Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/4/2003 6:27:48 AM EDT
I am interested to hear different opinions on fixed blade knives. Ideally it would serve as a secondary weapon and have a comfortable handle. What are you all carrying, and who are the "go to" manufactures?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:30:46 AM EDT
Lots of good Knife info in the Knife Forum under the 'the Armory' header.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2003 6:43:03 AM EDT by Jarhead_22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:45:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:04:27 AM EDT
I carry a Columbia River neck knife as a back-up to my folder. [img]http://home.neo.rr.com/slykerpics/guns%20003.jpg[/img] It's small, sharp, and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:21:43 AM EDT
I carry a Cold Steel Culloden and Kobun, to accompany my Vaquero Grande.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:30:15 AM EDT
I find custom knives to beautiful/expensive for carry/use. The production brands I like are Cold Steel, SOG, and Columbia River.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:24:33 AM EDT
I find that if you get some of the big brands such as Cold Steel, Buck, Benchmade etc you can't go too wrong. I personally got a Cold Steel Trail Master and it's smaller brother as a backup. These knives are 2nds that I bought personally from Lynn Thompson the owner of Cold Steel. According to Thompson, the only thing different from the 1st line, i.e. the blade was a tad off-center(personally I couldn't see it), is not polished as extensively(a good deal of the cost of a knife is here because of the hand labor), and they don't carry the life-time gaurantee. But he says that they are still hardened and sharpened to the same standards as the 1st line counter-parts. These to me are cosmetic which really do not have any bearing on its cutting/chopping abilitiy, and of course, I paid half of the street price for one. Thompson also had some first line at show, but they were doubled what the 2nds were selling for. The 2nds went right away. You can tell the 2nds by the fact that there is a numeral "2" stamped on the end of the hilt. For a weekend commando that suits me just fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:27:50 PM EDT
Just recently ordered an A.G. Russell D2 steel version of the Camillus Arclite for EDC fixed blade use. All my other fixed blades are hunting/camping knives. I've ALWAYS carried a folder or two, and prefer a pistol if I think that it would be best to have a weapon. Too old and out of shape to pretend that I'm a knife fighter. However if had to, I would prefer to go down like a man, and make anyone who wanted to harm me or mine pay a price for putting me down. I'll carry it and hope that it ends up being a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:50:07 PM EDT
if im normaly carring a fixed blade knife ill carry a Benchmade. I also have a in-the-pants sheath for it to. [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11280[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:10:14 PM EDT
Anybody know where I can find some info on the web on the Old John Ek knifes, I have a bowie 6" blader knife from them and would like to look it up. Not the new or latter BlackJack abortions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:34:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By C_Sly: I carry a Columbia River neck knife as a back-up to my folder. [url]http://home.neo.rr.com/slykerpics/guns%20003.jpg[/url] It's small, sharp, and inexpensive.
View Quote
I have a tanto blade Stiff KISS as a neck knife. Cheap, feels pretty good in the hand and easy to hide.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:00:27 PM EDT
It's small, sharp, and inexpensive.
View Quote
Nobody wants to have to throw their $200 knife into the river at midnight, there's a place in the world for a good cheap shiv.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:15:55 PM EDT
You guys haven't mentioned one of the best! Randall! They make a great knife. "A man who gets his throat cut with a Randall dies with a smile on his face."
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:02:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:05:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:14:34 PM EDT
Of course you are in the wrong place. Go to Colorado and ask the hiker if he has any suggestions. Yeah, that guy, with knife experience, who is retaining his right to keep and bear an arm.
Top Top