Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/26/2015 5:59:26 PM EDT
I sell a bit of stuff on Craigslist.

I regularly get the emails from guys about wanting to send me a check, and then they'll send their 'shipping agent' over to collect the merchandise.
The way this scam works, they send a check for more than the listed amount, hard press you to 'deposit into your bank account', take their overpayment and Western Union it back to them.  They don't actually have any interest in the item, as they are hoping that the overage will be sent to them before your bank flags the payment as being bullshit and you're stuck for that draft.

A couple months ago, I decided I'd start to play along, and let these guys send me checks.  Sometimes, they overnight them.  Most of the time, it comes by Priority Mail.  Sometimes, I'll really fuck with them, and tell them I cashed the check and then send them a text of a pile of money, only to tell them I won't give it to them.  They threaten to call the cops on me and send a lawyer, or to even send a thug to come get it.

Another common theme is that the amount of these checks is often $975.  I think they must believe they need to keep it under a $1000 threshold for some legal reason.  But, some of these checks are for more.

Updated Wall of Shame

And, yes, I have them make the checks out to 'Anita Johnson'.  I might switch that to Hue G Rection later, but it's still pretty fun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You're not sending them Anus laptops?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Fun!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the MO's fake?

You should contact Postal Inspection. Especially if the MOs are fake.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the postal money orders fake ? I have only done this once and I got a legit check from a hijacked bank account .
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
PMO's are fake. Not even real ones that have been stolen.  And, the PO doesn't care.  They don't investigate, they don't even want to send someone down to collect them.  No 'damage' has been done, since I'm not out anything.

But, they do look good.  They'd fool a lot of folks that don't handle real ones regularly.

The MoneyGrams appear to be real, but I suspect they are stolen.  Some are dated current, some from a year ago.

The business checks are all forged.  I contact the companies listed on them to let them know.  Thankfully, while the bank numbers are often correct, routing numbers are not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Regardless of them being overseas, they do use pawns(people truly dumb) that are in the usa.

You're giving your home address to them?  Regardless of the fake name just not safe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're giving your home address to them?  
View Quote

Hahahah!  No.  And, the text messaging I do with them is Google Voice, and the email is also a disposable Google address.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PMO's are fake. Not even real ones that have been stolen.  And, the PO doesn't care.  They don't investigate, they don't even want to send someone down to collect them.  No 'damage' has been done, since I'm not out anything.

But, they do look good.  They'd fool a lot of folks that don't handle real ones regularly.

The MoneyGrams appear to be real, but I suspect they are stolen.  Some are dated current, some from a year ago.

The business checks are all forged.  I contact the companies listed on them to let them know.  Thankfully, while the bank numbers are often correct, routing numbers are not.
View Quote

Maybe we can archive your thread so when the "Someone wants to buy my car on Craigslist, is this a scam?" posts come up we can just link them
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it. Fuck those assholes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're not sending them Anus laptops?
View Quote

P-P-P-PowerBook!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/p-p-p-powerbook
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well played OP.  Be safe but keep wasting their time, maybe they'll find something better to do with it, like take a job as a $15/hr cash register worker.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
anita johnson
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Stokes, I can send you a Postal Money order for that upper...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I can write a check on a napkin.  Will you accept that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Now you need to find a backpage girl named Anita Johnson.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
How does one steal a moneygram money order? They aren't even printed until you pay for it. Do you stand at Walmart for days and wait for that one guy to buy a MO for the exact amount you need then club him over the head as he walks out. I'm not really understanding this scam. The personal checks I get, the money orders not so much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are the MO's fake?

You should contact Postal Inspection. Especially if the MOs are fake.
View Quote

lol

they don't give a fuck. unless you're a politician with strings to pull.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How does one steal a moneygram money order? They aren't even printed until you pay for it. Do you stand at Walmart for days and wait for that one guy to buy a MO for the exact amount you need then club him over the head as he walks out. I'm not really understanding this scam. The personal checks I get, the money orders not so much.
View Quote

you have your inside person like Chiquita-bolita-mimosa Shondell Quantrey Jackson working the counter make up some bogus ones with money that never existed and give them to you to pass off to suckers. They'll be flagged as bad by the time they're cashed but the sucker already western unioned the overage back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
What is their story on western union wiring the money back? How do they sell that to the mark? That's where the whole thing is fishy, even to someone who isn't very bright.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
So anytime you get a moneygram you should call the 800 number on the back and verify it's kosher before cashing? I always just take it to the local convenient store and cash them. They never even give them a second look or ask for ID.

Hey that gives me an idea actually.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is their story on western union wiring the money back? How do they sell that to the mark? That's where the whole thing is fishy, even to someone who isn't very bright.  
View Quote

This, mainly.  That's some Jedi mind-trick level stuff getting someone to do that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd guess that most of the time, the postage is paid with a stolen credit card. Names and return addresses never match.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#26]
It often starts as:

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.419eater.com

Crack open a beer and enjoy your Sunday evening...this will be right up your alley.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Area code 785 is east central KS fwiw.  Probably some jobless hippie doper in Lawrence.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Area code 785 is east central KS fwiw.  Probably some jobless hippie doper in Lawrence.
View Quote
You can get apps that will show any number you want

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A jobless hippie doper from Lawrence isn't gonna think that far ahead.  Trust me.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
About as much as I am a heroin user, but you might not catch onto that thru the projection. ;)
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I hope you have them sent to a PO Box...
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So anytime you get a moneygram you should call the 800 number on the back and verify it's kosher before cashing? I always just take it to the local convenient store and cash them. They never even give them a second look or ask for ID.

Hey that gives me an idea actually.
View Quote

Yes. Keep in mind, they only verify one was ISSUED in that amount/serial number and not that the actual cheque you possess is good for the money. It could be a forged copy. Chances are minimal but exist. If you cash it at the store, they'll take the risk. Put it in a bank and it could come back out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bump for people thinking money orders are safe.
View Quote

I'm wondering how u can tell if a Usps mo is fake
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#41]
This is one of the reasons I've been asking new clients for either Cash, or Bank Check, and we do the transaction at the bank. The money is not the risk, it's the liability I face if it doesn't clear.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's actually pretty easy to spot the small differences.  I'll try to take a close up of one today.  The biggest and easiest tell is the perforations on the top edge, where you would 'tear' off the receipt portion of the money order. On the fakes, that perforation is much coarser than on a real money order. The hologram is also wrong, and the overall quality is not as good as a real PMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, I like that you're toying with these scammers.

In Fact, I'd like to send you a check to show my appreciation.  I figure your efforts are worth at least $500.  How about I send you a check for $975.  You can then wire me $475 back.  Does that sound like a good idea?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's actually pretty easy to spot the small differences.  I'll try to take a close up of one today.  The biggest and easiest tell is the perforations on the top edge, where you would 'tear' off the receipt portion of the money order. On the fakes, that perforation is much coarser than on a real money order. The hologram is also wrong, and the overall quality is not as good as a real PMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. What would a Usps Post office do if you tried (not knowing it was fake) to cash a fake money order?  Would they call the cops on you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#46]
OP most certainly does not have the ghey.  This is all fun.  

OP  can they trace your cell number back to you?  These days you just enter the cell number in google and sometimes it kicks back
an address or some ad you may have placed online with your number.  Any add I ever make I general say my number is as such
two oh one, tree55-7sixsix8.  That will never google back to your number.

785-251-9167.  Comes back as Abilene, KS.

PS I HAD ONE OF THESE SCAMMERS SEND ME HIS ID AND DRIVERS LICENSE.  IT WAS A COPS!   OF COURSE MOST PEOPLE WILL
BELIEVE A COP IS THE MOST HONEST PERSON ON EARTH TO DEAL WITH AND WOULD END THEIR SEARCH THERE.
I CALLED THE DEPARTMENT. END OF TRANSACTION.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, while it's funny you're playing with fire. If they mail these checks you've given them your address. I hope you're willing to use your self defense skills, because you may eventually have to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I had about $75,000 in fake checks at once:

1 post wheels for sale $250 shipped

2 "how much are the wheels to being of price?"

3 $6000 USD

4 "OK I am to send check for recieve agent, you are ok to keeping a percentage for efforts"

5 toplol

most checks were REALLY bad fakes... others were pretty damn good
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top