Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 7:20:45 PM EDT
My Sony is about 4 weeks old and the battery seems to drain fast.
It will drop to 50% in about 30 minutes. Is this normal?
Can I fuck it up by over charging?
Best Buy has spare batteries for $250 and 12volt chargers for $100,please tell me there is a cheaper sourse.
Also do them wireless boosters work?
My bedroom is near 100' away from my router and I get very poor to poor connection.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Andy
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have a bad battery. They are known to need replacing. Check with Sony.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your location on the same horizontal plane as the router?

Do you need any other connections on the opposite side of the router than your bedroom?

A directional antenna might work well for your application.

Either a Yagi or a dish type.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My wireless network card sucks my battery pretty fast too. I can normally watch an entire movie(dvd or avi) with battery to spare, once I left the NIC in and had to find my power supply half way through Leon the Professional.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
12 volt charger?  Why not just get a 200 Watt inverter...$30.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
12 volt charger?  Why not just get a 200 Watt inverter...$30.
View Quote

Yup.. thats the ticket.

Been using mine that way for about a year now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's 4 weeks old, shouldn't the battery be under warranty?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your battery.  How many cells is your battery?  We had one line of four cell batteries that would only last for about 30 minutes normally.  Whereas the 6 and 8 cell batteries would last 1-2 hours.

A wireless NIC CAN suck juice real quick.  Try running without using the NIC.  

You cannot overcharge the battery.  The laptop has built in circuitry to prevent that.  

I would call the manufacturer's support line and tell them your setup and situation and see if it is normal.  It just might be.. 1 hour out of a battery under good use might be normal.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top