Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't let this thread die on the vine guys! It is too important.

Let's see some other examples of letters that we have sent to our Reps.

Give your fellow board members some different arguments and approaches to draw from for their letters!
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
[i]A couple of excerpts from the text of the bill. These little nuggets of finding & purpose could prove beneficial in any future legal challenges, as they provide core issues that must be addressed by the courts.[/i]

[b]SEC. 2. FINDINGS; PURPOSES.[/b]

(a) [b]FINDINGS[/b]- The Congress finds the following:

(1) Citizens have a right, protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, to keep and bear arms.

[b]PURPOSES[/b]- The purposes of this Act are as follows:

(2) To preserve a citizen's access to a supply of firearms and ammunition for all lawful purposes, including hunting, self-defense, collecting, and competitive or recreational shooting.

(3) To guarantee a citizen's rights, privileges, and immunities, as applied to the States, under the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, pursuant to section 5 of that Amendment.

[i]See... this is about much more than an end to frivolous law suits!!![/i]

So... you gonna write now?  Yea, that's right, I'm talking to [b]you[/b] New Jersey, Maryland, New York,  Kalifornia, etc...  [;D]
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
NY Patriot,

What chances do you think this bill has of being fillibustered by an anti-gun Democratic senator?

I know we need to contact our sens but is there a good chance this is going down?

CRC
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
CRC, unlike some of the other board members here at AR15.com, I don't own a crystal ball, so I really can't say what the chances are that the Dems will make good on their threat to filibuster.  

What we all need to remember however, is that we [i]already[/i] have the votes to pass this bill in the Senate. All we are trying to do is weaken the Democrats appetite for a filibuster. They can only go to the well so many times with this threat before they come off like obstructionists.

A deluge of support for this legislation will show Democrats that they do not want to die on this particular hill, and they will redirect their attention to some other item the Pres. has said that he supports (like conservative judges or the tax cut.)

We don't have to move mountains in this fight CRC... we just have to weaken their resolve a little bit, & WE WIN!  

To this end, even hard core Leftist Senators need to hear from us early & often!!!

[b]"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved".[/b]

-William Jennings Bryan

Link Posted: 4/25/2003 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
BTW... the complete text of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act can be found here...

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=183267&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I realize that the AW ban renewal is receiving the lion's share of attention from 2nd. Amendment activists these days, but let's not forget that S.659 is on the table [i]now[/i], and that it has already been passed in Congress with broad bi-partisan support.

Pres. Bush is on record as saying that he will [b]sign this bill into law[/b] if it graces his desk.  Hell... The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act [b]already has the votes to pass the Senate![/b]  

The only thing standing in the way of this bill becoming law is the threat of a Democrat filibuster, and we can change their minds if only we WRITE OUR SENATORS, & URGE THEM TO SUPPORT S.659!!!

To this end, I have made it [b]exceedingly[/b] easy to let your opinion be heard, by compiling a thread of sample letters that other gun owners have written on S.659.  

It can be found [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185473]Here[/url].

Feel free to mix & match, cut & paste, and generally adapt these letters as you see fit.

[b]It really doesn't get any easier than this, so please help to get his much needed legislation passed!!![/b]

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like my two boys from Wis. need some more encouraging....gunna have to write them again. Mybe I'll give them a call as well, wth why not.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like my two boys from Wis. need some more encouraging....gunna have to write them again. Mybe I'll give them a call as well, wth why not.
View Quote

after 7+ letters since january, neither of those fricken bastards has responded to me

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top