Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 10:44:48 AM EDT
[url]http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=29294[/url] Philadelphia Police say a man who was kidnapped, tortured, and murdered this week managed to call 911 on his cell phone during the attack -- but police were unable to help. Technology that would have allowed police to locate the caller is not yet in place in Philadelphia, because legislation to fund it is pending in Harrisburg. Police say the victim's kidnapping and torture was caught on tape after the victim somehow managed to dial 911. Investigators say 25-year old Reinaldo Zayas was kidnapped Monday night from a home in West Kensington. In the hours that followed, they say, he twice managed to call 911 as he was being driven around in a van, bound with duct tape and being tortured. The first call, says deputy police commissioner Charles Brennan, lasted only a minute. The second one, however, lasted a horrifying 18 minutes, during which time the victim could be heard screaming in pain and begging for his life. Brennan says the 911 emergency operator who took the call tried desperately to locate the caller, sending police to a location where she thought he may be. But the police search was to no avail. Zayas was found inside his own van Tuesday night, dead of multiple stab wounds. The police 911 tape has not been released. Homicide captain Richard Ross says the search continues for the perpetrators: "What we have is three males, the description is very vague. There's a white vehicle, possibly a Buick, with tinted windows. We have a partial Pennsylvania tag of DKB..." A relative of Zayas told police several phone calls had been received demanding money shortly after the abduction.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:53:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dredd308: Technology that would have allowed police to locate the caller is not yet in place in Philadelphia, because legislation to fund it is pending in Harrisburg.
View Quote
That's probably where it will stay too, despite being a great tool for any emergency service. What if you're having a heart attack and can't get your address out? Oops, too bad, legislation pending.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:57:01 AM EDT
Holy God, have mercy on this poor man. What a nightmare....
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:00:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Spade:
Originally Posted By Dredd308: Technology that would have allowed police to locate the caller is not yet in place in Philadelphia, because legislation to fund it is pending in Harrisburg.
View Quote
That's probably where it will stay too, despite being a great tool for any emergency service. What if you're having a heart attack and can't get your address out? Oops, too bad, legislation pending.
View Quote
Many of us dont want the State to be able to track us down by our cellphones. Might as well just put a GPS locator in the back of our necks at birth...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:04:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2003 11:04:54 AM EDT by marvl]
Originally Posted By AR15fan: Many of us dont want the State to be able to track us down by our cellphones. Might as well just put a GPS locator in the back of our necks at birth...
View Quote
Now there's a greatidea! [thinking] As long as they sell a tool that allows you to pull it out through your nose. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:08:03 AM EDT
I feel bad for the 911 operator, imagine the nightmares that persons going to have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:09:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:13:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: [ Many of us dont want the State to be able to track us down by our cellphones. Might as well just put a GPS locator in the back of our necks at birth...
View Quote
Well, my dad has a heart condition, and I'd prefer the EMT's be able to find him if he had a problem. I'll concede any phone should be equipped to allow you to turn the service on, but it's a good idea for people with health issues.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:14:34 AM EDT
Just because you can turn something off doesn't mean someone else can't turn it back on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:25:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PONY_DRIVER: Just because you can turn something off doesn't mean someone else can't turn it back on.
View Quote
AND THEN CONTROL YOUR MIND WITH IT!!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:59:37 AM EDT
its all the communists fault, they are the ones that thought up GPS tracking under Dr. Dooms leadership in latvia, I think magneto helped too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2003 12:12:15 PM EDT by OmegaMan]
Originally Posted By AR15fan: Technology that would have allowed police to locate the caller is not yet in place in Philadelphia, because legislation to fund it is pending in Harrisburg.
View Quote
With GPS, the police could've used the cellphone to help them find the victim's body. With CCW, the victim could've used the cellphone to help them find the perps bodies.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:13:33 PM EDT
I work for a cell phone company.. Give me a number and i can place you with in a certin tower grid.. you dont even need to be talking just have the phone on.. We receive lots of calls from 911 people wnating to know where a call came/ is coming from.m.. we cant tell them where exactly but we CAN tell them what tower is connecting to number they give me.. that helps alot.. might have helped this ole chap by giving them an idea what area to look at .. if the call came from say a tower locted at 1600 anywher st tx.. and didnt get handed over to another tower that means the caller is not moving .. ... or if the call get handed to another tower i can see what dirrection the caller is traveling..< by seeing whaht tower is picking the call up and simply looking at the map.> .. some cell grids are very small while others are huge.. depends on area.. I think I heard/read some where the some drug king was busted after being follwed by the cell phone..
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:18:02 PM EDT
[b]With GPS, the police could've used the cellphone to help them find the victim's body. With CCW, the victim could've used the cellphone to help them find the perps bodies.[/b] and we have a winner!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:21:37 PM EDT
Its actually NOT GPS, its LBS (Location Based System). Some phones let you turn it on for other numbers you call, others leave it on only for 911, and others let you turn it off completely. Thing is: it can probably be activated or reset to be "on" by sending it an encoded message. Phones these days can be queried, upgraded, and tested by sending encoded signals to it. Probably depends on the design of the phone though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:23:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cluster: I think I heard/read some where the some drug king was busted after being follwed by the cell phone..
View Quote
Yeah... that was in the movie "Bad Boys"... "Is this Romeo..." hehe
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:47:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:48:25 AM EDT
OK folks, sorry for the thread hijack here, but what makes/models of phones have the GPS type capability in them? Just got a new Nokia and would be interested to know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:17:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By paratrooper318: OK folks, sorry for the thread hijack here, but what makes/models of phones have the GPS type capability in them? Just got a new Nokia and would be interested to know.
View Quote
I have a motorola T720, and it has the GPS. You can turn it off if you want to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:26:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By paratrooper318: OK folks, sorry for the thread hijack here, but what makes/models of phones have the GPS type capability in them? Just got a new Nokia and would be interested to know.
View Quote
LBS, not GPS... I think all of the new models are coming with it, since legislation in various places is requiring it....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:25:01 PM EDT
Thanks. I'll have to do some research and see if this new Nokia has that or not. Appreciate the info, guys. We now return you to your proviously scheduled discussion. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:40:31 PM EDT
Para, if its brand new, it should have it. RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual) [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:26:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spade: Well, my dad has a heart condition, and I'd prefer the EMT's be able to find him if he had a problem.
View Quote
They already have medical services for that purpose, but you have to pay for it. If you choose to want it, get it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:31:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spade:
Originally Posted By PONY_DRIVER: Just because you can turn something off doesn't mean someone else can't turn it back on.
View Quote
AND THEN CONTROL YOUR MIND WITH IT!!!!
View Quote
I'm not going to say that they can control your mind, but in 20-30 years or so when the shit that goes on today becomes public you'll be amazed. Shit just look at stuffe we did back in the 70's and 80's we;ve gotta have cooler shit by now!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 7:35:42 PM EDT by Wipeout]
[rantmodeon] Where is Imbroglio now saying that 911 on speed dial is all you need have to keep you safe? The police will always be ther to protect you right? If this man had a gun, he would at least have had a fighting chance. But I guess now he is moraly superior to a guy that shot his attacked and lived. I would like to see Imbroglio (and all of the liberal fools at HCI and any other gun control agency)try and explain that to this mans grieving family. [/rantmodeoff]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:40:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:05:33 PM EDT
I have a new Nextel with the GPS feature. It works like crap - it doesn't work indoors, it doesn't work if you are moving, it takes at least a couple minutes to get a fix even when it does work. If it's going to be any good for emergency purposes these things need to be remedied. However, I'm worried about the implications of my GPS coordinates being logged along with all phone calls.
Top Top