Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 7:19:54 PM EDT
No Bullshit, none a this "I heard from a guy in a bar" crap, but who can honestly prove that even 1 Chinese restaurant served cat.

We've all heard it for years, but nobody seems to have substantial proof.

Sounds like an ACSOT to me! (ACryptical Story, Often Told)

Let's hear it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can say with any cetainty is that there are some very strange looking cuts of chicken in Chinese resturants. They don't look anything like KFC or Church's.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No Bullshit, none a this "I heard from a guy in a bar" crap, but who can honestly prove that even 1 Chinese restaurant served cat.

Let's hear it.
View Quote

I'm sure if you wore your dark glasses & cane the local Chinese restaurant would have no problem with the SEC & would bring kitty something off the menu...oh, wait..nevermind [;)][:E]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If I found out that my favorite chinese restaurant served cat, Id probably still eat there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
There is an old Chinese Restaurant in town named Kitty's.  No kidding!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont know about cats or Chinese, but I do know a nice little place in Seoul that does a mean dog!

[img]http://snoopygirl77.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/brandipaw.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
One very simple question,
have you ever seen a cat hanging around the back of a chinese restaurant [size=6][red][b]?[/b][/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Being half chinese I know for a fact not all chinese eat dogs and cats. It is more of a regional thing. Many people don't know this but the chinese from different regions differ in alot of ways. For example it is a stereo type that most chinese people are short when in fact it is mainly the chinese from the southern part of china that are short. If you go to north china you will find the chinese there quit tall. I think the average height their ranges from 5'9'' to over 6'. The height difference is probably due to difference in the diet. the northerners have a more nutricious diet. Alot of chinese don't even speak the same language or have the same customs.  They differ regionaly there just like here.
EDIT: Also many chinese restuarants in the U.S. are not run by chinese but by vietnamese(who do eat dogs).
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the truth.

It happened to me.

About 1994 (95?), I was the opening regional manager for the new restaurant in Fayetteville, NC. During the time we were building the store, I ate once or twice a week at a chinese buffet across the street. Food was tasty, and it was relatively inexpensive.

The staff always chuckled at my preference, and I didn't care.

One day, after we had been open a while, I went to my restaurant on a business visit, and one of the employees handed me a newspaper article that had been clipped out of the paper.

The headline read "local restaurant cited for serving domestic animals" or something similar.

It happened. Anybody in Fayetteville can check the paper's archives for such an article.

As a matter of fact, I would appreciate it if somebody could find this article. I'd like to have a copy of it, just for situations like this.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been told they eat them in The Philippines too.
View Quote

I don't know about cats, but they eat dogs in the Philippines. When I was there on vacation, I probably ate some. I guess it will just remain "mystery meat" since I bought it off some people selling bbq on the street. It was VERY good though. I'd eat it again!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
does anyone have the pic of the Chinese guy holding a skinned cat with several skinned cats behind him on a line?

that pic was hilarious!

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#16]
On a related subject, I ate lunch at this little ol' dive in Springfield and ordered their BBQ sammich and I couuld almost SWEAR that it was 'coon.  Now, mind you, I like the way 'coon tastes, but it really made me wonder what they were pulling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#17]
A Chinese restaurant in my area was caught serving cat.  No BS, as a result a lot of people refuse to eat Chinese in my area, regardless of whether it was the restaurant serving kitty or not.... personally I could give a darn as long as they cook all the parasites out of it [BD]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]
TASTES LIKE CHIKIN' [8D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Proof positive [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/141064/xcgrt(2).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I was talking to a state health inspector and he told me the worst code violators were owners of Chinese restaurants.  The cat and dog question came up, and he told me he asked an owner about cats and dogs, and the owner was honest with him.  Beef, pork, and chicken are easy to come by here, but dogs and cats are premium items.  He'll serve them to friends and family, but otherwise he'll have to trust you and you will pay extra for it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The local health department shut down a Viet restaurant a few years ago for serving cat.  Had cats in cages in the kitchen. True story, made the papers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let's hear it.
View Quote

Whadda ya mean "proof", we supposed to save the bones or sumphin'??  [;D]

(How did SEC's checkup go the other day?)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#24]
There was a rest in Oshkosh Wi that got closed down for it.
One of the busboys who worked there and spared in one of the local dojos told me it was true...and warned me off going there for a while- he was a good kid ...I believed him..

SE asians were barred from working at the humane society or adopting cats and dogs from there..

For a while the humane society had a real shortage of both cats and dogs...
For what its worth...

I can guarantee cats and dogs and just about every thing else that moves gets eaten
in SE Asia...the Korean make no secret of the torture killing of dogs before they are eaten...(it is supposed to enhance their reproductive power magic-as if they need reproductive power...)

So the likelyhood of cats & dogs being served here in America...is more than possible
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#25]
This msg only pertains to the US and my geographical location.

No cats around here.  The only thing I know for sure is in the food are fckn bugs/roaches.  Chinese restaurants are notorious for being dirty as shit.  Of course dirty can be applied to plenty of other eateries, but I just happen to notice Chinese restaurants are right at the top of the dirty level.

Choose your restaurant carefully!

Inspect your food!

If you don't recognize it don't eat it!

LA Times used to publish a list of all the restaurants in LA county that got busted for food/health violations.  I noticed there were a lot of chi-com, Mexican and donut joints.  Also some KFC, DelTaco also El Pollo Loco if I recall.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One very simple question,
have you ever seen a cat hanging around the back of a chinese restaurant [size=6][red][b]?[/b][/red][/size=6]
View Quote

No, just parts of him/her.

One of my uncles years ago used to be a commercial coffee salesman and therefore would use the back doors to the kitchens to enter. One popular Chinese resturant here was on his stops. He went in one day and the back door would not open all the way, what was blocking it was a pile of fresh cat heads, and I don't mean biscuits!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#28]
A couple months back, my wife and her coworkers at the vet clinic ordered Chinese takeout one day for lunch.  Somebody found a piece of bone in their lunch, and began to inspect it.  The vet was certain it was a vertebrae from either a cat or a rat.

Needless to say they don't order out from that place much any more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Pasadena Texas. The chinese resteraunt (buffet) on the corner of spencer and burke got caught serving cat or dog meat a few years back. It was on the local news.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#30]
The Cats in the Kettle...

[url]http://www.abcs.com/townsend/Cat-Kettle.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, scratch the takeout for lunch.

...and they say bad stuff about the Jews swindling people.

Fact is, most of those folks have been so poor and so f**ked over by their lousy governments that they've got no compuction about swindling their fellow man. My dad, an emigre, has a hard time going to any restaurant because of all the shit he's heard/seen. Really a shame.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know about cats in Chinese food, how about lizard parts in Applebee's salads?

[url]http://www.kcrg.com/article.aspx?art_id=58394&cat_id=123[/url]

Bilster
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Everytime you mastrubate, you get a plate of Kung Pao Kitty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Yaknow.. there's not actually anything bad about the meat; it's probably cleaner than beef, and it's certainly fresh!

Plus, I hate cats.. I may be anthropomorphizing, but the bastards are arrogant sons-of-bitches.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#35]
by Llanero:

On a related subject, I ate lunch at this little ol' dive in Springfield and ordered their BBQ sammich and I couuld almost SWEAR that it was 'coon. Now, mind you, I like the way 'coon tastes, but it really made me wonder what they were pulling.
View Quote

I have to call BS on this one...  I've lived here for most of my life and have tried if not all then 99% of the 'hole in the wall' BBQ places.  It may have tasted like 'coon but most of the people that run the holes (good and bad) are... um,... let's just say that 'coon hunting probably doesn't rank too high on their list of pastimes.

With regards to Cashew Kitty - Springfield is supposedly the birthplace of Cashew Chicken.  To coin a phrase "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a chinese restaurant" [:D].  Never had a 'chicken' nugget mew when eating it, but there are some interesting 'cuts', and the places can be very dirty.  Just a little piece of advice, ALWAYS ask for all white meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top