User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, pretty much, I had a grooms cake.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
SON! What do you think we are down here rich or something? Sit down dinner, she was lucky to eat off a plate. Was it a paper plate by any chance? Grooms cakes are usually in the shape of something the groom likes or just plain strange like an armadillo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My g/f went to a wedding reception in the South this weekend without me and it sounded a little different. There was no sit down waiter served meal, just a buffet, and there was something called a "groom's cake." Is this normal in the South?
View Quote

Yeah, thats pretty much it.  Funny though that she didn't mention anything about us impaling a half dozen or so yankees and then using them as skeeter repellent torches.  She must have left before dark. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The Grooms cake is something fairly new.  Just started becoming a "de reguire" item in the past few years.

Other than that, Buffet vs. Sit down is the same everywhere.  Dad's deeper pockets gets a sit down 5 course meal, while those making do on less, do with less.

FWIW,

My sister had THE fairy tale wedding - Grace cathederal n Charleston, sit down reception, the works.  Was divorced in less than a year.

My sister in law had The wedding of the CENTURY- Viscaya in Miami, 8 course meal, Dom flowing freely, about 250 guests.  Was divorced in 1.5 years

My wife and I were married at the local Episcopal church, had a minor reception with finger sandwiches and the like (which my grandmother (God rest her soul) helped make.  Very simple and understated - on purpose.  Been married 23.5 years.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter got married today. Got them to fly to Vegas to get maried and honeymoon. They liked that and went. Sure saved some money and did not have to dress up like a penguin.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicken?

No crawdads and fried pickles?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
where's the pot of greens and cornbread?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Grooms cake is something fairly new.  Just started becoming a "de reguire" item in the past few years.

Other than that, Buffet vs. Sit down is the same everywhere.  Dad's deeper pockets gets a sit down 5 course meal, while those making do on less, do with less.

FWIW,

My sister had THE fairy tale wedding - Grace cathederal n Charleston, sit down reception, the works.  Was divorced in less than a year.

My sister in law had The wedding of the CENTURY- Viscaya in Miami, 8 course meal, Dom flowing freely, about 250 guests.  Was divorced in 1.5 years

My wife and I were married at the local Episcopal church, had a minor reception with finger sandwiches and the like (which my grandmother (God rest her soul) helped make.  Very simple and understated - on purpose.  Been married 23.5 years.

View Quote

Amen, brother.  I got married by the Justice of the Peace, no reception to speak of, we were way too poor.  Renewed our vows in front of our pastor a couple of years later.  Been married to the same gal for 15 wonderful years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, thats pretty much it.  Funny though that she didn't mention anything about us impaling a half dozen or so yankees and then using them as skeeter repellent torches.  She must have left before dark. [;D]
View Quote

BWAHAHA!!! [:D]

Mine was buffet style.  Common.

The "sit down" dinner was the rehearsal dinner.  Common.

I had two groom's cakes - two huge cheesecakes - one blueberry, one strawberry - that's what I wanted.  Damn, they were good!!!

My wife barely got to eat because she was doing the "social butterfly greeting everybody" thing.

I met lots of people too - while I was eating. [:D]

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I grew up and lived in the South until about two years ago.

The groom's cake is usually something comical and/or fun.

My brother-in-laws' cakes have been a guitar, crawfish, and catfish.

I've seen lots of fish cakes, trucks, ducks, and sports oriented themes.  I've even seen a very large cake made up to resemble the large screen TV that was presented as a gift later that evening.

As for me, I was a love sick fool and agreed to get maried up North, so I missed out on my cake.

If we ever do that vow renewel thing, maybe I'll have an AUG or FAL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
She said she heard those grooms cakes came in the shapes of footballs etc.
View Quote

My Grooms cake was in the shape of a ball-and-chain.

Hehehehehe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...impaling a half dozen or so yankees and then using them as skeeter repellent torches.  
View Quote

[shock]

Whatever I said, I was just kidding.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Grew up in Alabama but something happened and now I live in NJ...not sure how that happened.  Anyway met my wife while in school in AL and we moved to NJ a few months before the wedding (needed work).  Entire wedding budget was $4500 for everything which I thought was expensive at the time but man it went fast.  We had a buffet reception with drinks and it was a nice event and everyone had a nice time.  

Been to several NJ weddings and they are all the same, expensive catered meal, formal reception, band the whole thing and they complain that their $20,000 budget (for the reception) is not enough.  Everytime I go to a wedding here I just think about what they could have done with the money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Sit down 5 course meals are NOT the "norm", those types of weddings are for well heeled individuals. My one cousin had a friggin fairy tale wedding, 1/2 acre tent, outside dance floor, a flatbed truck full of flowers, they imported a "bridge" into my aunts front yard (waterfront), two normal sized tables (about 2.5'X7') FULL of hard liquor, a raw bar, enough shrimp to send you into anaphlactic shock, and a PORTABLE BEER TRUCK!!! IIRCit had 5 taps, and came with 10 kegs.

OTOH my wife and I had a small service with about 30-40 people there. There was a reception back at my aunts house afterwards. No "grooms cake" so to speak, but at the reception my aunt broke out a 5 layer Rice crispy cake (alternate layers were choclate) covered in all kinds of stuff, to include matchbox mustangs (a passion of mine).

Now about this skewering Yankees, ya'll want yer asses whooped again?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
My grooms cake was a chocolate underwater scene cake with a little diver guy on it. Weather you have a sit down dinner or buffet with plastic cups and paper plates depends solely on how much money she wants to waste on the reception.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife and I also paid for our own.

I was a member at the local legion post, and we had the reception in the fairly nice banquet room there.

The member price for a buffet and pre cut cake for the guests in the same color as the small cake on top of the fake cake was $25 per head, that included open bar for 3 hours, a good time was had by all and some more well off guests, unknown to us at the time, then paid for an extra two hours of bar service.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup...that's it!  So that's what they call it...a "buffet"?  One of them lines y'all get in to get yer grub?  We had one at my son's wedding here at the house on the pond with them skeeters, critters and such.  Lots of honey baked ham, cheese, and all the fixins' on paper plates, plastic cups and lots RCs and Moon Pies for the kids and adult beverages like champaigne for the sissys and even some [b]RECIPE[/b].  (If you have to ask, you don't want it!  Y'all wouldn't understand and probably couldn't handle it, you being a Yankee and all.)  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Longshanks: ... The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots. Perhaps the time has come to reinstitute an old custom. Grant them prima noctes. First night, when any common girl inhabiting their lands is married, our nobles shall have sexual rights to her on the night of her wedding. If we can't get them out, we breed them out. That should fetch just the kind of lords we want to Scotland, taxes or no taxes.
View Quote

The Italians did't have anything on the English!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#23]
That's cool Jarhead. I used to live in Ft. Myers Heights, right down the road from the Quarterdeck.

The grooms cake is an Old South tradition that has beceome more popular recently.

I think the generalization about weddings in the south vs. the north are silly. If I had digital pics of my wedding reception I'd post one. Far nicer than most of you yankee heathens will ever see. We served brook trout w/ a crab remoulade. Four different types of wine were served with dinner. Yes, it was seated. A jazz pianist played during the pre-dinner cocktails/hors d'oeuvres and a jazz quartet played during the dinner.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#24]
My former office mate spent more time planning the wedding than picking the groom.

I predict the wedding will last about six months.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife and I got married at a country church way down a dirt road, between feeding and milking.  The whole shebang took about two weeks to plan - the preacher was a cousin, his wife picked the piano, their daughter sang, and the waitin' music came from pre-recorded tapes in a stero set up on the side.  Another cousin made the cake and the reception (sandwiches, cake, punch, and soda, no booze) was in the back yard a my wife's folks.  The weather was spectacular; late October, mild temperatures and clear blue skies.  We've been married 14 years.

The groom's cake is fairly popular here, but not universal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Grew up in Alabama but something happened and now I live in NJ...not sure how that happened..
View Quote

Were you bad? [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top