Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2001 3:03:21 PM EDT
As you may already know I am a CA transplant here in Texas. Been acclimating to the culture quiet well if you ask me. However, I am very curious about a terminology that I have been hearing but can't figure out what it means.

[b]What the hell is a "BUBBA"?[/b]

Please explain.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bubba (n):  Any number of non-city-dwelling male individuals.  In the case of my ex-girlfriend's family, "Bubba" could comprise the makeup of the entire male segment of a family - i.e.:  They called 85% of the males in their extended family "Bubba."

The further away from the city you get, the more you'll hear this term.  Being in Plano, you might hear is a bit more often than you would down in Dallas since there is still somewhat of a country-boy population in parts of Plano, Allen, and McKinney, not to mention the dwindling farming communities that surround the area - Communities which are quickly being overrun by Yankees and their $500,000+ homes.

A prime example of this "overtaking" is near the outskirts of McKinney and the Collin County Gun Range which once resided in unincorporated Collin County until the City of McKinney annexed the property.  At the first hearing regarding the draconian regulations that the City began imposing, there were some city folks complaining that they moved to McKinney to get away from noise and such.  I have news for 'em - At the rate they're annexing and building, they need to get alot further away than McKinney to get away from it.

'Course then again, they may just not want to put up with the "Bubbas."
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
A bubba is an insalt, or a redneck. It has several meanings. It can mean frend or buddy,or dum ass.  It allso can mean inbread. In time you will git it. If your freand calls you Bubba It is like brother, or Cus.
See you around Bubba.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Reason I asked is in a conversation with some women folk at work they mentioned they were tired of dating "Bubbas" I told them they should try dating Al's(which is my first name BTW) They thought that was funny. Don't know if thats good or bad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the generic terms that has several meanings, depending on who says it and how. I call Bill Clinton a bubba, and I call my son,(the joy of my life) bubba.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad called me bubba, his dad called him amd me bubba. I call my son bubba, and he calls his son bubba. We are bubba, course being west of La Grange everyone out here are bubbas, most bubbas are good guys. You can tell if it is meant bad or not by the expression and tone of voice used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't ask what a kicker kicks, lt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a "dont litter" caimpaign by TxDOT a few years ago.  It was telling folks not to be Bubbas.

I work for TxDOT so I wrote a letter and said Why such a dumb slogan.  After all, "Don't Mess with Texas " was offensive, but very effective.

They wrote me back and said that male-white adults, ages 22-39 contribute ot a big % of the trash.  It was to blantenly hit folks of that group.  No wonder I was offended,  I was a Bubba!

WATS UP, I guess hits another part of the populations!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bubba from my sister is a term of endearment. Bubba from a girl in Plano/Dallas area means she is tired of dating cowboys/jocks/working men, or just plain "common men." She is looking for someone who can put her in a 500k+ house and a Jag.

Hate to admit it but Don Johnson on Nash Bridges almost has it right. Bubba can be good or bad, it depends on tone and inflection. The only problem with this is it may take years of knucklebumps to learn the difference.  [:D]

edited to correct my spelling caused by rented fingers
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Bubba is term for the redneck countryboy Texan stereo type that owns a truck with kids and a dog in the back It came up alot when the law about kids in the back of pickup trucks was proposed, Saying the law affected "The Bubba factor" It is also used a a replacment for "Dude".
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
weel shooot fiar billy joe! uknow ma mind don gon t' heel!  wats all dis talk 'bout Bubba anywho?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell you what LT, the next time we all get together for boy's night out, I've got a couple of places in mind we can go and you can feel the "Bubba experience" first hand. Like they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Budda can be good or bad
View Quote

Someone calls me Budda, and we're gonna have words! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Here in my part of Texas, "Bubba" is a kinda condescending way to address someone. Most often a term used to addressed someone who is physically and intellectually challenged, has no education, drives a clunker and doesn't practice good hygeine.

A temp worker in our plant once made the mistake of addressing me as such so I seriously told him that if he does not want me to publicly address him as "Asshole", he better call me by my first name or better yet "Sir".

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#14]
OK now I get it the gist of the term BUBBA. Thanx guys. Yet another lesson learned in the book of "how to survive TX when you a Californian"
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
So it seems to be kind of like the "N-word".

OK & friendly if one of your own uses it on you in the right way.

But from someone else, it's a term of derision.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...with some women folk...
View Quote

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it.  Remember, "y'all" is plural.  Yankees always screw that one up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#17]
SSgt - You a Yankee?  I thought "All Y'all" was plural...???
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#18]
gawd, i was born in NY and i knew what bubba was....hahaha  i love tawkin my joisey accent here.. i get the best looks  hahaha [@:D]
i love it here.. good ole' grand prairie
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL  One of my buddies is from Joisey, but he finally escaped.

Not your typical small-town Texas cop, that's fer sure! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]
All the bubba stuff aside , It's cool to here so many from around this area, myself from Ennis , now let me tell you we got a bunch of bubba's and even bubbaette's here, but they are all good people..Russ
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Joisey?!?!?! You mean ya'll gonna get some cawfee and wak da dawg on weekends. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top