Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 5:35:16 PM EDT

just a question to you fellow old farts.
does your back pop on the following occasions and i am talking loud enough for others to notice and comment:

when you cough or sneeze?
when you laugh?
when you stretch?
during sex?

man my back pops just about every time on the above.  I don't know if I need to see a doctor or what.  usualy he tells me i am getting to the age where this "stuff" begins to show up.  i say at 35!!!!.  he says yes.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
just had to add when i have a few beers i seem to relax just enough for my back to feel like it needs to be popped and just by bending over and touching my toes i can usually pop about 6 vertebra.  bottom of the neck to lumbar.  man it feels good!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cough, sneeze or laugh, no.

Stretch, yeah sometimes.

During sex, well, not usually. But I always crack my knuckles first. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Are you overweight?  Most back problems start showing up in your older years.  I could stand to loose about thirty pounds myself. I hit forty on D-Day. I have problems with my lower back. And I'm not so proud of all the beer I've drinken when the pain hits.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i am 6'4" 240LBS so yea i could loose about 10-20 lbs.  i had back problems when i was younger so some of this is catching up to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 7'6 and 495 lbs and everytime I stand up my back pops,of course its hard to hear,as my ankles,knees allways pop first!

Should I lose weight ,get leg reduction,or just live with it?

Bob   [:D]   [BOOZE]   (JK)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My neck, back, knees, all seem to pop at random times.  But your right most of the time it feels great.  I figure no point in worrying about it unless it starts to hurt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Tweety walk on my back. It cracks from the top to the bottom and I love it. Cheaper than a realignment at a chiropractor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
whats a Tweety?
sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought an inversion table to loosen and starighten my spine.  

or you can try using Glucosamine and Condroiten dietary supplements.  Or Both.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
i have used a buddies inversion table.
how long do you have to hang before your back muscles relax and you start to see benefit?

i was on the thing for 10 minutes and never could get comfortable enough to relax and let my back realign.  he swears by it.  maybe i need to get one and use it everyday so i can get comfortable hanging like a bat and my back will relax.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
whats a Tweety?
sounds like fun.
View Quote

More versatile than an inversion table. Tastier than glucosamine.

[img]http://www.vibeplanet.com/pics/Bulletfest3/mrsbendover1919.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
You really have to use the inversion table often enough to relaxed on it to be effective.  You know the feeling you get when you stretch to touch your toes and you relax and your stretch increases ?  

Eventually the same thing happens on the table whilst doing your finest sleeping bat imitation...It helps to let your arms hang freely too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You really have to use the inversion table often enough to relaxed on it to be effective.  You know the feeling you get when you stretch to touch your toes and you relax and your stretch increases ?  

Eventually the same thing happens on the table whilst doing your finest sleeping bat imitation...It helps to let your arms hang freely too.
View Quote
Your going to stroke out on that thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Your going to stroke out on that thing.
View Quote

Is that why one side of me is numb? and I now I drool too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#16]
My back/neck pops when I sneeze or cough hard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Usually is a sign that parts of your spine are hypomobile (not moving enough) and that other parts have become hypermobile to compensate for the lack of flexibility.

Each segment or vertebra should move a certain amount.  Everyone carrying their own weight...so to speak.

You need to get moving. Walking frequently and stretching will help.  Glucosamine Sulfate helps to nourish and heal the joints, especially the weight bearing ones.  It is better that chondroitin sulfate due to its increased bio-availability.  Take a good multi-vitamin made by a respected manufacturer. Vitamin C is also helpful in that your connective tissue is made of collagen and collagen is formed from Vit. C.

I would also recommend seeing a Chiropractor.  He/She will evaluate and adjust the hypomobile segments and restore proper function to those segments.  The key is too move the ones that need it and leave the others alone.  

That is some basic advice.  Hope it helps.

John

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top