Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 5:08:45 PM EDT
1) I saw most of the movie 'The Last Castle'. What I saw was pretty good. Because the power went out, I missed the last part. I was at the part where the trebuchet attacks the Colonel, and the power went out. Stupid trees. Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a copy of this to download?

2) I was thinking about this in science class. Heat goes away by dispersing to other matter. But heat is often created. I thought, wouldn't everything get hotter? So then I thought, well that energy transfers to other forms of energy. Then I got kinda confused. I'm guessing most energy is in kind of a neverending cycle through various stages, because of the Law of Conservation of Energy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm guessing most energy is in kind of a neverending cycle through various stages, because of the Law of Conservation of Energy.
View Quote

Sorry about the movie. Ending is great. I won't give it away, but he shows his leadership ability well. Anyway, you are correct. The law of conservation of energy says that energy, no matter in what reaction or movement, can neither be created nor destroyed. The flow of energy is a neverending 100% efficient cycle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing most energy is in kind of a neverending cycle through various stages, because of the Law of Conservation of Energy.
View Quote

Sorry about the movie. Ending is great. I won't give it away, but he shows his leadership ability well. Anyway, you are correct. The law of conservation of energy says that energy, no matter in what reaction or movement, can neither be created nor destroyed. The flow of energy is a neverending 100% efficient cycle.
View Quote

I've heard the ending is great. Don't anyone give it away! I love how they set up defenses with the wall... Also, I believe the Law says 'can neither be created nor destroyed by ordinary means.'
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
On question 2, ask your teacher about entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.  I couldn't find a decent link to a web site, except for college notes and philosophy discussions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

2) I was thinking about this in science class. Heat goes away by dispersing to other matter. But heat is often created. I thought, wouldn't everything get hotter? So then I thought, well that energy transfers to other forms of energy. Then I got kinda confused. I'm guessing most energy is in kind of a neverending cycle through various stages, because of the Law of Conservation of Energy.
View Quote

Heat doesn't "go away".  Heat is transfered by one or more of the following: conduction, convection, or radiation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Heat doesn't "go away".  Heat is transfered by one or more of the following: conduction, convection, or radiation.
View Quote

That's what I meant - it transfers to something else.

AeroE - she wouldn't know. She's a very dumb blonde.

What is everyone else's opinion on the movie? Please don't give away the end.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The universe will eventually end in a big, same-temperature soup.

You can collect more heat in one place, but it takes energy to do that. What happens if you stick a refrigerator with the door open in a perfectly insulated room and supply power to it? The room will wind up getting hotter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top