Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 9:12:19 AM EDT
I can drive perfectly well while talking on my phone.
So, to all those that want to ban "talking and driving" go screw yourself!
You probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.
Just cause your not capable of doing it doesn't mean I can't do it.[nana]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
ahh... the 'na na na na na- na' approach to a problem...

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
i 2nd that.  those of us who know how to multitask are not the problem.   For example: while flying i have to pay attention to a huge ammount of factors.  Just some of these are Radio(ATC), Map, Other aircraft, and instruments.  the list goes on and on.  As a driver i only have to keep my attenion on a few things.  using a cell phone while driving is no different than talking to ATC in an airplane.  atleast in my opinion.

Screw anties!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Every effing time I get on the road, some jackass on a cell phone cuts me off, turns in front of me, or merges into me.  These are the same fvckers that never use their turn signals because they're too busy gabbing on the phone.  Also, most of them don't have the common sense to drop the phone when they need both hands to control the car in an emergency.  

The answer, I think, is to make it legal to run people like that into the ditch and kick the crap out of them if they cut you off.  I don't think banning "talking & driving" would help.  [b][red]As a matter of fact, I think the world would be a lot better if it was legal to kick the crap out of rude people in general.[/red][b] [}:D]

Personally, I don't talk on my cel when driving because I have a stick.  If I had an auto, it would be different, but I'll never own another automatic.  [:D]  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Any action, when demonstrated to be an impediment to your driving, should be penalized.  The same action, when NOT proving to be an impediment, should be LEFT ALONE!  Punish the RESULT, not the provocation!  Hell, let's just make it illegal to do anything but drive in a silent car, with both hands on the wheel.  No sterios, burgers, kids, whatever.  Jeesh.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PS: I love it when the guy with the 1600 watt stereo nearly gets creamed by the screaming firetrucks too! Or when some guy with a wrist rocket nails them with a 158 grain .38 slug as they bump past his house - they can't hear the damage the slug does to their cars as they roll by!
View Quote

intresting..........very very interesting.[devil]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PS: I love it when the guy with the 1600 watt stereo nearly gets creamed by the screaming firetrucks too! Or when some guy with a wrist rocket nails them with a 158 grain .38 slug as they bump past his house - they can't hear the damage the slug does to their cars as they roll by!
View Quote

It's worse when those malcontents use ice. Not quite the same dent, but no evidence.

Edit to make clear such activity is a bad thing, never do this at home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#9]
They should be given the death penalty!!! Nothing like riding a motorcycle and have one of the cell phone mind nummed idiots drive you off the road. Whats with these freaking idiots that they can't even get out of their driveway without getting on their phones.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Their minds go numb at the thought of actually doing two things at once - or [red]perhaps their minds are already numb[/red]...
View Quote

Ding, ding, ding, ding!  Give the man a cigar!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I also can multitask no problem.  I [b]NEVER[/b] forget that driving is first and foremost.

Apparently some do and I could've been killed numerous times because of morons on their stupid precious phones!  I'm sure all of us have encountered these morons.

Last one was this stupid lady on the crowded 405 freeway who knocked us out of our lane.  We had to slam on the brakes to avoid her dumbass and swerve a little to the left.  She changed lanes pretty quickly without looking and I saw her stupid face in her sideview mirror.  She didn't even turn her fcking head!  If she did she wouldn't have changed lanes.  And ya, I saw her c-phone planted firmly on her stupid assed face.  

I'm getting really, really sick of this shit.  Almost every fckn day some fcker on a c-phone comes along and does stupid shit.

I don't want to see c-phones banned while driving but I know it's only a matter of time thanks to morons like this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was driving on the freeway the other day, talking on my cell phone of course, when I get cut off by some jerk talking on a cell phone.  So I start complaining to my friend on the phone about morons trying to drive while talking on the phone.

The Nerve...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
IIRC there was a time when radios and windshield wipers were on a "to be banned" list.  When I had a cell phone I used the little ear bud all the time.  I wish I had one for the regular phone I have now.

I say we just ban POV's then we all can get to know each other on the public people mover systems that the govt. will make for us. And we all know how efficient govt. sponsored systems are.[rolleyes][/rant off]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I always tell my wife I can not wait for the day that someone talking on the cell phone runs into one of our vehicles. They are going to have to be transported via ambulance to the hospital to get their Nokia surgically removed from their ass.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
What about sex?  Can we have sex while driving?   [naughty]

How many of you would turn down sex while driving?

Raise your hands...

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I never really cared if people talked on the phone while they were driving until about 4 years ago.

I was stopped for a red light.  Light turned green for me and as I started through the intersection, some soccer mom T- bones me.  She tole the cop that arrived what happened (she said she had the green light).  The cop informed her that he had seen the whole thing from a strip mall parking lot and gave her the ticket.

All I got out of it was a totaled out Grand Prix and a "Hope you are OK" from her.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel bad that those who can phone & drive will have to use the hands-free adapters because the majority are idiots.

That said, I have an idea:
No ban on cell phones, but if you cause an accident because you were talking on the cell,
not only do you pay all damages, but you loose your drivers license for a year and during that year
every weekend the violator must do community service.

That should weed out the stupid phoneheads and leave you "safe talkers" alone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I can talk and drive just fine too, but I seem to be in the minority from what I've witnessed on the road.  

I understand why they pass laws at least restricting useage to hands-free sets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Hang Up & Drive...

Says it all...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i 2nd that.  those of us who know how to multitask are not the problem.   For example: while flying i have to pay attention to a huge ammount of factors.  Just some of these are Radio(ATC), Map, Other aircraft, and instruments.  the list goes on and on.  As a driver i only have to keep my attenion on a few things.  using a cell phone while driving is no different than talking to ATC in an airplane.  atleast in my opinion.

Screw anties!
View Quote

One diff, Cit...

In the air, you have far more maneuvering room than on the road, and the airways are much less crowded than a busy freeway (with a few exceptions around certain airports)... Depending on IFR or VFR, airspace class, etc, you may also have radar separation keeping you away from other aircraft, and making it critical to your safety to be on the line with ATC...

In the car (or on a bike, where it's far worse), there is less manuevering room: it's not uncommon to be boxed in so that one ditz on a cell phone can kill you (and there's nothing you can do)... Also, there is no safety benefit to being on the line in the car... It's a distraction, not an asset...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
You have a good point.  It does depend on where your at.  But a mistake in an Airplane in my personal opinion is more costly and dangerous.  Sure both are dangerous, but there are obviously more things going on in an airplane than in a car.  My basic point is that being able to multi-task in an airplane, helps my ablility to multi-task in a car.  this may not be for everyones case, but for my case it works.  

Excelent point you made! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree w/ the multi-tasking view point.  I too, can multi-task while diving.  I know where most (I'm not perfect) cars are around me at all times, I can use my blinker, talk on my cell phone, have a soda in my hand, change lanes, ash my cigarette, and down shift all at the same time.  There's no excuse for not being able to handle two out of any of those.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I generally abhor a ban on anything, but I've seen one accident and a couple of near misses caused by someone driving with one hand while trying to turn or maneuver because they were intent on farticulating into their cell phone. The practice of using a non-handsfree cellphone while driving should be illegal and subject to a summons for careless driving.
If you have to talk while in the vehicle, either get one of the handsfree devices or pull over. Your call just isn't that important.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Well...

For those of you that can talk on the phone and not miss a beat when driving, good for you.  There are many that are not as fortunate as you.  Heck, there ARE some people that can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  My point is, you cannot be the basis for judgement.  

I particularly do not like the idea of outlawing it, but I think that if talking on a phone contributes to an accident, then whoever was talking on the phone should bear increased liability for said accident.  Some people are too distracted by yapping on the phone, and sadly, most are too stupid to know better.

Myself, when I'm driving, there's not much I miss that goes on around me.  I'm aware of where everyone is around me, and in front of me.  I watch how traffic flows.  (and I love laughing at people that try to pass me, only to get behind someone going slower, because they completely lack the ability to think more than 2 seconds ahead!)

But put a phone to my ear, and I miss a LOT.   Thus, I do not talk on the phone when driving.  I avoid it when at all possible.  Hell, I've got voicemail and caller ID, so I won't miss much.  

Once when driving home, down a back street into the back of my apartments, a friend called me (one who talks too much while driving and who gets distracted by it) so I answered.  I made it back to my apartment, then I told her the scary:  

I said 'Kim, I passed I think three cars going the other way in the last 2 minutes.  All I can tell you is that one of them was white.  I can't remember anything else, because I didn't notice.'  

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Talking to your passenger is like talking to a phone.
I hate the argument that there is only one hand on the wheel.  Well, news flash, I drive with my left hand on the wheel regardless of whether I am on the phone or not.  My other hand is either on the shifter or just setting there on the console.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]
What about people reading newspapers or allpy make-up agressively while driving?
Or what about the soccer mom yelling at her kids in the back seat, not paying attention to the road.
I think the problem is people not paying attention.  They are distracted by anything, not just cell phones.  I have seen a bitch not paying attention - she was singing to the radio and looking up into the sky!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I got an idea for a new bumper sticker from this topic. How about' People talking on their cell phones while driving have killed more people than my guns". [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top