Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2003 6:31:40 PM EDT
... There is certainly a requirement for one. Owners of the TAO1-NSN ACOG need a back-up, red-dot optic for CQB type work.
With the participation and input from members of this board I've designed one. If there's interest, I'll get some into production.

... Go to this AR15.com link for more pictures and info.

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=148006&page=1]Optics Forum[/url]

... Can I get a tack for a couple days to let people know, then I'll tack this in the Optics Forum whilst the project is coming to fruition.

... a taste of what's to come.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11475[/img]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Winston_Wolf,

All the link at specwargear.com says is that it is coming soon.  I ordered 1 from a member off of AR15.com.  I needed two, he only had one.  

I received the mount yesterday.  It is simple, lightweight and has a weaver rail.  At first I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting a direct mount, not a rail mount.  However, after thinking about it, I realized that I now have options beyond just a Docter sight.  So, I am pleased.  

I do need a second mount for a different rifle.  Any ideas as to when these will come available?

-Pat
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I found these on Ebay Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3606730161&category=36258[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, send one to me "gratis" and I'll make sure I fully field test it on mine for you.

Is it mounted via the hex scews that are for the rear ghost ring sight? (which really sucks BTW).
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
... Look at these designs that I modeled. I took into consideration the input about a re-zeroing feature and I lowered the platform as much as I could.

... Let me know what you think of this version before I start writing the N/C program and schedule machine time.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11541[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11542[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11543[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks great!  Mark me down for one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Winston_Wolf:

Perhaps increasing the radius/web on the front ledge/ring junction some...

Using my Mk1 eye ball the mounting hole to the corner of the radius looks like a potential failure area if the Dr. Optic takes a blow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
In case you missed it in the Optics forum, I'm in!

BTW I like how low-profile the entire mount is compared to some of those "hi-top" Optima bases I've seen.  How durable is this sight at that thickness?  Is it susceptible to snags (looks well covered by top turret, though)?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found these on Ebay Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
View Quote

Those are mounts for Optima 2000 (defunct) to AR15 carry handle and won't work for [b]Docter Optic[/b] to [u]ACOG[/u]. Two differing parts altogether.

Quoted:
Perhaps increasing the radius/web on the front ledge/ring junction some
View Quote

... There may be some real estate to do that, but it looks as though the threads would fail before the structure would. However, the leading edge is only about 0.025" away from the ACOG and any bending moment in that direction would be carried by the ACOG. In the opposing direction the [b]Docter Optic[/b] would fail.

Quoted:
How durable is this sight at that thickness?
View Quote

... Not sure I understand the question, but my analysis shows the [b]Docter Optic[/b] is the point of failure, not this mount.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
THERE IT IS IN ALL IT'S GLORY!!!!

WOW now to see it materialize : )  

I'm still in.

I think the mount looks like it could use a hair of baseplate thickness. Is it steel or aluminum? I could be completely wrong I know low is good but tough is good too.

[b]EDITED: what the hell I'm not smart enough to do analysis it looks good to me.
[/b]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in for one too.  Very nice job, I hope you put the morons at specwargear.com out of Optima/Docter mounts business [:d]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Picky inkaybee is back.

Looks good except it still sits back a little far.  You could move the back edge of the Docter flush with the back edge of the ring and gain an 1/8th inch or so.  I'm telling you, if you shoot like me it will pound your forehead all day long.

For those concerned about forces not being transmitted into the acog body and a possible break or bend -- I think you could "bed" the mount to the top of the acog using a steel impregnated epoxy (availible in putty form at the automotive parts store).  This would make for a snug fit bitween the acog and the mount and help assure return to zero.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Now all we need is a group buy for Docter Optics Red dots!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I second that GROUP BUY

GROUP BUY

GROUP BUY!!

I need a DR. Optic but am a little low on $$ so any lower price would be great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
" Looks good except it still sits back a little far"
View Quote

... I need input on this observation guys, I'll move it forward if it is the best configuration. The eye relief on my ACOG is about 1 1/2 inches so I didn't see it as a problem even with my nose on the charging handle. We need to decide, I can't afford multiple versions once metal chips start to fly.

Quoted:
" Is it steel or aluminum?"
View Quote

... 6061 T6 Aluminum plate

Quoted:
" Now all we need is a group buy for Docter Optics Red dots!
View Quote

... Maybe with [b]SteyrAUG[/b]'s clout in this business he could arrange one!  Someone that knows him should inquire. I've done business with him a few times and he's dependable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked my ACOG today

(the eye relief is short and my forehead is close [like 3/4 of an inch to an inch] so I reccomend mounting it as close to the elevation housing as possible.)

As long as my forehead taps the scope before it taps the DR sight it will be fine (the scope has a rubberized eyebell the DR is not padded!)

I think the very short eye relief is due to the fact that they were going for maximum field of view.

[b]OH yes and DR OPTIC GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY![/b]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I checked my ACOG today

(the eye relief is short and my forehead is close [like 3/4 of an inch to an inch] so I reccomend mounting it as close to the elevation housing as possible.)

As long as my forehead taps the scope before it taps the DR sight it will be fine (the scope has a rubberized eyebell the DR is not padded!)

I think the very short eye relief is due to the fact that they were going for maximum field of view.

[b]OH yes and DR OPTIC GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY![/b]
View Quote

... OK, give me a little time to move the platform (footprint of Docter Optic) forward. I'll post updated pics soon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Just move it forward as far as it will go without touching the elevation cap and produce it!  

I don't need to see another model it looks fine.

Remember once you finish the model and go to production phase you are looking at 4-12weeks for most machinists (who by the way are slow as hell).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top