eh?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
1 lg. crock pot
1 1/2 lb venison roast (cubed)
5 med potatoes
2 med onions
6 med carrots
1 small clove garlic(or large-it's your breath!)
V-8 or tomato juice
water
salt & pepper
Chop all veggies bite size (depends on YOUR mouth size!)except garlic-chop fine.
Toss in pot with venison and add V-8 or tomato juice and water(50-50) to within 1/2" of top of pot
Due to leaness of venison, you might want to add some beef fat, it's your call.
salt and pepper to taste
Turn pot on LOW([b]NOT[/b] medium or high), put on lid.
Come back much later
Eat!
(Corn, peas and cabbage can also be added or substituted if desired)
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Take 1 crock pot and saute in butter until brown... wait, that sounds wrong, lemme check this recipe out. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Trying HiramRanger's recipe minus the lamb. I had everything except that on hand and didn't want to go to the store.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Red_Beard,
Oh no, now you've hurt my feelings![img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/traurig/sad-smiley-001.gif[/img] I'll bet it was the red wine, wasn't it? Oh well, HiramRanger's did sound good. Mine was based on a basic beef stew that can be modified in many ways. Good luck and good eating!
[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-124.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
no hard feelings

it was the red wine

i just picked up six bottles of cheap australian shiraz this weekend, and while i've made stew with 1/2 cup or so added, i've never used a whole bottle on only two lbs of meat, so i thought i'd give it a try

it smells good already and it's only been in the pot for a little over an hour

we'll see how it tastes at breakfast 5 am tomorrow

btw HiramRanger: It's roux, and it's not just adding starch as a thickening agent. You take flour and cook it in fat of some kind until it turns dark. What kind of flour and oil, and how dark you let it get all depend on what you're  trying to do. Don't over cook. If you get black specks it will give a burned taste instead of a nutty good flavor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
well, it gets a big thumbs up

got up at 4:30 and popped some rolls into the oven and i'm eating tasty venison stew with fresh hot buttered rolls right now

it wasn't the best cut of venison, but overnight in the crock pot, and that bottle of wine really tenderized it

the juice/gravy has a really good taste too
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Venison and crock pots...stew, chile, venison sausage meatballs, etc. I love these things. My wife and I use the crock pot probably once a week all winter long.

Another good, quick, and easy recipe is venison stroganoff. Cube/cut up a package of chops or steaks (~1 lb), add a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup, dice up onions, mushrooms, add 2-3 beef bullion cubes, oregano, black pepper, etc (any spices you like). Cook on low heat in the crock pot all day. Add a bit of sour cream to give a smooth, creamy consistency. Poor over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top