Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 7:00:29 PM EDT
i am exhausted, maybe im coming down from the paint buzz. Lemme know what you think of the appearance. Be honest.
I'll post more on this later tomorrow. I have enough pics, I like to outline the process I used.
Man, I picked the worst day to complete it, it was so humid out.
The grey color sticks out more in the first photo then it does in real life, is dark in my garage.
i hope it sticks!
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11626[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11646[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11631[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it looks purdy dang good!  I also like those Kohler engine Craftsman mowers too. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That is an outstanding cammo job!  Pray tell, how did you do it?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm impressed, a very nice looking rifle you got there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice looking. How many hours for the rifle alone?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
looks great to me!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Bling!

Nice job!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
I cracked a beer and stared at it for a bit, the pics definitely misrepresent the finish, the black and tan (what looks grey) are way-way more subtle. The leaf pattern is less distinct, maybe ill try a pic without the flash.
I guess if i'm staring at it, i am happy with the finish, otherwised I get pissed and go do something else. [:D]

I bedded the stock with epoxy and filled the hollow butt portion with urethane to strengthen it up.
I have way more time in prepping the stock, removing the mold seams, and the noted strengthening than in the painting portion.
Those Savage stocks really suck.

I have about 15 hrs in the stock and about 8 hours in taping and spraying the camo.

I have a Lauer Duro-coat kit, that would have took way longer and would have been harder to achieve the desired pattern. I was going to use the lauer kit but decided on the Kryon due to the duller finish and my spray equipment with borrowed compressor was water logged.

I grey up about a 45min away from Kohler, home of the engine. That lawnmover is a grunt but it really needs a posi rear-end. I figured people notice the MX bikes before the lawnmower. [:D] They got caught in the pics.

BTW: the gun is a cheap ultra-light Savage short-action. I really bought it for the purpose of a tryinig my hand at camo and building a light-weight hunter. It has not been shot yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it looks excellent!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That is sharp! great Job!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great! Are those Yamaha's? Do you ever go to Red river motorcycle trails?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks great! Are those Yamaha's? Do you ever go to Red river motorcycle trails?
View Quote

Yup! Man, how could ya tell, no blue. It's my 2000 125 and my girlfriend's 2001 85. I hit Red River or Muester a few times a year. Twice so far this year. That place is really hard on equipment with all the sand, especially on the river beach.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to Hijack the thread but I love that place! I hit it a few times a year, my sister lives in Ft. Worth so I always have a place to stay. BTW I have a 2002 KTM 250sx and Yeah it is very hard on equipment. I have never tried Meuster but I just might give it a try sometime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry to Hijack the thread but I love that place! I hit it a few times a year, my sister lives in Ft. Worth so I always have a place to stay. BTW I have a 2002 KTM 250sx and Yeah it is very hard on equipment. I have never tried Meuster but I just might give it a try sometime.
View Quote

Same place, muenster is nearest town. IM me next time you go, we'll hook up if I can make it out there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Being from Kansas do you ever go to Waynoka?  Where at in Kansas are you from?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm From Topeka. I've been to Waynoka, not my cup of tea. Seems to be a good place to get run over by a drunk in a dune buggy.

Boomholzer, Sounds good to me. Maybe we could get a group ride/shoot together. I'm sure there are more dirtbikers around here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmm.  Paint job no good.  Better not to dwell on it.   Send it to me so you can forget the whole sordid tale.

[beer]
Only kidding.  Pity you live in Texas.  I got a few paint jobs for ya here in AZ if you visit.  I like.

BTW, what exactly is the method used to achieve the pattern?  I'm dying to try my hand on a few rifles but haven't had the guts to try yet.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Paint job no good.  Better not to dwell on it.   Send it to me so you can forget the whole sordid tale.

[beer]
Only kidding.  Pity you live in Texas.  I got a few paint jobs for ya here in AZ if you visit.  I like.

BTW, what exactly is the method used to achieve the pattern?  I'm dying to try my hand on a few rifles but haven't had the guts to try yet.

View Quote

Ill post the whole speal in this thread. Its really easy, atleast in my methods.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Too dense and lacking in contrast. A rifle generally looks like a big black stick. yours looks like a big grey stick. You could make the pattern more functional with a couple WIDE stripes of Tan or OD.

If you were going a for a pretty range rifle, you nailed it. If you were after functional camo you didnt even come close.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Too dense and lacking in contrast. A rifle generally looks like a big black stick. yours looks like a big grey stick. You could make the pattern more functional with a couple WIDE stripes of Tan or OD.

If you were going a for a pretty range rifle, you nailed it. If you were after functional camo you didnt even come close.
View Quote

If the goal is to reduce the "stick" appearance of a rifle, how is adding long, wide stripes along the rifle's length going to help?
I'm not a camo expert.
I looked at camo patterns simular to the one below and thought it was less efficient.
[img]http://www.lauerweaponry.com/imagecust/1219021656461.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm From Topeka. I've been to Waynoka, not my cup of tea. Seems to be a good place to get run over by a drunk in a dune buggy.

Boomholzer, Sounds good to me. Maybe we could get a group ride/shoot together. I'm sure there are more dirtbikers around here.
View Quote

Sure, I know of a few other board member's in the DFW area with dirtbikes and 4-wheelers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I want to try doing a camo job on one of my rifles (not the AR). If I screw up, what is the best way to restore the gun to the original finish? I am afraid of ruining a perfectly fine rifle, but I have this urge to paint.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't see any rifle.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#25]
The project officially finished last Friday.

I ordered some DuraCoat clear from Lauer Weaponry and applied the clear over the camo to add some durability and chemical resistance.

By reducing the amount of hardner and appling many light "mist" coats, I was able to keep the dull, flat finish.

The DuraCoat sprays very nicely.

My next camo job will be all DuraCoat.

I want to thank ED who helped me alot in this project. His help was appreciated.
ED whats your Arfcom handle/alias?

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]
How do you expect to kill coyotes with a pile of grass?  [:D]

Excellent job!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]
brasspile,
that looks awesome. Do you have a close-up pic of the pattern?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Heres my FAL, with the DSA cammo job.
[img]http://www.funtigo.com/go?i=i455711_65252.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Boom and Brass...nice camo jobs!  They are awesome looking rifles.  Maybe sometime I will the balls to try it myself.  I used to do nice camo jobs on model fighter planes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#33]
It looks good, minus the parts you didn't (couldn't I assume) paint.

I give it an A-.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#35]
WOW! Damn sweet work on those rifles! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link to a bit of the procedure I used:
[url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187376&w=myTopicPop
[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top