Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/6/2003 5:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2003 5:23:47 PM EDT by freedom-fighter]
I downloaded the Zone Alarm firewall freeware for my PC since it was free, and i'm amazed at the amount of portscans that was going on without me knowing it. It's been one day and so far i've logged 172 "high-rated" intrusions targeted at my PC. Hackers must have had me on their favorites list. A firewall is must have. Now I feel invisible and therefore safe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:30:01 PM EDT
I'm running Windows XP. There is a firewall embedded in the connections software that I have switched on. Will this yield adequate protection or should I go further?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:33:29 PM EDT
Zonealarm is one of the best software firewalls out there- at any price. Its especially good since they have a FREE version!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2003 5:52:50 PM EDT by Eaker]
Originally Posted By chuckhammer: I'm running Windows XP. There is a firewall embedded in the connections software that I have switched on. Will this yield adequate protection or should I go further?
View Quote
XP is full of holes, BIG ones!!! We run it and work and patches come out for it too regularly. I would definitly run ZoneAlarm. The price certainly is right!!! [url=www.TomEaker.com]Eaker[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:06:23 PM EDT
Im running Zone Alarm Pro, and its really slick, I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:22:23 PM EDT
Even though ZoneAlarm is good, nothing beats having both a software and a hardware firewall. Get yourself a broadband router and have the added protection.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:09:46 PM EDT
Anyone got a link to download the free version of this firewall you are talking about? I'm too lazy to do it myself!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:20:11 PM EDT
Zone Alarm is it! That said I'm gonna be getting a new box and I'll hide behind a router.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:22:38 PM EDT
Keep in mind the overwhelming majority of hits on ZoneAlarm are not hacker intrusions. They are just a normal part of network traffic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:22:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jadams951: Anyone got a link to download the free version of this firewall you are talking about? I'm too lazy to do it myself!
View Quote
you are whats wrong with America
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2003 11:35:46 PM EDT by Tripwire]
Ill throw in my vote for sygate.. [url]http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm[/url] great firewall, free for personal use, many usefull tools.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:54:57 PM EDT
I used to use Zone Alarm but it made too much gdamm noise and shit kept popping up all over the place. I ditched it when I got a Netgear MR314 DSL router with built in firewall. Now I rely on the XP firewall and Linksys BEFW11S4 DSL router.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:56:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jadams951: Anyone got a link to download the free version of this firewall you are talking about? I'm too lazy to do it myself!
View Quote
[url]http://www.zonelabs.com/store/application;jsessionid=244nY7TrL25SQA4U9zKEQpgngir1h6OJ8E6uhm2g2pcgH­kr0yD7B!-1728660188!-1062696905!7551!7552!1185635908!-1062696904!7551!7552?namespace=zls_main&origin=global.jsp&event=link.skuList&&zl_catalog_view_id=201&lid=nav_db[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:07:40 AM EDT
Those things really aren't too hard to get past...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:21:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gaspain:
View Quote
you are whats wrong with America
View Quote
I'm not even going to turn this into a pissing contest but you don't know me so you don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:38:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2003 11:42:34 AM EDT by WHITE_WOLFE]
You can test your firewalls here. [url]https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/url] With the XP firewall on, my computer is hidden. If I was on a constant on connection (cable, DSL) I really would consider something else other than the XP firewall.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:47:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE: You can test your firewalls here. [url]https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/url] With the XP firewall on, my computer is hidden. If I was on a constant on connection (cable, DSL) I really would consider something else other than the XP firewall.
View Quote
I was using only the XP firewall but yesterday I installed the Zone Alarm freeware. It seems to run fine but I was wondering if I should now switch off the XP firewall? Does it matter on/off?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:26:12 PM EDT
I just ordered the Linksys Router befsr41. It comes with ZoneAlarm, but as I have ZoneAlarm Pro now, I will upgrade the router to it once I've got the router installed. The good thing about the router (firewall) is that your internal IP address is invisible to the outside. At least that's how I understand it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2003 12:42:07 PM EDT by California_Kid]
I'm on cable modem and use a D-Link DI704-P firewall router. It acts as a LAN backbone and proxy server. Translation: I can hook up as many as 4 machines on my single connection without paying for additional IP addresses. It's a hardware firewall so it doesn't suck up CPU cycles on your main machine. My mom bought the same box recently for $59 + S&H, just over half what I paid for mine a year ago. Many similar devices are available with lots of different options. If you are on cable or DSL it's definitely the way to go! See [url]http://www.dlink.com/products/DigitalHome/Broadband/index.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:23:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jadams951:
View Quote
you are what's wrong with America
View Quote
I'm not even going to turn this into a pissing contest but you don't know me so you don't have a clue.
View Quote
I don't want a pissing contest either, but I do know something about you- you are lazy. The attitude "Hey don't worry about it, somebody else will do it." is not something I would be proud of. I for one get pissed when I see such loafing, when YOU expect ME to go out of my way and work for you- Its fucking bullshit, but hey I give it to you- you actually got somebody to post the link for you, very efficient on your part. Good job. What's even worse than your work ethic is the guy who posted the link- probably to be nice guy, or to smooth things over. I have probably wasted my breath on you anyway, because you know what they say about 5th generation welfare kids, "theres gonna be a 6th".
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:26:12 PM EDT
OpenBSD, the best free firewall there is. Stateful inspection, bandwidth prioritization/queueing, load balancing. http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:47:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By peekay: OpenBSD, the best free firewall there is. Stateful inspection, bandwidth prioritization/queueing, load balancing. http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
View Quote
OpenBSD pf might be the best firewall at any price...and it's free.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2003 3:54:04 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE: You can test your firewalls here. [url]https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/url]
View Quote
OK, that test sucks ass. I turned my firewall OFF and it said I was VERY secure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:54:58 PM EDT
Wow, thanks for that remarkable insight on a man you don't even know gaspain. I feel truly enlightened by your all knowingness.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:01:51 PM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
I don't want a pissing contest either, but I do know something about you- you are lazy. The attitude "Hey don't worry about it, somebody else will do it." is not something I would be proud of. I for one get pissed when I see such loafing, when YOU expect ME to go out of my way and work for you- Its fucking bullshit, but hey I give it to you- you actually got somebody to post the link for you, very efficient on your part. Good job. What's even worse than your work ethic is the guy who posted the link- probably to be nice guy, or to smooth things over. I have probably wasted my breath on you anyway, because you know what they say about 5th generation welfare kids, "theres gonna be a 6th".
View Quote
Sure looks like a pissing contest to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:15:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:15:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SeaDweller:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Why SeaDweller it sure does look like that!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:42:37 PM EDT
Norton Anti-Virus and Northon Firewall have worked for me. They seem to be rated high by Consumer Union.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:16:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SeaDweller:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Why SeaDweller it sure does look like that!
View Quote
Like any dog worth its salt I'll jump in and piss in the pool. What I do know, is you are to friggin lazy to do a search for free software. I am confident that attitude manifests itself in many areas of your life, as it does with most folks who grow up on gubm't handouts. Or, you could have been joking, which doesnt seem to be the case.
Top Top