Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 3:57:36 PM EDT
   My parents bought a farm back in 1989.  It has 3 ponds, two of them are about 4 acres, the third is about 8 acres.  It used to be a business where people could come pay a flat rate to fish and pay for their Catfish by the lb.  It was originally stocked with somewhere around 5000 Bass and 5000 Catfish about 35 years ago.  

The ponds have not been open for business since 1989.  My father doesn't need the $$$ or the hassle of opening it up.  Yet they still have been feeding the Catfish about two or three times weekly.  

There are some BIG catfish and BIG bass in there!  There are also Crappie, Bluegills, some VERY large Coy and some 3 foot long Carp.

I have been shooting the Carp when I can, I think they eat fish eggs so I eliminate them when possible.  I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.  I'm also not sure about the overall "balance" of the ponds.  Shouldn't they be fished in regularly to help keep the population "healthy"?  I have eaten about 100 Catfish total in the past 14 years, the rest of my family would account for maybe 100 more.

BTW, I cought a 12 lb bass about 4 years ago and threw it back in.  If any of you guys like to fish, and ever get this way, let me know!

Balming
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
tap tap tap---Anyone???
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds good. where in al? shoot the darn carp
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like fun!!!

A 12lb Bass?

schweeet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top