Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 2:17:29 PM EDT
Got a call from the GOP today:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186231[/url]

and got to thinking. How can we at AR15.com best protect our rights?

We simply cannot depend upon ANY elected official to do the right thing. We also cannot place our hopes in the incompetence of our adversaries. So many of you are banking upon the bill never reaching the Presidents desk, mostly because he has said he WOULD sign it.

So I suggest we protect our rights the old fashioned way, we buy them back. Of corse this is the job of the NRA to take our money and spend it on politicians who will then support the Constitution. Ahhh, politics. Nothing like paying someone to do what they were supposed to do anyway. I suggest a staff member receive and manage the funds.

Basically there are 2 ways to approach this:

1. Everyone call the GOP and pledge X amount of dollars IF GW. Bush pledges to NOT sign the bill. The volume of calls but minimal dollar amounts will factor accordingly.

2. We pool our cash ands make one call to the GOP and pledge X amount of dollars IF GW. Bush pledges to NOT sign the AW Ban. Even if it never reaches his desk, the message will. Read our lips, NO NEW GUN LAWS.

What we need is a person to offer the pledge, I nominate resident GOP guy Eric The Hun. And we need someone to accept the checks and do the related accounting. Please don't give me the job, I'm busy enough. [;)]

I suggest regular guys pledge $25.00. Team Members Pledge $50.00. And Dealers/Industry Partners pledge $100 or more.

I know a LOT of you  guys are broke but this is possibly the most important issue we will face. IF the AW Ban is reinstated that will NOT be the end of it. It will pave the way for future legislation until we are back to muzzle loading weapons.

This is all or nothing, no compromise. If we get anything less than a absolute pledge to NOT sign the AW Ban they get NOTHING from us. No Compromise.

We will enclose a SASE for the return of our checks should it be necessary. At that point it will only have cost us 2 stamps and a very questionable future.

Also I think we need a minimum of $5,000 to even attempt this. If we cannot get at least that much in pledges I think this is a dead issue.

I am IN for $100.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If GW Bush changes his tune, and proclaims he "Sees the light",...

...In for $50
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Ahhhhhh, capitalism at its finest!

Count me in baby!

And then maybe we can get the Commiefornia gun laws repealed!

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So you guys think it's a good thing to have to buy off the president to keep your rights?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in for $50 if he states he will not sign ANY version of any bill rewnewing the AWB or further restricting gun-owners rights.

Gotta make sure there's no wiggle-room for something coming in as a rider on another bill or hidden in some obscure language.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Group Buy, huh? How much for a governor's mansion?

Count me in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
$50 to the Republican Party if he doesn't sign the new AWB.
$50 to the Libertarians if he does sign it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you guys think it's a good thing to have to buy off the president to keep your rights?
View Quote

You're right. Let's not do a fucking thing. Thanks, you just saved me $100 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$5000 wouldn't get GWB to even bat an eye. He will sign the AWB if he gets it because he wants to appear to be bi-partisan. He doesn't want Lieberman going on his campaign rounds saying GWB just made "machineguns" [rolleyes] legal. This is a campaign issue not a firearm issue to GWB, he wants to be re-elected and doesn't want to give the Democrats any "ammo".
View Quote

First, I wonder how much money is being raised by ordinary folks to get him to sign it. See the point yet?

Second, this is fail safe. If he won't do it it costs us TWO STAMPS. But it will still send a message. Worse thing that can happen is he goes for it and actually takes the check.

Third, $5,000 is a minimum. If this ball gets rolling and we actually get support on this thing (especially from ALL THE GUN BOARDS) we might raise a hell of a lot mor than 5k.

And to everyone who has yet to reply: Put up or shut the fuck up. We are putting our money where our mouth is. If you're only gonna reply to bitch and whine, fuck off instead.

*Last part was NOT directed to Wolfpack.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting idea. I just responded to a donation request by the RNC. I wrote a check for $250.00 voided it, copied it and included the copy with a letter explaining why I wasn't including a valid check. Obviously having to do with GWB's stated postion on the AWB renewal. I did include a valid check for $5.00 to hopefully indicate my sincerity to actually provide the voided funds if the circumstance were different.

I'll pledge that $250.00 to this effort.

Thanks SteyrAUG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]
What if we pledge our votes instead? Just get as many people as possible to send a letter saying simply "Veto the AWB and I will vote for you. Sign it and I will vote for whoever the Democrats nominate."
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in for $50.

Just wanted to let those people who "just on their ass" hoping that things will turn out okay, that I'm ALSO circulating pre-written form letters at the Probation dept (where I work) and also trying to disseminate information at two shooting ranges regarding the ANTI LAW SUIT BILL AND THE AWB...

[red]If you want this AWB to sunset...DO SOMETHING, NOW![/red]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You're right. Let's not do a fucking thing. Thanks, you just saved me $100 bucks.
View Quote

I laughed out loud at your response.  Good one! [:D]
The "Gun Guys" are a difficult bunch to get moving on something like this.
I'm sending my extra political cash to the NRA for my Membership. Plus a little more every paycheck.
I like your idea, though.
SteyrAUG, not to hijack your thread, but to add an idea to expand on it:
What if you contacted your business partners for the $100+ campaign contributions; and the members of the Gun Boards became NRA Members, too?
That would speed up the Gun Industry contributions and substantially increase the funds and membership of the NRA...sort of a double hit.
Just an idea.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Just thought of a catch. Large political donations have restrictions/conditions so someone with more motivation than me might want to investigate that aspect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
In
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just thought of a catch. Large political donations have restrictions/conditions so someone with more motivation than me might want to investigate that aspect.
View Quote

I don't believe there's a problem if the donor is from mainland China.  Do we have any members from there? [rolleyes]

Count me in for $50.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What if we pledge our votes instead? Just get as many people as possible to send a letter saying simply "Veto the AWB and I will vote for you. Sign it and I will vote for whoever the Democrats nominate."
View Quote

Checks outweight signatures. Even the fucknuts at DU can organize a signature petition. Money talks. If we were in a truly representative government we wouldn't be dealing with this shit. But we aren't and this is how you get things done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got a call from the GOP today:

2. We pool our cash ands make one call to the GOP and pledge X amount of dollars IF GW. Bush pledges to NOT sign the AW Ban. Even if it never reaches his desk, the message will. Read our lips, NO NEW GUN LAWS.

[red]What we need is a person to offer the pledge, I nominate resident GOP guy Eric The Hun. Also I think we need a minimum of $5,000 to even attempt this.[/red]  If we cannot get at least that much in pledges I think this is a dead issue.

I am IN for $100.

View Quote

I'm not so sure you could get ETH to solicit bribery to the President of the United States!!.....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope some of this money goes to Lincoln Chafee's re-election campaign.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The man has a valid point – not to mention the fact that this has "Public Relations Disaster" written all over it.

Last election, it was the Demos crowing over an over-zealous NRA official's boast about having virtually unlimited access to a Bush whitehouse. This time, I'll let you write your own headlines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Im in for $50.00

Styer...How come you can have a filthy mouth around here and I get a shitload of IM's from Mods when I do it?...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll go at least $50 provided that ETH brokers it.

I also think that maybe we should donate the money to a stalwart 2nd Amendment defender rather than the Republicans in general.

A little extra message to the Republicans about what gets votes and money... maybe Tom Delay if he leads the charge that kills the renewal?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The man has a valid point – not to mention the fact that this has "Public Relations Disaster" written all over it.

Last election, it was the Demos crowing over an over-zealous NRA official's boast about having virtually unlimited access to a Bush whitehouse. This time, I'll let you write your own headlines.
View Quote

No he does NOT have a valid point.

Furthermore, he isn't helping a goddamn thing and neither are you. WE are trying to do something about it and you guys are just complaining. Either help or get the hell out of the way.

And we are NOT the NRA. Nobody is gonna contact the media. Your comparisson to the NRA issue and suggestion that we could have the same thing happen is absurd and another example of your offering nothing.

If the ban is reinstated, and followed by more restrictive legislation, at least WE know we tried to do something about it.

What will you be able to say? All you've done is criticize our attempt. You are like a sports fan in the stands after a game saying "I knew they weren't gonna win."

If you don't wanna help that is fine. DO NOTHING. But quit complaining about us.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]

I also think that maybe we should donate the money to a stalwart 2nd Amendment defender rather than the Republicans in general.

A little extra message to the Republicans about what gets votes and money... maybe Tom Delay if he leads the charge that kills the renewal?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll do $50. Give it to any Republican who votes against the bill, IF the bill goes down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Furthermore, he isn't helping a goddamn thing and neither are you. WE are trying to do something about it and you guys are just complaining. Either help or get the hell out of the way.
View Quote

Yes, yes, YOU are the true saviors of the rest of us.

Christ, get off your high horse! This is not a particularly good idea, and berating anyone who says so won't help matters. Even doing nothing is better than doing something...well, I'll let it stand right there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, yes, YOU are the true saviors of the rest of us.

Christ, get off your high horse! This is not a particularly good idea, and berating anyone who says so won't help matters. Even doing nothing is better than doing something...well, I'll let it stand right there.
View Quote

Oh Fuck you and your high horse.

I swear I put up $100 towards something that "might" help and you are giving me shit.

If you don't think it's a good idea, fine. Just don't contribute.

And the fact that the system should be truly representative is accurate but not the case.

You got a beef. Fine. What is it?

Do your really think the Washington Post is gonna break this story? Do you honestly feel that is a realistic scenario?

Editted to add: Doing NOTHING got us the 94 AW Ban in the first place. I don't see how things could get much worse. I'm gonna try doing "something."
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

BART!!!

QUIT PLAYING WITH THE KEYBOARD!

LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Nice triple tap.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
An auction might work well to bring $$ to the cause, but I will still ad $25.  

But a furniture set would be neat to win.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
An auction might work well to bring $$ to the cause, but I will still ad $25.  

But a furniture set would be neat to win.  
View Quote

I think I'd rather just have a few of my rights back. I miss them. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
this has "Public Relations Disaster" written all over it.

View Quote

I don't fucking believe my fucking eyes! WHAT did you just say??????????

No, I have to read this one more time.

Okay, I read it again. I STILL don't believe my fucking eyes.

WHAT the fuck happened last election????

Bush won in Gore's homestate and in the Democrat-rich South because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [stick]

Republicans took control of the Senate because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [chair]

Republicans EXPANDED their control of the House because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [pound]

[b][red]WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK[/b][/red] what the Dems say about gun-control?

[b]What they said last time made them L-O-S-E!!!![/b]

[b]GORE LOST BECAUSE OF IT!!!!

THEY ARE GONNA LOSE AGAIN BECAUSE OF IT!!!! [/b]

We are on the winning side of this issue!

This is the most Pro-RKBA House of Representatives we've ever seen in our lifetimes!

All we have to do is SHUT BUSH UP about the AWB.

Make Bush afraid to lift ONE GAWDDAMN FINGER to prod this bill through Congress.

Make Bush stuff a sock in it and let Congress do their job and put these gun bills in the meat shredder - along with their sponsors.

I can not fucking believe that you want to cower and hide because of what the Democrats MIGHT say!!!

Who in the FUCK was wearing the stilettos that crushed your grapes!?!?? [;D]

What a fucking embarassment!

Okay, if you want to curl up in the fetal position behind your couch until the boogieman Democrats are gone - you just go right ahead.

But GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY of [b]MEN[/b] who have the nads to make a stand and be heard shouting and fighting for our dwindling rights rather than simply whimpering under the bed.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Macallan,

You been hittin the Johnny Walker Red again? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Macallan,

You been hittin the Johnny Walker Red again? [:D]
View Quote
Yeah well, that's beside the point. [BD]

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in for $25 (now Steyr- I'm buying the President at wholesale, right? Without your usual well deserved markup?)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
this has "Public Relations Disaster" written all over it.

View Quote

I don't fucking believe my fucking eyes! WHAT did you just say??????????

No, I have to read this one more time.

Okay, I read it again. I STILL don't believe my fucking eyes.

WHAT the fuck happened last election????

Bush won in Gore's homestate and in the Democrat-rich South because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [stick]

Republicans took control of the Senate because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [chair]

Republicans EXPANDED their control of the House because of the [b]GUN-CONTROL ISSUE!!!![/b] [pound]

[b][red]WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK[/b][/red] what the Dems say about gun-control?

[b]What they said last time made them L-O-S-E!!!![/b]

[b]GORE LOST BECAUSE OF IT!!!!

THEY ARE GONNA LOSE AGAIN BECAUSE OF IT!!!! [/b]

We are on the winning side of this issue!

This is the most Pro-RKBA House of Representatives we've ever seen in our lifetimes!

All we have to do is SHUT BUSH UP about the AWB.

Make Bush afraid to lift ONE GAWDDAMN FINGER to prod this bill through Congress.

Make Bush stuff a sock in it and let Congress do their job and put these gun bills in the meat shredder - along with their sponsors.

I can not fucking believe that you want to cower and hide because of what the Democrats MIGHT say!!!

Who in the FUCK was wearing the stilettos that crushed your grapes!?!?? [;D]

What a fucking embarassment!

Okay, if you want to curl up in the fetal position behind your couch until the boogieman Democrats are gone - you just go right ahead.

But GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY of [b]MEN[/b] who have the nads to make a stand and be heard shouting and fighting for our dwindling rights rather than simply whimpering under the bed.

View Quote

Did I ever tell you that you [size=6][b]ROCK!!![/b][/size=6] [headbang] [headbang]

Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm in for $25 (now Steyr- I'm buying the President at wholesale, right? Without your usual well deserved markup?)
View Quote

Since I'm gonna make some other poor sap coordinate and organize it, there will be no Happy Meal for me. [:D]

I only came up with the idea. I'm not the best guy to get it done. After all philosophically I'm a Libertarian. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top