Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 8:58:37 PM EDT
A survey of magazine & clip suppliers indicates that big price increases will come as the summer months arrive. As sportsmen go outdoors to shoot for enjoyment in the nicer weather, their pockets will be a little emptier. News at the "magazine" icon at:
National CCW Reciprocity Foundation
http://www.NationalCCW.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No, prices will skyrocket when the SHTF in California this summer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, prices will skyrocket when the SHTF in California this summer.
View Quote

SHTF.... don't worry.  As it goes, the fan won't be running to spread the stuff.....(haa, haa.)  No power.......
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL good point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have paid top dollar for my mags and would like to see the ban sunset also. I would gladly eat the loss to retain a little bit of freedom and sanity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
National,

At first you kinda seemed like you were spreading news that neded spread...

I have seriously been reevaluating what I think of you every day....

As the liberal media proclaimed, IF you keep saying recession, or the R word..GUESS WHAT....

So are you trying to stir a simmering pot? We already see idiots trying to get a kings ransom for USA mags...What is your point? Whose side are you on? Are you sent to us by rosie? Is it REALLY National Chubby Chick WAIF? What is your goal? I have seen you SLAM the NRA, now more chicken little stories...

I am TRYING HARD to recal a POSITIVE slant on one of your posts.....

LETS HEAR IT.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda funny how GAS prices go up in summer too ??? One day... We won't be able to  afford to drive anywhere or buy hi-cap mags. I guess eventually it will be too expensive to leave your home.........(Democrat dream)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy runs thru ALL the boards, screamin the sky is falling down....The NRA is BAD for us....

I believe the term Reagan made famous was ...disinformation...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
National,

At first you kinda seemed like you were spreading news that neded spread...

I have seriously been reevaluating what I think of you every day....

As the liberal media proclaimed, IF you keep saying recession, or the R word..GUESS WHAT....

So are you trying to stir a simmering pot? We already see idiots trying to get a kings ransom for USA mags...What is your point? Whose side are you on? Are you sent to us by rosie? Is it REALLY National Chubby Chick WAIF? What is your goal? I have seen you SLAM the NRA, now more chicken little stories...

I am TRYING HARD to recal a POSITIVE slant on one of your posts.....

LETS HEAR IT.....
View Quote

I'm with you CavVet...

His post doesn't sound like an individual's point of view...It looks more like a news article posted to justify someones overpriced mags...read it again...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Like it or not the laws of Supply & Demand can not be beaten. To say the price of something will go up, in itself will not make it go up. Unless you believe in the economic teaching of Keynes, a LIBERAL.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who slams the NRA is a f@#%ing a$$hole in my book,  and shouldn't even be on this website.  The NRA IS the ONLY reason we are still allowed to posess guns. Like them or not they are the loudest voice we have, bar none...Put the petty bullsh.t aside and join the NRA. It is the ONLY WAY we can fight the gun grabbers.I doubt you will ever get to shoot any of them. We are already losing our voices as voters ...just look at the last pres. election, Gore almost won by simply picking up votes in major cities across the USA. It didn't matter who the rest of the country voted for, because the cities are so overpopulated they accounted for such a large number of votes to Gore.  The NRA sparked greater interest in the election.The NRA is the ONLY reason Bush won. I hope Mr. Bush recognizes this and helps to loosen up the laws a bit....Time is short...buy now while it's still legal...      
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
  Who said anything bad about the NRA? As an NRA life member they are fine organization. However that doesn't mean I have to suck NRA c**k either. "Project Exile" will eventually be turned against us. As a matter of fact a New Mexican who bought a gun while having a restraining order against him (but not a felon) just got busted under the NRA supported Project Exile program. WAY TO GO BOYS! When will the tanks be coming to your house because your rifle has too many evil components.

However the NRA is still a fine organization, but I reserve my right to disent as certain issues come up. Later.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
IF I recall correctly, you called for switching support away from the NRA, as they (paraphrased)were a little 'compromising' ...was that NOT you...? and I believe you had yet another issues with them....

DONT misunderstand me, as I said in my original post, I 'thought' you were bringing news. Adding fuel to a fire on mag shortage 'newsflashes' is a non news, only bad can come of it thread. Supply and demand IS econ 101....IF/when they dry up, we may/may not see price hikes...

To forecast one as a 'newsflash', to me, is VERY irresponsible.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always said the NRA is a fine organization in general, but at times I agree with gun owners of america more than the NRA. Yes, I don't like compromise.

supply & demand doesn't work that way. Every day supply goes down as magazines break. With demand growing daily, the price must go up. I've done these surveys for the last 3 years and the response was that no big price increases were coming. So guess what? No big price increase, no story, that's why I haven't had to write one. But this time, the word is price hikes are coming. So this year I have a story when I did the survey. I have no problem leaving something be, I'll just do a report on something else. But when suppliers are looking to push up prices this year, I've got to report it.

As Ludwig Von Misses, of the conservative Austrian school of economics believed, peoples perception can not affect the price of a good, only supply and demand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
only supply and demand can.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
At what point does a person decide that they have enough high capacity magazines?

I've got 5 high capacity magazines for my Para Ordinance P14, do I really need to get a 6th high cap magazine?

I've got 25 some odd 30 round magazines for my AR15s, do I need to pick up another 25 in order to be "prepared" or to consider myself well stocked?

I feel this is what a majority of gun owners ask themselves when in the same situation, how much satisfaction will be derived by paying for an additional high capacity magazine when they've already got 10,20,30 of the things.  Paying an additional 4-5 bucks per magazine might mean that they buy 15-20 magazines rather than going out and buying 25-30 magazines.  Is there any more satisfaction in owning 25-30 magazines as opposed to 15-20 magazines?  Will a person be hard enough on their magazines that in their lifetime the punishment they dish out will neccesitate them needing 15-20 magazines as opposed to maybe just 5 magazines?

In my mind, high capacity magazine demand is coming more from new firearms owners(new addition to their collection) than from people who already have these firearms and a stash of mags on hand.

Being that there is a limited supply of magazines out there on the market the price will continue to go up but I don't think it's gonna be as steep a slope as what we witnessed back before the SB23 ban going into effect along with all the Y2K hype.  I have yet to see such a frenzy as during that time period, I don't think it's about to happen again any time soon.

Still though, gouging will continue to press on as that's just human nature.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
As Ludwig Von Misses, of the conservative Austrian school of economics believed, peoples perception can not affect the price of a good, only supply and demand.
View Quote

Supply and demand set prices -- but what drives demand?  Perception!

Consider, for instance, what happened to Amazon.com's stock price.  When there was a perception that the Internet was becoming a dominant factor in the economy, investors threw money at Amazon and the stock price soared.  Then when there was a perception that those investors had been buying into a speculative bubble that was about to burst, people were dumping Amazon's stock and the price crashed.

Anyway, I've never seen any seasonal variation in demand for magazines before and I don't see why this summer would be any different.  Sure, there's a slow attrition in the supply as magazines get lost and damaged, but it's a fraction of a percent per annum.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
National CCW, thank you for posting updates all the time for us on the various gun boards.  You are doing yeoman work.  I also agree with you regarding Keynes and von Mises.  

You are also correct regarding supply and demand for any commodity.  What you say is true but by the same token this (rising magazine prices) should really not be taking anyone by surprise.  We have had the "hi-cap mag ban" for over six years now.  At some point the limited supply will cause rising prices.  Just like gasoline in the summer and heating oil in the winter.  You are passing on accurate information and I see that.  

Keep on keeping on.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Bravo, Matt VDW!

You beat me to the punch.  The only thing that the consumer can control in the supply/demand equation is the demand.  Demand is based on perceived need.  If people perceive that mags are going to suddenly get harder to obtain, then the demand will increase, pushing the price up on this limited commodity.

News flash for the economically challenged:  If no one is willing to pay the current price, then the price goes down!

In the final analysis, if the question is "How much is it worth?" The answer is always, "How much is someone willing to spend for it".  The buyers perceived need will regulate the amount, not the "experts" opinion of what the price should be.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#20]
when i was a kid my grandfathers gave me guns that arn't made anymore.i'm going to give my grandkids mag's that arn't made anymore. just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have paid top dollar for my mags and would like to see the ban sunset also. I would gladly eat the loss to retain a little bit of freedom and sanity.
View Quote

AMEN, BROTHER!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like it or not the laws of Supply & Demand can not be beaten.
View Quote

Progressive Arms is bringing hundreds of thosands of AK mags into the country. That is why NEW mags are as low as $5.95.
Europe will continue making mags and telling use "Oh sure, we made those way back in 1992" as long as we have the $$$ to ipmort them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
ALso, those "export" only, .gov BS will get onto the market.  Sure they might be a little refinished, but people will buy them.  I think every gun owner should own a police mag in their collection. You can show your friends/family the difference between a legal one and a "illegal" one. NOTHING.

We live in a market economy.  If there is a demand, someone will supply.  Drugs are one example. .gov banned them, and now you can get some killer weed, coke, smak, meth in every city in america.  Hell, we just had a chicago cop get busted for selling it!!  
Police who are with us, will start selling mags to us, they need money too.  
More important why the ban needs to end, china.  We need every american to learn how to use a rifle. 1 billion on them, 300 million of us.  Do the math, every american is going to need to kill 3 of them for us to survive.
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't believe this bullshit.  All it is is a cheap ploy to increase prices.  It the same crap that is in the thread about b.s. stories you have heard.  You know, the one where you go to sell your gun and guy behind the counter always tells you that it has been "a soft year".

Hell, this is ridiculous if you looking for m16 mags, there are thousands if not millions on the market, there is no way demand is going to be 10-20 times what it is now.

This stuff makes me sick.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys do not think that an already 400%-500% increase of their real value isn't already skyrocketed? Wake up people!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
If things get bad and crime takes a big jump county sheriffs can make deputies out of whomever they choose...thats one of the good things of our form of 'govt and states rights vs fed demands...So sheriff I am at your service and will gladly pay my own way out of pocket...just sell me the mags at cost ....
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#27]
interesting point - i too was wondering why mag prices seemed so out of place with the rest of the gun industry - rumors of this and that and gun show prices etc- i saw lots of cheap mags at the show in phoenix last dec.  almost half what they were before y2k.  i feel have plenty of mags (10 per gun) and i only use the same 5 or 6 over and over again.  

i'm a casual shooter who enjoys the hell out of shooting military looking rifles.  the most dangerous thing i shoot at is a steel plate at 100m.  going to 'combat' (against who???) with my ar and 'gear' is about likely as me winning the super lotto!!!

steve
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]
the thing is theres literly hundreds of thouhsands of pre ban mags but becouse of the hype there selling for s much you can bet the factorys where crankeiing em out in overload before the deadline
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
fixed supply?  I think it's decreasing.  some are worn out, some are lost, some are damaged, etc.   been this way for 6.5 years, don't know why this summer would be different.  at least for Y2K there was a reason. (ha ha  [:D] )

osprey21, you laugh about this. >> [i]""The end is near. Stock up NOW !  NIW 30s, 5 for $750.00 shipped.""[/i]

But if you're a Glock shooter, and want the least common mags in new condition, you're almost there already!  Try to find some cheap new FML G20 fullcap mags.  

for reference:  [url]http://www.glockmeister.com/basement.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Think about it:

Mag Supply= Fixed unless illegal mags are sold.

View Quote

Ever hear of a Bulgarian Waffle Mag for the AK47? Ever see very many of them before 1994?

Tens of thousands of them are appearing on the market now as low as $12.00 each. Anyone think the Bulgarians give a sh!t about the Magazine capacity provisions of the 1993 Crime Bill?

Supply is INCREASING, not fixed or decreasing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
sundog its even more nuts the people paying 110 bucks for glock mag hel id sell my glock mag in a heart beat for 110 bucks i can get 2 for about that price

heh any way yeah USGI mags might not have been
been cranking em out by the crapload but i bet Glock was
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
This topic itself amazes me.I just completed my mag collection for my AR. 7 Thermolds, 7 30 rd USGI, 10 20 rd for plinking and range. It amazes me because this is another way to up the price on stuff that is already getting too expensive. $20 for a plastic Thermold? What did it cost to make?Same with Orlite. These should be the $5 mags.Cause it dont cost them more than 2 bucks to make. USGI mags are another matter in itself.Some people think they are gold.And prices for them are pretty whacked too. I dont care who made it. Does it work?And if it doesnt (if its not in really, really bad shape) it can be made to work again. Why can you get pre ban hi caps for a Beretta 92 for less than $10 but AR mags are up to $20 and $30 a piece.Mags for an Astra A-100 I bought years ago for $15 are $70 bucks now!It makes no sense. For every gun I own I have at least three mags to go with it. Some more(my AR) some less, but I've actually held off on buying a Glock cause the mags are ridiculously priced.I love the gun, just cant handle the needed accessory prices. If I have 4 mags and the total cost of those is more than I spent on the gun itself, thats a big problem. There's plenty of mags out there people. You just got to look around.Some members round here could supply a small army with their reject mag pile. And if thats the case, I'll buy them.I'll take all of em! I've gotten almost all of my 20 rounders from people who said they just wouldnt work. A little tweaking later and the're functioning flawless. Bought most for less than $10 a piece.I admit that there may be a demand for certain things, but it doesnt justify some of the outrageous prices people and businesses ask for.Is it a collector item? OK then. That I can understand to an extent. General, Everyday, steel or aluminum mags a plenty shouldnt be $30.and Plastic ones definately shouldnt be $20. But I guess I'll have to just take whats coming. More price increases for a hobby that I enjoy. More Bitching from my wife etc.. etc..  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Magazine import ban soon. Very soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top