Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2003 1:13:48 PM EDT
I'm not a real big Baseball fan.  I think the game is slow and boring.  Plus the season is to damn long....  Is there a reason they play 160 games?  I mean c'mon, talk about dragging it out.  So what is America's sport?  am I a commie because I dislike baseball?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Lacrosse
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lacrosse is the shit....  used to play in high school
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Your doing it, you web-surfer.

cowabunga......dude.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
NASCAR
CART
IRL
IHRA
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried to add a poll but I keep getting an error page.

America's Past time is?

1) NFL
2) Baseball
3) Basketball
4) Hockey
5) NASCAR
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Competitive Shooting
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Lacrosse is the original American (and North American) Sport... Played by natives to prepare for war.(U of Illinois Lacrosse '95.. you could reference my Avatar when the photoserver is back up.)

In popularity, I think NASCAR and football.  Not a big fan of either one but they are ok.

I don't particularly like Baseball, but I'll watch a few games during the season.

Love hockey...

Hate Basketball
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
NASCAR isn't a sport.  It's a manner of competition, but it's not a SPORT.  

Basketball, baseball, soccer, football, lacrosse... THOSE are sports.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried to add a poll but I keep getting an error page.

America's Past time is?

1) NFL
2) Baseball
3) Basketball
4) Hockey
5) NASCAR
View Quote

the only one of those which is a sport is Nascar, and that barely qualifies. America's sport should be obvious to everyone here, it's shooting. [50]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
NASCAR DUHHHH [:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NASCAR isn't a sport.  It's a manner of competition, but it's not a SPORT.  

Basketball, baseball, soccer, football, lacrosse... THOSE are sports.  

View Quote

I believe the question implies  a spectator point of view. No matter what form of competition it may be, it is a sport or recreation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
OK lets try this, How many people will show up to watch 43 racecars go around a track and how many will show up to watch some one SHOOT ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Photoshopping?
[;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
"America's Sport" is whatever sells the most beer and distracts the largest number of subjects from any productive enterprise or oportunity to expand their knowledge.

War is Peace,
Freedom is Slavery,
Ignorance is Strength, and
Sports is everything.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
You have forgotten one.  How about Americas number one sport: Rodeo
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Golf

[The following is from an e-mail someone sent me]

Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity while other pro sports such as basketball, baseball, and football are floundering? Ever wonder why people who don't even play golf go to tournaments or watch it on TV?

These truisms may shed light on reasons why .........

Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being
honorable people who don't need referees.

Golfers don't have some of their players in jail every week.

Golfers don't scratch their privates on the golf course.

Golfers don't kick dirt on, or throw bottles at, other people.

Professional golfers are compensated in direct proportion to how well they play.

Golfers pay their own way to travel between tournaments.  A few even fly on their own aircraft that they have actually paid for.

Golfers don't get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when they travel between tournaments.

Golfers don't threaten to go on strike.

Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player's deal.

Professional Golfers don't demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.

When golfers make a mistake, nobody is there to cover for them or back them up.

The PGA Tour raises more money for charity in one year than the National Football League does in two.

You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament, including the majors, all day, every day for $25 or $30.  The cost for a seat in the nosebleed section at the Super Bowl will cost around $300 or more.

You can bring a picnic lunch to the tournament golf course, watch the best in the world and not spend a small fortune on food and drink.  Try that at one of the taxpayer funded baseball or football stadiums.  I brought a Coke into Dodger Stadium last year, and an usher came to my seat and told me I had to dispose of it, or I would not be allowed to stay in the stadium.

In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (300 batting average) do.

Golf doesn't change its rules to attract fans.

Golfers have to adapt to an entirely new playing area each week.

Golfers keep their clothes on while they are being interviewed.

Golf doesn't have free agency. They don't need one.

In their prime, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Lee Trevino, Greg Norman, and other stars, would shake your hand and say they were happy to meet you.

In his prime Jose Canseco wore T-shirts that read "Leave Me Alone."

You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during a tournament.

At a golf tournament, (unlike at taxpayer funded sports stadiums and arenas) you won't ever hear a steady stream of four letter words and nasty name calling while you're hoping that no one spills beer on you.

Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball three times as far as Bonds can hit a baseball.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK lets try this, How many people will show up to watch 43 racecars go around a track and how many will show up to watch some one SHOOT ?
View Quote

96' Olympics in Atlanta.  The stands were filled at every Event.  I saw the girl win the woman's double trap in 96. I also saw the long range Men's pistol finals and watched the russian guy clean it up.  You would be amazed at how many people like to watch others shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
HEAR! HEAR! Cougar8045

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know any other sport more American than good ol' fashioned drunk strip poker match with a bunch of sorority girls.

That's my kinda game!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#20]
NASCAR is not a freakin sport.

Baseball is America's pasttime.

But BAsketball is the greatest sport in the world.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NASCAR is not a freakin sport.

Baseball is America's pasttime.

But BAsketball is the greatest sport in the world.
View Quote

Sports involve the risk of death or serious injury. anything else is a game.

Boxing = Sport

Baseball = Game  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Sport = Football (NFL)

Hobby = Drinking beer while watching sport.

It's going to be a long hot summer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#23]
PFBR= Professional Fat Bitch Riding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#24]
To equate modern basketball (especially pro ball) to a sport is akin to calling the UN an effective organization. It is a loosely organized mess. Modern basketball stinks and has little resemblance to real basketball.

NASCAR is very much more demanding athletically than say… baseball.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Golf has more rules than Carter's got pills.  

Wonder why is it that a sport has to have so many rules?

What does that say about golfers?  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
BEER, SEX, AND ROCK AND ROLL!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
NME...

Do they do it "rodeo style"?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the first time I've heard a non Southeast Texan use that line.  You can't be a native Californian.

TS
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
As for the theme of the thread, Football and Bastick Ball.

TS
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Lacrosse:  played for Army during my college days:
you get to hit other guys with sticks(still have a black and purple arm from two weeks ago)
you drink beer with the same guys after the game
invented here in America
was invented to prepare men for combat

If I had a second place it would be watching TV
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
#1 Shooting
#2 Hunting
#3 Competitive shooting
#4 baseball

HELL YEAH

If they had a rifle team when I was in school I would have loved sports but liberals fucked that up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"BEER, SEX, AND ROCK AND ROLL!!!
View Quote

In that order????

My order is, beer, Rock and Roll and then sex.  

After sex I fall asleep and wouldn't listen to the Rock and Roll which is better than sex but not as good as beer. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I think America's sport is habitual bitching.
AB
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure if its a sport or attempted suicide but...
Pro Bull riding is up thier on my list. Its a sport that came out of a job. Although its a far cry from that now. And for what they do they dont get paid shit.
The #1 in the world made $111,000 world wide this year.. Cant remember his name.
That aint shit compared to what others in pro sports make in a year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#35]
NFL football.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#36]
All those "sports" are SOOOO passe'!!!

The TRUE, 100% American sportis..

LITIGATION!!!!!

Afterall..you need a way to generate some money to buy that big screen TV to watch the game on!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Yup, sure do.

Dangerous sport too, them fatties can be up to
500lbs., friggen beasts!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"BEER, SEX, AND ROCK AND ROLL!!!
View Quote

In that order????

My order is, beer, Rock and Roll and then sex.  

After sex I fall asleep and wouldn't listen to the Rock and Roll which is better than sex but not as good as beer. [8D]
View Quote

OK, i defer to sound logic! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, cycling is definately NOT America's sport, but I suggest you guys tune in to Outdoor Life Network this July to see Texan and President Bush appointee Lance Armstrong spin circles around France destroying the best that  Germany and France has to offer... for the fifth year in a row!

Edited to add that this is one Athlete that makes me damn proud to be an American.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Wonder why is it that a sport has to have so many rules?

What does that say about golfers?
View Quote

That they are intelligent and can read.

Your statement has a real grasp of ignorance.

The rulebook for golf is nowhere near as thick as say for football, basketball, hockey, baseball ect…
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I think America's real sport is "The Battle of
the Bulge" the percentage of overweight pot
bellied Americans is on the rise, even the kids
these days are way too heavy, it's not un common to see a 200+ lb teenage kid [:O] I also
noticed they make lots of XXL - XXXXL sized
shirts these days? for all the big fat people[:/] obesity is America's sport.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#42]
It depends on how you percieve what makes a sport popular.  If you're implying viewership, I'd say pro football or not-even-close-to-stock car racing.  If you're implying participation, golf would be pretty high up there, along with soccer.

Baseball is not really highly played by the American populace.  If you looked at how many people play baseball in one form or the other in the US, the number is around 10 million a year.  Paintball is catching up to it.  The numbers are around 6-7 million people play, and most companies won't sponsor it, because it's not considered a "sport."  I'd like to see these companies send representatives to the World Cup or Amateur Open, and say there's little interest in competition speedball.

If you're looking at the sports with the highest recordable injuries that require hospitalization, biking/skating is #1, and golf is not too far behind (lots of old folks with back injuries.)  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#43]
i'd have to say football from HS on up to pros.  but my personal fav. is college football.  i think hunting and shooting are top-notch also.  to me ...baseball is as boring as golf ( i like to PLAY golf..but cant stand to WATCH it)  ESPECIALLY when watched on tv...and basketball...isnt any better...so football/hunting  thats why november timeframe is my fav. time of the year!!  huntin and football all at the same time!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Football (NFL, *not* soccer)

Seriously, Baseball has been in decline ever since the strike (bunch of millionares with a union, whining about not getting more millions... If there ever were an example of union abuse, this is it...). Basketball missed this for various reasons, but if the fan base becomes enough like baseball's, they will have to watch their whining...

And of all the sporting events of the year, what ONE GAME gets more national attention than the Super Bowl?

P.S.

I personally can't bring myself to watch any other sport on TV. Baseball is fun to play, but a drag to watch (except in person, depending on the team). Basketball and soccer (essentially the same game, but with different rules on what extremities may control the ball) are boring either way (Playing is like 'running sprints with a ball', and watching is equally dry)...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I will get flamed for this but here it goes: Americas sport is soccer, (or football, as the rest of the world calls it) soccer is played by more american countries than any other sport. Now if you are asking what the United States sport is. I do not know I barely have time to go shooting, let alone watch a sports game.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#46]

[b]denial[/b]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Eating - and Americans are better at it than anyone else!

Go USA!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]
The oldest continuous trophy in Sports.

"America's Cup"

The America’s Cup, dating from 1851, is the oldest trophy in international sport and is considered yacht racing’s Holy Grail.

America successfully defended the America’s Cup 24 times over a span of 132 years losing to Australia in 1983
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
They don't play football in commie countries (except canada, but isnt that really just part of the us?)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Fishing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top