Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/13/2003 12:40:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 12:43:52 AM EDT by Airwolf]
[url]http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=filmNews&storyID=2728575[/url] Latest Hollywood Script Deals Tue May 13, 2003 02:27 AM ET LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Crusader Entertainment has acquired the rights to Ayn Rand's 1957 novel "Atlas Shrugged" and has hired writer James V. Hart to adapt. Rated in a recent Library of Congress survey as the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, "Atlas" follows one woman's quest to solve the enigmatic question of "Who is John Galt?" -- the man who said he would stop the motor of the world and did. The story is set in a near-future United States whose economy is collapsing because of the inexplicable disappearance of the country's leading innovators and industrialists and the growth of arbitrary power on the part of its politicians. "It is a great story that has equal parts mystery and romance and also celebrates the limitless potential of the human spirit," Crusader president and CEO Howard Baldwin said. "The time is right to bring this ageless story to the big screen." Crusader acquired the rights to the novel from John Alialoro, who will executive produce the project. The company is in production on the biopic "Unchain My Heart: The Ray Charles Story." Hart's credits include "Tuck Everlasting," "Contact" and "Hook." Another story on it: [url]http://comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1052802914,42487,[/url] Crusader Maps Ayn Rand's Atlas Tuesday, May 13, 2003 12:15 CDT According to Variety, Phillip Anschutz's Crusader Entertainment has acquired film rights to Ayn Rand's bestselling novel Atlas Shrugged and tapped James V. Hart to write the screenplay. The story, first published in 1957, revovles around an economic collapse in the near-future United States as its top innovators and industrialists inexplicably disappear amid the growing power of politicians. The novel is also widely recognized for espousing Rand's philosphy of Objectivism, which advocates laissez-faire capitalism and self-sufficiency. Hart's credits include Contact, Hook, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. He's also contributed to Crusader/Paramount's upcoming Sahara and Paramount's Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 1:17:05 AM EDT
It will be a pitty if they pervert the story like so many other adaptations from literary works. Hopefully they hit the nail on the head with this one, especially seeing as it's been such a huge influence in our culture.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:24:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:47:11 AM EDT
If this is true, I hope it does not end up like The Fountainhead did. From all I've read Ayn Rand had vowed to never let another of her novels be hacked up into a movie.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:53:37 AM EDT
[i]If[/i] it's done properly... This will be the only way that those who are too lazy to read will get exposed to new (for them) ideas. Personally, my family and I enjoy gathering data and finding entertainment using this specialized apparatus known as the Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device (BOOK).
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:41:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 4:42:23 AM EDT by zx2dragon]
Culd be good, but maybe I am hoping too much. They could actually tie in some of the recent problems to this by updating the captains of industry to be dot commers. That's the real reason for the collapse and the bursting bubble, they have quietly slipped away and the gov is covering it up. I once proposed doing a Who Is John Galt as a humorous and/or civil rights action. A variety of posters with just a shadow of a person with various sayings underneath the pic. Across the top would be Who Is John Galt? Who Is John Galt? insert picture For years you have called me with your technical questions. You never realised how much I was needed until I was gone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:52:32 PM EDT
Who would be John Galt? I like Ed Norton, but Tom Selleck probably agrees with the philosophy more. Who should be Dagny? Tall, blonde, angular, a young Candace Bergen?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:58:43 PM EDT
this was going to be done as a miniseries a few years ago on TNT. Glad to see this being brought back to the spotlight. If its just a single 2-3 hr movie...its gonna be awful. And, i doubt there is enough interest to justify a trilogy of movies. I think the TV miniseries is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:10:09 PM EDT
I can see it now; they will bill it as a big screen adaptation of the most influential novel of our time then hack it into some PC crap and the unwashed masses will think Ayn Rand is moderate liberal. If it goes to a TV series it will be ruined for sure. No one who watches TV is going to want to here Rand’s message. That combination is a total mismatch of marketing. The only hope it has is a indy film by true objecivists. Sorry for the negativity. I remain skeptical of Hollywood’s ability to even understand the basic premise of the novel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:14:36 PM EDT
Pretty sweet provided they actually pull it off. Who's going to play the part of Henry Reardon? Ideas? -T.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:27:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JohnGalt: If this is true, I hope it does not end up like The Fountainhead did. From all I've read Ayn Rand had vowed to never let another of her novels be hacked up into a movie.
View Quote
... I don't see it working. If it were a 2 hour movie they would have to cover an average 9 pages per minute. ... Too much to be lost
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:04:42 PM EDT
After a Hollyweird re-write or two, John Galt will be a White Supremacist preaching bigotry and Galt's Gulch will be a survivalist compound where they try to overthrow the benevolent, multiracial, multiethnic NWO. The pro-capitalist, pro-freedom, indivualist message won't even make it to the cutting room floor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:32:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
Originally Posted By JohnGalt: If this is true, I hope it does not end up like The Fountainhead did. From all I've read Ayn Rand had vowed to never let another of her novels be hacked up into a movie.
View Quote
... I don't see it working. If it were a 2 hour movie they would have to cover an average 9 pages per minute. ... Too much to be lost
View Quote
I think you could lose about a third of the book and lose nothing. That said, it would be best as a mini-series rather than a feature. Hell, Galt's speech takes more than an hour. [;)]
Top Top