Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2003 9:19:46 AM EDT
I've been thinking on this.  Most of us would not consider the 15ar to be a MBR.  When you think of that, rifles like the FAL, CEMTE, AR10 and M1A come to mind.  Basically powerful cartridge in a package that will handle 20 round magazines.  My question for all yall is if the 20 round magazine capacity is required for employing a rifle as a MBR?

The Garand, which most consider a fine rifle, is not in my opinion a more effective MBR than an M1A for example.  The 8 round, can't top off rilfe in my mind really detracts from the effectiveness of the rifle.  But throw the VEPR .308 and new DPMS 308 into the mix.  Both of these rifles only have 10 round magazines.  In a SHTF scenario will there be a serious disadvantage to the 10 round v/s 20 round magazine?

I'm also watch OlyArms with must anticipation.  They have an upper that is going to be chambered in either 223 or 243 wssm.  This rifle will use ar15 magazines and obviously not have the same high capacity ability (due to the fat nature of these rounds).  But I'm excited with the possibility of 243 P+ type power out of an ar15 platform (hello new CavArms coyote brown lower).

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I will resurrect this one from Page 78.

I would say an MBR should have at least a 20rd capacity detacable box magazine, semi-auto, solid man-stopping capacity at extended ranges (up to 600-700m), ability to engage light vehicles at short to moderate ranges (up to 200m), utterly reliable, easy to field-strip for cleaning, hollow buttstock for storage of cleaning supplies and/or spare parts, sights that are pre-set for known ranges (like A2 sights), pistol grip, materials that are as impervious to the elements as is pratically possible, flash hider, bayonet lug, sling, non-reflective finish, select-fire available as an option.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as topping of the 8 round Garand clip. When did you last top off a M-16?

There is a clip release on the side of the Garand that when the action is open will eject the clip along with any unspent rounds.

Also what's wrong with shooting all of your rounds than sticking a fresh clip in? Plus I see guys doing it all the time on T.V. with the M-4's.

Plus I can reload a M-1 pretty fast when need be.

Nothing wrong with any of the other rifle's you mentioned.

ED
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as topping of the 8 round Garand clip. When did you last top off a M-16?

There is a clip release on the side of the Garand that when the action is open will eject the clip along with any unspent rounds.

Also what's wrong with shooting all of your rounds than sticking a fresh clip in? Plus I see guys doing it all the time on T.V. with the M-4's.

Plus I can reload a M-1 pretty fast when need be.

Nothing wrong with any of the other rifle's you mentioned.

ED
View Quote

"topping off" a intagral magazine rifle is the same as a "tactical reload" with a AR15. You replace a partially full mag with a full one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"topping off" a intagral magazine rifle is the same as a "tactical reload" with a AR15. You replace a partially full mag with a full one.
View Quote

Yes, I know that is what the current meaning is, but back in the day, topping off meant adding rounds in a bolt action.

Yeah I guess I kinda of worded it wrong. Sorry for that.

ED

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top