Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2003 8:38:51 AM EDT
I'm considering an ultra-light wheelgun purchase. Small framed, very light weight and super reliable are musts.
Taurus has some really innovative designs on the market, including the .32 mag.
Anyone got info, pro or con, on this little round?
[url]http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=731SS2ULC&category=Revolver[/url]
My first choice in caliber is a 45ACP 5 shot 23.8 oz w/fixed sights, like this:
[url]http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=455SS2&category=Revolver[/url]
Unfortuatly, it isn't available until sometime this summer.
Of course, the old' .357 is always a good choice. (17.3oz.) I'll probably end up with a ultralight .357 loaded with .38's in the summer and .357 in the winter.
Taurus sure has alot of choices...that ultralight .45acp sure is tempting. I've been a lifelong Glock CCW guy...as I get older I've realized that I shoot wheelguns better than I do pistols.
Mabey I just want an excuse to buy a new wheelgun...but does it really matter? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Ruger Single Six SSM in .32 H&R when it first came out in 1985 and have been a fan of the caliber ever since. Sold the Ruger several years ago and bought one of S&W's limited run of Model 16-4s in that caliber (I still have the S&W). It's a fun caliber to shoot and accurate, but doesn't offer much that the .38 Special or .22 rimfire don't already. On top of that, the caliber has made it into the domain of "handload only." I don't see factory .32 H&R fodder very often and it's not likely you'll find any at your local discount chain store either.

In 1985 it seemed like a good idea, but today I wouldn't buy a gun in that caliber.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If factory ammo was easier to find .32H&R mag would make sense in a defensive gun.  6 shots in a J frame sized revolver instead of 5 .38 Specials.  In some countries .32 cal is the max for civilian pistols.  I think Brazil is like this so that would explain the Taurus offerings.  .32 H&R mag, or even .32 Smith & Wesson Long is harder than hell to find though.  I had to look all over KC just to find a box of .32 S&W Long so I could try it out in my M1895 Nagant....7.62x38R Nagant revolver ammo being damn near nonexistant $$$$$$Fiocchi.  7.62x38R Nagant & .32H&R mag are more or less the same power wise  Since it's mostly a handloading proposition, I'll just get dies & brass for the Nagant round.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll probably end up with a ultralight .357 loaded with .38's in the summer and .357 in the winter.
View Quote

Why the difference on the rounds according to the season? *wondering*

NsB
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t have a .32 H&R Magnum (though I admit the Ruger Single Six package looks fun to shoot).  My big complaint about the round is that the bullets are just too light.

For self-defense, I’d give up the extra round and go for a .38 Special +P round of at least 124 grains or so of bullet weight.

Those ultra-light, large caliber revolvers are fun to carry but not to shoot!!  I really doubt you’ll be sending many .357 magnums downrange in a 17-ounce revolver!!

Plus, for me at least, the heavy recoil absolutely destroys my accuracy (I just don’t like being hit!!).

Edited to add: any idea what kind of velocities you’re looking at in a 2 inch .45 ACP revolver?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several .32 H&R Magnums.  Let me know if you want to try any of them out.

I have a Ruger Single-six, and it's probably the best all around one.  It's also neat, cause it's a single action, just the ejection is tricky as the gate is JUST big enough to clear the case.

I also have a Charter Arms (forgot the model) 4" with adj sights.  I actually haven't shot it yet, though I have had it some time.  I guess I forget I have it, or there's always something else to shoot.  It does make a decent trail gun, and the adj sights are a nice feature, but the trigger pull could use some work.  Hey, it's a Charter, what can you expect?

I also have two Colts in .32 H&R Mag.  Numrich (now Gun Parts Corp) used to sell replacement cylinders in .32 H&R.  The kit came with a barrel, but I just used Colts that were already .32 New Police.  Fitting the cylinder took some work, but wasn't overly difficult.  One is an alloy frame Cobra 3" bbl, and the other's a Police Positive (steel frame) 4" bbl.

The .32 H&R is a great cartride when used within it's limitations.  I wouldn't pick one primarily for self-defense, but I wouldn't feel helpless with one if that's what I had.  It's effective on small game, and really shines in that arena.  It's just a very fun round to shoot.  Most people who own one like the .32 H&R very much and become fans.  But, like all cartridges, you should use it within it's perfromance.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll probably end up with a ultralight .357 loaded with .38's in the summer and .357 in the winter.
View Quote

Why the difference on the rounds according to the season? *wondering*

NsB
View Quote

My reasoning is winter= heavy clothes (less penatration)
Summer= light clothes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Good point.
Thanx for the answer [:)]

NsB
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
bought one of S&W's limited run of Model 16-4s in that caliber (I still have the S&W). It's a fun caliber to shoot and accurate, but doesn't offer much that the .38 Special or .22 rimfire don't already. On top of that, the caliber has made it into the domain of "handload only."
View Quote

It offers one more round in the cylender than the .38s, and much better wound ballistics than the .22LR

Black Hills loads ammo for it. So does Magsafe.

I woulds still lke to get one of the S&W or Ruger 6shot .32s
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
It offers one more round in the cylender than the .38s, and much better wound ballistics than the .22LR
View Quote

In a J-frame or similar sized revolver. K-frames are still six-shot.

Black Hills loads ammo for it. So does Magsafe.
View Quote

Neither brand of which is available on a large retail basis and neither of which are economical enough to shoot casually in large quantities.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I would prefer the North American Arms Seecamp clone chambered in .32NAA. It is a new round similar to the .357 Sig based on a .380 case necked down to .32. It is lighter, smaller, and thinner than the small wheelguns and more powerful than the .32 H&R and the .38spl. Cor-bon is loading the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would prefer the North American Arms Seecamp clone chambered in .32NAA. It is a new round similar to the .357 Sig based on a .380 case necked down to .32. It is lighter, smaller, and thinner than the small wheelguns and more powerful than the .32 H&R and the .38spl. Cor-bon is loading the ammo.
View Quote

But the ammo situation would be even worse.  .32H&Rmag can be found with some effort, .32NAA?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
my grandma has one of those S&W airlights in it hurts like hell to shoot but a good round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top