Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In response to requests for follow up information…

The Portuguese Man-O-War wrapped around my body six times and was about fifteen feet long when I finally got it peeled off of me.  Growing up in Hawaii, we are told to piss on the stings from these good-for-nothing purple sumbitches, which I’ve done when stung by the normal tiny ones.  Well, there was no way I was going to let people piss all over body, so I just dealt with it.  Meat tenderizer given to me by the Bellows AFS lifeguard worked a little, but that day was ruined and the next few days were spent scratching at the stings because they become to itchy.

The centipede was a little worse.  We were on a camping/hunting trip on a beach along the north coast of the island of Lanai where the axis deer come to in the morning to lick the salt.  The sun rises over Haleakala on Maui with views of Molokai; it is one of the most incredible places to hunt that you can imagine.  Anyway, I wake up in the middle of the night thinking my face is on fire.  I brush at my face to see this enormous Hawaiian centipede running away.  My face swelled up so much that my eye was shut for two days – not exactly good for hunting.  And yes, it hurt like a bitch.
[img]http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/images/gallery/centipedes/Tanz.%20yellow-legged(a){gb}.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot that when I was about 10 I was bitten by a snake(we called this variety of garter snake "red racers").  I never played with snakes after that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I was attacked by a swarm of bee's in the mid 70's.
Stung about 30 times. One of those critters stung me in side the mouth.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In response to requests for follow up information…

The Portuguese Man-O-War wrapped around my body six times and was about fifteen feet long when I finally got it peeled off of me.  Growing up in Hawaii, we are told to piss on the stings from these good-for-nothing purple sumbitches, which I’ve done when stung by the normal tiny ones.  Well, there was no way I was going to let people piss all over body, so I just dealt with it.  Meat tenderizer given to me by the Bellows AFS lifeguard worked a little, but that day was ruined and the next few days were spent scratching at the stings because they become to itchy.

The centipede was a little worse.  We were on a camping/hunting trip on a beach along the north coast of the island of Lanai where the axis deer come to in the morning to lick the salt.  The sun rises over Haleakala on Maui with views of Molokai; it is one of the most incredible places to hunt that you can imagine.  Anyway, I wake up in the middle of the night thinking my face is on fire.  I brush at my face to see this enormous Hawaiian centipede running away.  My face swelled up so much that my eye was shut for two days – not exactly good for hunting.  And yes, it hurt like a bitch.
[url]http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/images/gallery/centipedes/Tanz.%20yellow-legged(a){gb}.jpg[/url]
View Quote

CRAP!  I forgot about that damn centipede that bit/stung me in 1984 on Oahu.  I stepped on him just after dark right in our front yard and he really got me. [shock] You are right...it hurts like hell.  I literally dropped down and grabbed my foot.  I was NOT expecting anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
In college we asked the waiter at Ruth Chris in Baltimore to doggie bag our steak bones.  We started talking about dogs and after I mentioned we lived in a fraternity house with 8 dogs he gave us 16 giant meaty leftover bones.  Every dog got a bone + one in the freezer for later.  So, while walking around the building playing doggie Santa Claus I went into a dark apartment looking for the last boneless dog.  Couldnt find him in the living room so I put a bone in his bowl, one in the freezer and started down the dark narrow hallway to the front door of the apartment.  The 70 lbs mutt met me halfway after coming out of a bedroom.  He started growling and jumped up to bite my face.  I smashed his head against the wall and stepped back.  Once more, same deal, but this time I smashed him good.  Dazed, HE backed up this time, I managed to back him into a bedroom and I escaped out the front door.  The funny part is he knew he did wrong.  I got the owner from another apartment and brought him back to the dog.  As soon as the dog saw me he started whimpering and walked over and cowered at my feet.  Kinda like he didnt recognise me and said he was sorry.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. In the first incident, I had a race to see if I could run faster than he can ride a bike. As I was about 3/4 the way running down the block, a dog ran out of a garage and bit me on the ankle. Needless to say, I lost the race.

Another time while taking a huge dump, somehow an ant bit me on the nutsack, which hurt like crazy. I reached down and squished the *ucker. I can't believe how a little thing can cause so much pain.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
One time while mowing the yard I stepped on a ant hill, they were pissed and taught me not to do that again. Ant bites hurt
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was 8 I was playing around in a huge pile of wood scraps left over from a neighbor's recent room addition. I felt something hit my pant leg and looked down to see a snake. I hauled ass to the house and the neighbor killed the snake which turned out to be a copperhead. Thank God for bell bottom pants in the early 70's.

When I was twelve or thirteen a buddy and I were trying to fight off a pack of 4-5 dogs that had been chasing us through the neighborhood. The smallest dog in the pack, a
weiner dog mixed mutt, slipped around behind me and somehow managed to jump up high enough to bite me on the ass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Hunting wild hawgs with dogs, we catch and take them out alive. One night we bayed a 130 pound boar hawg, went in to grab his back legs and flip him when the catch dogs decided that I had him and let go. I didn't have a good grip and he got loose and decided to use me for a chew toy. I got a total of 75 stitches and he got BBQ'd at a later date.

playing with a large King snake and he got tired of it and grabbed ahold of my hand between the thumb and first finger, couldn't let go of him fast enough....

use to set rabbit boxes as a youngin, well the first rabbit I ever caught, I reached in and grabbed ahold of him. BIG MISTAKE! Found out that a cottontail isn't a small cuddly defenseless animal. He chewed my arm up pretty good, after that I had a old welding glove and a cut down baseball bat, to subdue them with.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
do beavers count?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Critters that have attacked me;
Deer, Actually jumped up on me trying to muscle some food out of me, I was about 6yo then.
Chipmunk, fat little bastard bit my finger, once again looking for handout.
Mouse, Caught him alive in a cooler, Lil bugger leapt up and bit my finger.
Bumble bees, A few times. I like to chase them around outside using a blowtorch or a weedwhacker. heh heh heh.....
Cottonmouth, Got to admit he had a set of brass balls. He died very soon afterwards.
Bluejay
A dog wanted to but never got closer than about 7-8 feet.
Alligator snapping turtle, once again a few of them, only been bit once by a lilttle one but damn they can put the hurt on. Oh, never let the big ones get close enough to bite, they will remove a finger.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Max Power do tell more. What happened to you ? were you hurt badly? I have heard dolphins can easily kill a shark by ramming them, & I know we couldn't do that.
View Quote

I work at a marine aquarium.(Like Sea World, but smaller)  I had my left orbital rim and some sinus bones broken by a dolphin we were doing medical work on.  It was my job to grab the animal and swim her over to a stretcher so she could be lifted out of the pool.  The dolphin had other plans.  She came up from the bottom to my left and a little behind and gave me a solid fluke shot to the side of the head.  Everyone said it sounded like a shotgun going off.  I just remember getting pulled out of the pool and everyone was freaking out.  

Another time I was swimming in our main tank with two females and a male.  The male took offence to my being there and preceded to beat the shit out of me.  I was on the surface treading water.  He would charge me full speed, dive right before he rammed me and kick upwards with his fluke.  Luckily I was able to draw my legs up and protect myself somewhat.  He just kept making runs, kicking me each time.  After he'd kick me I'd swim a little closer to poolside and eventually I got out of the water.

On a separate occasion the same dolphin decided to have a bit of fun at my expense.  I was swimming in the main tank aging this time.  Everything was fine until I tried to get out of the pool.  He wasn't finished playing.  I was only a few feet away from poolside and he came up right in front of me.  He pushed me back to the center and bottom of the pool, about 16' deep.  He held me there until I was out of breath, then he let me go.  I hauled ass to get out of the water and he did the same exact thing.  He could tell when I really needed a breath, maybe the size of my eyes, and he'd let me up.  This went on about eight times.  He finally got bored or knew I was about to drown and stopped.  That was, without a doubt the scariest one I've been through yet,being totally helpless in the water with a 400 pound animal toying with me.

There's more but ya'll are probably getting bored.
View Quote

Wow, talk about an animal needing to be dominated! This one takes the cake.
Sounds like its just a matter of time until that thing kills someone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
A cat bit me once.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I disturubed a wasp nest while trimming the bushes in the front yard. Didn't see the nest or the little flying stinging machines until they started attacking.

Kinda felt like being injected with liquid fire. Ran into the shower, clothes and all.

Waited until dusk. Watched them all returning from a hard day at work. Then, unleashed a chemical attack of two cans (one in each hand) of Black Flag.

Revenge is good. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
No animal is a good animal. [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/228.jpg[/img] [:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#17]
My knee still bears several scars from a javelina attack when I was a kid. It hurt....a lot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
No.  This kind of thing only happens to stupid ass environmentalists or PETA types who think they are wildlife experts because they watched Bambi more than 50 times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I was attacked by a rott while trying to get it off of a girlfriends collie. He bit my hand and I smacked him in the head with a 4-Dcell mag light. I thought I had killed the bastard, but he was just out cold.

When my dad was young, back in the 60's, he was attacked by 3 rabid foxes. Rabies was very common among foxes, coyotes, and coons back then. He had his over and under 16 gauge in his '66 Chevelle, with which he shot two and beat the 3rd one to death. He had to send their heads off to be tested, but he still has their tails and the stock he busted out of his shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in a bar in Old Mexico several years ago and was attacked by some Mexican Crabs( the real small but fast ones). Thank God for the Hartz flea and tick shampoo. It was the only thing that keep me from being eating alive.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Attacked by a German Shepherd when I was about 12.

Dog got out of a fenced area and proceeded to go after an 8-year-old kid who was playing in the same area.  I tried to “detour” the dog.  
My BIG mistake.  
I tried the ring-around-the-tree approach...no luck...chunk from my leg...right in front of the shin...still feels strange to this day when this area is touched.
Next comes the "kick and run" approach that got me another scar this one from one side of my ankle to the other. Even after being attacked I was not and am still not scared of dogs.  
BTW I did have a neighbor send my “story” into Boys Life (I was a Scout at the time).
Hey live and learn.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Let's see...

I've had 2 'too-close-for-comfort' encounters with black bears...

One at one of those 'drive thru' zoos, in Canada... My mom, as usual, ignored the directions WRT feeding the animals (not to mention the most commonly reprinted sign in the history of TV & camping: DON'T FEED THE BEARS!!!), and decided to give the 'cute little bear' a few peanuts out the window of the car.

Well, Mr Bear decided he liked peanuts, and before mom got the window shut, Mr Bear's claws were inside, and he was proceeding to do that 'rock-the-car' thing that bears do when they're trying to get in a car... Mom suddenly realized how BIG the 'little' bear was, and started screaming... My dad then tossed some peanuts out the rear window, which got the bear to climb down and go for the food (and allowed us to raise the windows and get out of there)...

Bear encounter #2 was with a wild bear in the Porcupine Mountains (upper Michigan). The zoo bear stood human-height when up on his haunches (i.e. a baby)... This guy was most definitely an adult bear... I was backpack camping with some friends (unarmed), and we had just set up camp when the bear showed up... He was moving along the route we had just taken... Well, he turned out to be casing us (came back later that night), and decided to raid our camp... He didn't exactly attack us, but he did tear through our camp while we were asleep, slice up one pack (clean open, as if it had been cut with a knife), and steal another... A few things fell out as the pack was being dragged, so we were able to recover it by following the items that fell out... It was kind of poetic justice, though, as the guy who's bag got bear-jacked had just earlier pulled a terrific 'bear scare' (growling and rustling bushes, etc) on 2 of our group that had gone to get water.... Yes, we put our food up, and no I will not go backpack camping unarmed again (I would hope that 8x57 is a suitable round for dealing with black bears)... Another party (we didn't know them, but met them in the lot) had a member actually get batted around (no serious injuries, though) trying to scare a different black bear away from his tent/kid - we were lucky...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was about six years old , a german shepherd pretty much bit my right ear off....

Had to get over fifty stitches to get it re-attached .....lost a lot of my hearing in that ear as well ( kept me out of the Marines )

t
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
One time a fly flew up my nose
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#27]
lets see, when I was young I lived in Hawaii... there's a military beach called Bellows which when the season is right has more Man O Wars on the beach then you've ever seen.  We used to make a game of picking them up by the bubble and burying them.  Anyways One of those wrapped around my leg when I was in the water.  HURT

Um in Italy I got stung by some kind of bee in the foot, and I couldn't put my shoe on because my foot was so swollen.  Being touristy with one shoe isn't fun.

I've been stung by other bees numerous times.  Once in the face which was terrible, and once in germany when we were driving through the country and i was hanging my hand out the window, SMACK!.  Putting an Onion on your  bee sting does great for sucking out the "venom"

Was bit in the back of the thigh by a Black Lab, that hurt too, must have really pinched a nerve.

My dog got caught up in a fence when he was out exploring hte back yard one night and tore his ligament, he stayed trapped between two fences all night so when we finaly got him out he wasnt in a playful mood.  He was laying on the desk sulking when my younger brother decided it would be fun to pester him.  My dog meant to give him a warning snap but his tooth accidently grazed my brothers face.  Nothing big but scary for my bro.  He doesn't even remember that anymore and it was less than a year ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I was a bored latch key kid.  I also hated bees with a passion.  Where I lived in Hawaii, yellow jacket wasps loved to build these big nests everywhere around your house.  My weapons were:

Playtex living gloves

50 foot garden hose with the jet spray set on stream and the water cranked up and let the pressure build up for 5 minutes for the strong initial blast

A a flip flp flop slipper/sandal to finish off the dazed ones that fell on the ground.

One time, during the summer, I hit a nest just enough to dislodge it and 3 bees came flying toward me and stung me on the leg, left bicep, and right of my neck.  I was swollen for a few days and feeling wierd.  Never went to the hospital and my parents,  since they worked morining to night never really noticed the swelling.  I only found out years later that you can actually get an allergic reation to bee stings.  That scared the shit out of me, in hindsight.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top