BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A shame the author of that blog stepped on his dick in the EE.  He was a decent poster here.
View Quote

It's not really a shame, the fact is AT is a pretentious douche.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.
View Quote

No fucking shit. Use Mobile 1 if you want.

It's not fucking sex lube people.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.

Which is usually little more than glycerin and water.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nvm
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
To their credit, Crisco is very popular in the black powder community.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Crisco or not, it seems to work well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is why I use Mobile 1
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
After taking a look at the FT-IR spectra that's a pretty damned good match.  They may not have been lying about it not being crisco, that's a brand name that's thrown around like kleenex.  Also, I can do some FT-IR on monday but my thought is that peanut oil is going to look exactly like vegetable oil is going to look like canola oil ect... on an FT-IR.  You are going to need a GC-MS to figure out exactly what it is.

ETA: If they were smart they would use soy bean or better yet avocado oil because it has a much higher smoke point than other cooking oils.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Slip 2000 works well for me.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a LA ICP MS and proprietary MATLAB codes for analysis, but no nebulizer.

How cold does crisco need to be to get to a solid state?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I haven't used carb cleaner, used brake parts cleaner though.

I'll give the crisco a try though to see if it's the same as fireclean, Bc literally a couple drops is all it takes, and it takes off carbon without effort. For the suppressed guys, I can't recommend it enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally have 20 different cleaners/Protectants/lube on my bench. And though I don't use fire clean for a lubricant, it works wonders for removing carbon. It's the only thing that can keep my Pistons clean on my suppressor, now I can easily change from one piston to another.

Ever tried brake cleaner/carb cleaner? Eating carbon is what it's designed for.

I'll give the crisco a try though to see if it's the same as fireclean, Bc literally a couple drops is all it takes, and it takes off carbon without effort. For the suppressed guys, I can't recommend it enough.

Carbon? Or powder fouling?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never used fire clean but this is very interesting stuff
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.veganbaking.net/articles/tools/fat-and-oil-melt-point-temperatures

There's you answer, however I don't think the ICP-MS is going to be any more conclusive than the FT-IR because all oils are going to look about the same from an elemental analysis standpoint.  I want to shoot it on a GC-MS to determine what the constituent compounds are.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Mobil 28 has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Break Free CLP, worked for me when i was issued it, works for me now too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I use sent clp and super lube grease.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#18]
So now we just need to know what Froglube is.

EDIT - It's food manufacturing conveyor belt grease.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I like ghee as a lube

When I shoot it smells great
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally have 20 different cleaners/Protectants/lube on my bench. And though I don't use fire clean for a lubricant, it works wonders for removing carbon. It's the only thing that can keep my Pistons clean on my suppressor, now I can easily change from one piston to another.

The couple of times I used FC on my AR's, it took fouling (inside the upper, towards the rear, upper parts of mags and followers and around the muzzle) off right away; carbon around the bolt took a few minutes to soak.  It turned the baked on stuff into hard jelly that wiped off pretty cleanly.  Qtip in the barrel extension was good, but I use Tapco stars for that now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The couple of times I used FC on my AR's, it took fouling (inside the upper, towards the rear, upper parts of mags and followers and around the muzzle) off right away; carbon around the bolt took a few minutes to soak.  It turned the baked on stuff into hard jelly that wiped off pretty cleanly.  Qtip in the barrel extension was good, but I use Tapco stars for that now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stuff on the tail end of the bolt or the bolt lugs and face?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#26]
meh, I've used slip 2000 ewl for years. it's amazing stuff. bolt still wet on my AR after 100 rounds. (not rapid fired), but still.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Would plaine ole motor oil be considered a CLP or just a lubricant?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Eros Bodyglide. Good enough for anal, good enough for my hi point .25 acp fotay with beamz and hollow pointz.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would plaine ole motor oil be considered a CLP or just a lubricant?
View Quote

Just a lube, but it does contain some detergents, so it might work okay as a cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Andrew is incorrect.

Canola oil is made from rape.

The good kind of rape.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Eros Bodyglide. Good enough for anal, good enough for my hi point .25 acp fotay with beamz and hollow pointz.
View Quote

Yeager approved.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Andrew is incorrect.

Canola oil is made from rape.

The good kind of rape.
View Quote

That's a lube opportunity - Rape, Murder, Arson, and Rape. Call it Blazing Saddles, a mixture of 2 parts canola oil, 1 part kerosene, but I'm stuck for 'murder.'
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I have used FireClean recently for basic cleaning and lube of my carry gun ( Glock 19) and also in my AR. I can't say it worked any better or worse than regular old CLP as far as cleaning goes. I did notice it getting "gummy" after a while in my Glock ( carried daily, shot a bit between cleanings).

In the past I have used motor oil, ATF, generic wheel bearing grease, FP-10, CLP, Hoppes, Shooters Choice, etc... for general cleaning, almost any oil is a suitable solvent. Leading or copper require something more. Lubrication wise, I think fresh FireClean is probably about as good as anything else I've used. After seeing it gum up in my carry gun, I probably wont bother buying another bottle. I have a few large bottles of good old fashioned CLP that will last me a long time... but I get the urge to try "the new hotness" every so often... I guess I'm a sucker.

I do want to try the Slip 2000 EWL... it seems to get near universal rave reviews.

I think Andrew generally has some pretty good thoughts on things, and tries to give folks a fair shake on his blog. I don't think he has an agenda. If you read his previous blog post, it seems he was defending FireClean.

I am aware of his tarnished reputation here, and that whole situation seemed very strange, and at odds with his straight forward style.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

George Fennell.. There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  That article mentions that he's had bad things to say about FP-10, funny cuz he was supposed to have invented it and sure did think it was the best thing since mother's milk on his old FP-10 forum.  He was a nice guy back then but certainly not shy with his opinions.  He was a good part of the anti-militec movement back in the day, he does seem to enjoy taking the piss out of competitors, but he was right about militec in my experience, and I've got fifteen year old guns with a lot of rounds through 'em that have had a steady diet of FP-10 that look better than they should IMO.
View Quote

I've used FP-10 for quite a while.  Works well.  But I should come clean and admit that I use it mostly because I like how it smells.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, Gun Oil Sex Lube is actually a thing in England. I came across that looking up Snake Oil gun lube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Honestly, I never heard of Fire Clean until I read this thread...
View Quote
Neither had I

Arfcom doesn't have any grad students with access to a GC Mass spec?  

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A shame the author of that blog stepped on his dick in the EE.  He was a decent poster here.

I remember when the extent of his gun testing expertise was beating on a Larue FUG with a hammer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#41]
i dunno but i'm curious as fuck. i'm going to go unscrew the FS off my SGL21 and dunk it in vegtable oil I'll post my results tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Crisco shortening is a solid at room temp.

Crisco canola oil!?

Google says minus 10 C for canola oil
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
FC has been pushed pretty hard in certain circles by various tactical celebrities with all kinds of statements about its awesome powers.

The primary one I've heard has been that it doesn't let carbon cake on and wipes off easily...but I'm willing to bet most oil type lubricants will do the same if used sensibly. I've always generously lubricated my guns and I don't get a lot of carbon buildup. On an AR if my bolt and carrier aren't shiny I usually re-lube. It usually wipes down fairly easily with carbon buildup only happening on the tail of the bolt.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a whole bunch of lubes put through some sophisticated instruments. I bet a lot of them would look a hell of a lot like various other lubrication products on the market that can be had much less expensively...but perhaps with some additives useful for preventing corrosion or detergents for easier cleanup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither had I

FC has been pushed pretty hard in certain circles by various tactical celebrities with all kinds of statements about its awesome powers.

The primary one I've heard has been that it doesn't let carbon cake on and wipes off easily...but I'm willing to bet most oil type lubricants will do the same if used sensibly. I've always generously lubricated my guns and I don't get a lot of carbon buildup. On an AR if my bolt and carrier aren't shiny I usually re-lube. It usually wipes down fairly easily with carbon buildup only happening on the tail of the bolt.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a whole bunch of lubes put through some sophisticated instruments. I bet a lot of them would look a hell of a lot like various other lubrication products on the market that can be had much less expensively...but perhaps with some additives useful for preventing corrosion or detergents for easier cleanup.
No doubt.  

Kinda like the pool store.  

They sell bleach for twice or more what you could get at wal mart.  But they don't call,it bleach

Alkalinity up is baking soda.  They even list ingredient as sodium hydrogen carbonate, which is correct, but many people recognize the other Chemical name, sodium bicarbonate, so they don't use that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:but the most important thing it can do is be in the right place when it's needed.

Most popular lubes kind of suck at that, IMO.
View Quote

Some seem good at full-auto torture tests, but don't last more than a few weeks without drying out. It's a shame weapons lubes often don't see proper test routines.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I use mobil one for gun oil

My MAC10 would kick the ass of all the normal gun oils as it heated up

but mobil one kept it running
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That's where I think greases may be a better solution for most. Most people are not firing 1,000 rounds through their weapon in a day. (You can't fire that many rounds through an AR full-auto continuously without cook offs and other unpleasantness) The gun is inactive more than it's active and liquid lubes migrate elsewhere due to gravity. A grease that will stay in place with some corrosion resistant properties and an excellent ability to encapsulate particles so they don't become points of friction would likely serve most people's purposes better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:but the most important thing it can do is be in the right place when it's needed.

Most popular lubes kind of suck at that, IMO.

Some seem good at full-auto torture tests, but don't last more than a few weeks without drying out. It's a shame weapons lubes often don't see proper test routines.

That's where I think greases may be a better solution for most. Most people are not firing 1,000 rounds through their weapon in a day. (You can't fire that many rounds through an AR full-auto continuously without cook offs and other unpleasantness) The gun is inactive more than it's active and liquid lubes migrate elsewhere due to gravity. A grease that will stay in place with some corrosion resistant properties and an excellent ability to encapsulate particles so they don't become points of friction would likely serve most people's purposes better.
When I used to shoot clay target competitions, we might put 300 a day through a gun x 2 days

We used grease and light spray on for exterior.

Internals got grease

Over and under or semi auto. I used both at different times.

But I always shot in hot temps
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither had I

thats because tjays where carbon forms on an ar-15. the bolt tail, the read of the carrier and right at the muzzle where the FS meets the muzzle. on an AK its the FS area, the gas piston face and inside the gas block.

what most people call carbon fouling, isn't carbon. its burnt powder. Carbon forms from high heat and pressure from burned powder. example. on an AK the gas piston face will be coated in carbon. this is a high heat and pressure zone in the gas system. however behind the head of the gas piston on the stem powder fouling builds up. this is a low pressure lower heat area of the gas system. powder fouling is soft and sooty. carbon fouling is very hard in comparison.

fyi the FS has been soaking for 15 minutes in canola oil. I can tell you this: its doing jack shit to the carbon inside the FS.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top