Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/10/2003 10:48:31 AM EDT
I was drugged up and recovering from one of the worst experiences that I hopefully will ever have to go through...the pit bull attack. I was lucky because the damage could have been much worse. I have three scars on my arm to remind me to be ever vigilant: two on the top of my right arm from his canines and one on the bottom. The only thing that stopped his teeth from meeting was my bone. Since then, I have become much more aware of my surroundings and ever more thankful for the little things(and not so little things)...a husband that would literally give up anything for me, being able to go to the restroom on my own (what a bitch to only have one usable hand!!!) and things of the sort. So, the moral of the story is this...be grateful for even the small things you have and thank God if you have someone who cares enough to watch your back. Marian
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:51:56 AM EDT
Good to hear you recovered [:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:57:39 AM EDT
Through adversity and tragedy, character and determination are forged. I'm glad to know you are doing well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:17:54 PM EDT
You must be mistaken,We here at AR15.com have been assured time and again that pit bulls are very docile critters.As one member put it(who told me how gentle they were)"Pit Bulls are bred for gameness.Gameness refers to a dogs love of dogfighting" This person couldn't take their tinfoil hat off long enough to see how a "love of dogfighting" just possibly might be related to agression. Anyway,I'm very glad to see your okay. P.S.It wasn't a pit,it was one of those evil,blood crazy,killer Golden Retrievers dressed up as a pit
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:28:09 PM EDT
I have a Pittbull, and have had them my whole life. I can honestly say that if they are brought up without being taught to fear humans, they are one of the worst dogs there is. I have honestly NEVER had to do anything to contain my dogs from going after people. (unless they tried breaking into my home from the downstairs bathroom window, but thats another story.) I have a 14 month old daughter, and a 1 month old son. My dog treats them the same way as she treats my wife and I. They are really good dogs that have the potential to be BAD animals if not trained and taught correctly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 12:42:24 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
Sorry to hear of you misfortune at the jaws of death. I'm glad you are recovering. Has Amerilis had to go to a different piano teacher this whole last year? This is the 1st time I have run across you since I IM'ed you a few months ago. Where ya been Marian?, & Hows the weather up there in River City? Searcher out
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 12:45:12 PM EDT by gus]
I had to shoot a nice friendly little pit bull once, after it attacked its owner and a guest at his house. I used the dog's owner's shotgun. I know lots of people with pit bulls, and most of the dogs are friendly. The one I had to shoot was friendly in the past, and I still don't know what caused it to flip out. The dog's two siblings are still there and have been fine. After that experience, I just don't trust them. Edited to add: The cute little pooch I had to shoot was named Sybil (sp?). Nice doggie...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 2:17:21 PM EDT by MarianLibrarian]
While I do not wish for this to turn into a pit thrashing thread, I will go on record to say that I have NEVER feared a dog prior to this happening to me and that the dog in question was being petted and loved on by me not five minutes before the attack. I have a new healthy respect for how physiology can maintain an animal's existence. BTW, River City is more beautiful now than ever...flowers are blooming, trumpets are playing and there are no overdue books out at the moment!! [:I]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:19:34 PM EDT
Must....restrain self.........urge to slam awful dog breed........too much to bear [>(]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:22:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Must....restrain self.........urge to slam awful dog breed........too much to bear [>(]
View Quote
Hee hee...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:42:52 PM EDT
Sorry to hear about what happened. Bring on the antis, again [rolleyes] "shrugs".
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:44:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Must....restrain self.........urge to slam awful dog breed........too much to bear [>(]
View Quote
I slammed one with a canoe paddle, damn near beat it to death!! Does that count?? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:48:28 PM EDT
Some balls that takes Liberty.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:50:25 PM EDT
Okay, it seems as though some people are missing the point of the thread...(boys, sigh)[;)] The dog bite just happened to be an eye-opener for me. It could have been a car accident, getting fired from a job or WHATEVER! The point is, I had an experience that made me look at the bigger picture and appreciate what is truly important to me. There have been some very sad threads recently about people that have lost their view of the bigger picture. All I am trying to say is that while things can be horrible and unexpected, those moments can help define the more important things in life. Marian
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:01:22 PM EDT
Marianne, I am glad that you have recovered and learned to appreciate what is important. I am also glad that you have a husband that truly cares for you and is with you during the ups and the downs. Also glad I rememberd to return the book. I had a little run in with meningitis about 7 years ago that caused the MD's to keep me in a drug induced coma for a week. It definitely woke me up. Or should I say that when I woke up my wife was at my side crying. It lets you know how much people really care.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:02:56 PM EDT
I apalogize MarianLibrarian, this is your thread.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:03:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MarianLibrarian: Okay, it seems as though some people are missing the point of the thread...(boys, sigh
View Quote
Unfortunately there are some on this site that will take any oportunity to slam a breed of dog. These...idiots...don't seem to be able to draw the connection to firearms. Notice please which side of the argument started up first?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:06:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MarianLibrarian: Okay, it seems as though some people are missing the point of the thread...(boys, sigh)[;)] . . . All I am trying to say is that while things can be horrible and unexpected, those moments can help define the more important things in life. Marian
View Quote
Yeah, I know, us guys get side-tracked easily. What you tried to say was that stop and smell the roses. Its the small things in life that make a difference. Thanks for the reality check for some of the most important things in life, good health, close family, and warm friends. Now a word from the sponsors: Well, my brother-in-law owns a very old and established bakery in L.A., tomorrow is Mother's day. He says that "for everyone one father's day cake they sell, the sell 3-4 more mother's day cakes." HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Top Top