Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/4/2003 7:20:45 PM EDT
My Sony is about 4 weeks old and the battery seems to drain fast. It will drop to 50% in about 30 minutes. Is this normal? Can I fuck it up by over charging? Best Buy has spare batteries for $250 and 12volt chargers for $100,please tell me there is a cheaper sourse. Also do them wireless boosters work? My bedroom is near 100' away from my router and I get very poor to poor connection. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Andy
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:26:45 PM EDT
You might have a bad battery. They are known to need replacing. Check with Sony.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:40:53 PM EDT
Is your location on the same horizontal plane as the router? Do you need any other connections on the opposite side of the router than your bedroom? A directional antenna might work well for your application. Either a Yagi or a dish type.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:33:53 AM EDT
My wireless network card sucks my battery pretty fast too. I can normally watch an entire movie(dvd or avi) with battery to spare, once I left the NIC in and had to find my power supply half way through Leon the Professional. ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:16:42 AM EDT
12 volt charger? Why not just get a 200 Watt inverter...$30.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:32:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J: 12 volt charger? Why not just get a 200 Watt inverter...$30.
View Quote
Yup.. thats the ticket. Been using mine that way for about a year now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:38:50 AM EDT
If it's 4 weeks old, shouldn't the battery be under warranty?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:43:13 AM EDT
Depends on your battery. How many cells is your battery? We had one line of four cell batteries that would only last for about 30 minutes normally. Whereas the 6 and 8 cell batteries would last 1-2 hours. A wireless NIC CAN suck juice real quick. Try running without using the NIC. You cannot overcharge the battery. The laptop has built in circuitry to prevent that. I would call the manufacturer's support line and tell them your setup and situation and see if it is normal. It just might be.. 1 hour out of a battery under good use might be normal.
Top Top