the WHO is saying that it has a 14-15% death rate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29437-2003May8.html

i haven't seen many stories about it popping up in the US though

maybe someone's looking out for us
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is a Chinese bioweapon, someone in the Chinese bioweapons division was probably executed for letting it lose in their own country.
It will probably wind up killing off many times more Chinese than any other group.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I seriously doubt its a bioweapon.  From your theory you sound as bad as the NAACP folks who think AIDS is a bioweapon designed to kill blacks.  Or abortion was designed to lower the black population.

New strains of influenza arise from the orient all the time.  Most likely SARS came from farm animals, the viruses mutated and cross infected people.  Similar to HIV and SIV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That crap's a little too potent, I say definite
biocrap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I will agree with the farm animal angle. China has large populations in close proximity to animals (pigs in particular).  It would take nothing for a virus to make the "jump".  Plus upcoming flu vaccines are chosen from what virus was just going around in China because most originate there. I don't think SARs has shown to be a particulary effective agent as a bio-weapon. Mutated strains of small-pox (mouse-pox) would be much more deadly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top