Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 7:38:40 PM EDT
TBK1 seems to think irregardless is not a proper word. I say it is. From Webster's online dictionary:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

My argument is that they just mean people don't like it. These people, of course, are the people who don't realize it's a fine word. I love that word.

What's your take on it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's dumb!

Do [red]ir[/red]regular and regular mean the same thing?

Then why use [red]ir[/red]regardless to mean regardless?

Is irregardless in the OED?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Irregardless is a contradiction.
"Not Regardless".
Why waste breath pointing out the obvious, if you are speaking of two similar objects?
View Quote

It's cooler, that's why!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My take on "it"...

I wonder about people who love that word.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well yah! then explaine what an atm machine is to me please!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[b]AINT[/b] it wonderful that the English language is contantly evolving. Irregardless of how I fell about contradictory messages within the same [red]non word[/red].
View Quote

[:O]

Take that back!

[;D]

Doesn't anyone else think that irregardless is a really cool word?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

This site gives a long list of errors in use in the English language.  For example:

"Regardless of what you have heard, "irregardless" is a redundancy. The suffix "-less" on the end of the word already makes the word negative. It doesn't need the negative prefix "ir-" added to make it even more negative."

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The chief justice of the supreme court has ruled against sniper wolfe as well:

"The U.S. Supreme Court’s Chief Justice William Rehnquist "upbraided a lawyer who used irregardless, saying: "I feel bound to inform you there is no word irregardless in the English language. The word is regardless. Linguistic Fastidiousness is no less important in oral than written argument.""

[url]http://www.hfac.uh.edu/English/classes/GU4322/items/irregardless.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The chief justice of the supreme court has ruled against sniper wolfe as well:

"The U.S. Supreme Court’s Chief Justice William Rehnquist "upbraided a lawyer who used irregardless, saying: "I feel bound to inform you there is no word irregardless in the English language. The word is regardless. Linguistic Fastidiousness is no less important in oral than written argument."
View Quote

This overturns the 9th Circuit Court support of the word; the court ruled:  "Whatever makes people feel good is right.  We don't want to marginalize those people who have strong feelings for 'irregardless.'  They have a constitutionally protected right to be clueless."
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
IIRC, a Canadian MP used
"undisirregardlessness" in a debate a few years ago. Folks were scratching their heads for weeks on that one.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Its an illiterate's word, the same as bling bling, but on a higher level.  Oh yeah, its contradictory, so its sort of like saying, I ain't not gonna do it. (Means he's gonna do it, but do you think that's what he meant?)

Wolfe, you're sounding like me just having an argument for argument's sake!  Be careful before BK1 limits the amount of time you're allowed to IM me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Just keep in mind Sniper:  The fellow that uses the language precisely has the advantage in a job interview.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I HATE that word.  It's a pet peave of mine.

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech
View Quote

Many would consider ebonics to be dialectal American speech too, but I sure as hell won't speak it or accept it as English.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#18]
'Irregardless' doesn't bother me too much, neither does 'strategery'.  I do get a headache when people use 'like' in fron of every noun and verb in their sentances.

It is almost as if they don't want to communicate exactly what they want.  They are speaking in metaphor.  "So, like, I was like, going to the, like, store".

Obviously this guy is trying to communicate somthing, but WHAT?  It wasn't him that was doing anything.  Was it someone LIKE him?  And what was he doing anyway?  He wans't going anywhere, but his actions leave the distinct impression that someone is acting similarly to 'going' somewhere.  Where this other place is, we have no idea.  Since we know the destination is 'like' a store we can maybe assume that stuff is being sold.  It could be a resturant or a movie theater.  Maybe we could assume the destination just 'looked' like a store.  Perhaps a warehouse, or a muffler shop was the destination.

It is amazing that people can even understand each other anymore.  Just because a word appears in the dictionary, doesnt't make it an official English word.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Irregardless is a [i]tremendous[/i]  word.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Irregardless if some people like the word or not, some people just don't know no better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
TBK1 seems to think irregardless is not a proper word. I say it is. From Webster's online dictionary:

My argument is that they just mean people don't like it. These people, of course, are the people who don't realize it's a fine word. I love that word.

What's your take on it?
View Quote

Someone on the board jumped on me for using it too. Was it the Bee? Can't remember. I like it too. I hear you are going to a shoot!! Bee mentioned it in another thread, glad to hear it!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#23]
my favorite is "notwithstanding"
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since it is not a word at all, how can it be a tremendous word?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your take on it?
View Quote

Someone on the board jumped on me for using it too. Was it the Bee? Can't remember. I like it too. I hear you are going to a shoot!! Bee mentioned it in another thread, glad to hear it!!
View Quote

I see I have at least one supporter for my group of rebels who like this word! [):)]

I just hate it when people mispronounce things, using uncommon words is fine.

My friend said irregardless and I said there wasn't such a word. He proved me wrong, and I have grown to love this word.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Since it is not a word at all, how can it be a tremendous word?
View Quote

Webster's Dictionary said 'There is such a word, however.'
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Know whats worse than irregardless?  Hearing someone say "NUCULAR" (New-cul-ar) instead of Nuclear.  (New-cle-ar)

Bush sounds like an idiot everytime he says nucular.  It takes little to no effort to say that word right.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#28]
It is the nonstandard version of regardless.

It is not a proper word. Continue to use it at your own risk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the word, it pisses people off.

It offends peoples sensibilities of what language should be like.

Its the black rifle of words.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irregardless is a contradiction.
"Not Regardless".
Why waste breath pointing out the obvious, if you are speaking of two similar objects?
View Quote

It's cooler, that's why!
View Quote

Since when is it cool to sound stupid?  How much harder is it to use the proper word?  

Of course, you DID use the apostrophe correctly in your sentence above, so I suppose I can cut you some slack.  

It makes me grit my teeth when I see shit like "its cooler thats why"  or "your" instead of "you're".
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Sure, anything you can bark and attach meaning to is a word. That's what a word is. But "irregardless" might as well be ebonics as far as I concerned. It's just stupid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#33]
[lol]I love it. The Word Police [lol] are here. [rofl2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Irregardless is slang.  That is what the Webster's entry is telling us.  Similar to "cool", "dope", "sweet", "bitchin'", etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irregardless is slang.  That is what the Webster's entry is telling us.  Similar to "cool", "dope", "sweet", "bitchin'", etc.
View Quote

I repeat:  Use it, don't use it, call it slang, call it the red-headed bastard stepchild of the English language - just don't argue that "it isn't a word." [:D]
View Quote

[:D]

Na-na-na-na-na-na!

IT IS A WORD!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#37]
now we'll move on to the its/it's and your/you're portion of our lesson.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I have onnly one word to add to this discussion: ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIALISM!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget there/they're/their.

I hate when people screw up these words.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget there/they're/their.

I hate when people screw up these words.
View Quote

I thought we should start small and work our way up... we're not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have onnly one word to add to this discussion: ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIA[red]L[/red]ISM!

View Quote

As long as you spelled it wrong, I bet you can't define it without looking it up either.  [:D]
View Quote

Antidisestablishmentarianism - being against removing the connection between church and state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top