Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 5:21:04 PM EDT
While reading and following another thread about a cracked MBUS after a drop on the floor I had remembered what my wife had gone through with finding a used car seat for our newly born grandchild. We knew we didn't want to spend a lot on a new one since it would only be used occasionally but finding one without an expired expiration date was a must.
An expiration date on a child restraint was something nobody thought of years ago but now with space age plastics, it is still  posted on all seats sold which takes me back to the MBUS sights and all the other plastics in our guns. They are left in extreme heat, extreme cold and knocked around and abused year after year yet we don't think of how brittle these can become.
Now if anyone wants to say that the plastics used in our gun parts are far more durable than the plastic used in child restraints then maybe we should be sharing the recipe to these manufacturers. DO these plastics become more brittle, weaken over age? Should it be a concern?  Discuss.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Remington Nylon 77, which is 45 years old.  Good as it ever was, though it hasn't seen as much use in the last 3 or 4 decades as it did in the 1st.

It hasn't seen a whole lot of long term exposure to the Sun, either.

At 59, I am not worried about the longevity of any quality item I purchase which has plastic parts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I know Glocks have been in use for MANY years. Maybe Graco and Eddie Bauer should look in to that plastics technology.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know Glocks have been in use for MANY years. Maybe Graco and Eddie Bauer should look in to that plastics technology.
View Quote

There are expiration dates on bottled water
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While reading and following another thread about a cracked MBUS after a drop on the floor I had remembered what my wife had gone through with finding a used car seat for our newly born grandchild. We knew we didn't want to spend a lot on a new one since it would only be used occasionally but finding one without an expired expiration date was a must.
An expiration date on a child restraint was something nobody thought of years ago but now with space age plastics, it is still  posted on all seats sold which takes me back to the MBUS sights and all the other plastics in our guns. They are left in extreme heat, extreme cold and knocked around and abused year after year yet we don't think of how brittle these can become.
Now if anyone wants to say that the plastics used in our gun parts are far more durable than the plastic used in child restraints then maybe we should be sharing the recipe to these manufacturers. DO these plastics become more brittle, weaken over age? Should it be a concern?  Discuss.
View Quote

I hate it the way people use this term.  The space age was the 1950s and 1960s...  space age technology is over 50 years old  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO yes polymers become more brittle over time exposed to weather and high heat/rapid high heat/cooling cycles. For a disposable magazine who gives a shit. By the time your pmag wets the bed you will have gotten your 10 bucks worth and thousands and thousands of rounds out of it assuming it wasn't dropped on concrete while loaded daily.

I've already broken an MBUS, so I will not be buying any again for a defensive rifle.
Stocks and pistol grips aren't exposed to much heat so no problem there for me.

For a part where I have an option between polymer and steel & aluminum, such as MBUS or Matech/KAC, I'll take the steel & aluminum every time. But as stated since mags are disposable, I don't see them as falling under this rule of thumb for me.

Just my opinion that won't change, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Discuss what?  That there are different formulas of polymers for different applications and different price structures?  I would hope everyone already understands that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Discuss.

Discuss what?  That there are different formulas of polymers for different applications and different price structures?  I would hope everyone already understands that.  

Having a bad day?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The expiration date is for the foam in the car seat, that's what a child safety seat certified firefighter told me.

As it ages, it deteriorates, and no longer performs as designed.

If plastic deteriorates that badly, I guess my 2008 Walther PPS should get put in the garbage with all those original M16s and SP01s.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The expiration date is for the foam in the car seat, that's what a child safety seat certified firefighter told me.

If plastic deteriorates that badly, I guess my 2008 Walther PPS should get put in the garbage with all those original M16s and SP01s.
View Quote

This last part doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the A1's only have plastic stocks, grips, and handguards.

Most of the original A1 stocks and handguards I come across are beat. The teeth where the triangle handguards meet are always broken off, and most of the original A1 stocks are cracked.

Is that a big deal? No. You can either find a new old set in good shape that was cared for, and take care of them, or buy reproduction plastics (who's resins are higher quality these days)
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Though the German military is very concerned about it right now, I really am not. Plastics have proven themselves.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 1995 chevy truck and the ashtrays,  glove box and small items are starting to give way.  All my AR parts seem to be holding up pretty good, even my nylon 66.  I have a landscape business and see deterioration in all my tools after about 5 years.  Have not had any problems with my 03 or garand yet. HAHA
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Im just going to say I would so totally buy a magpul car seat
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im just going to say I would so totally buy a magpul car seat
View Quote

Or be a real snob with HK on the headrest. LOL
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 1995 chevy truck and the ashtrays,  glove box and small items are starting to give way.  All my AR parts seem to be holding up pretty good, even my nylon 66.  I have a landscape business and see deterioration in all my tools after about 5 years.  Have not had any problems with my 03 or garand yet. HAHA
View Quote

UV rays are the real killers of plastic. That's why you see such deterioration in vehicles and your tools that are exposed to sunlight for extended periods of time. Most any gun or part just isn't going to see that same abuse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Having a bad day?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Discuss.

Having a bad day?

Probably not.  Stickman's correct here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This last part doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the A1's only have plastic stocks, grips, and handguards.

Most of the original A1 stocks and handguards I come across are beat. The teeth where the triangle handguards meet are always broken off, and most of the original A1 stocks are cracked.

Is that a big deal? No. You can either find a new old set in good shape that was cared for, and take care of them, or buy reproduction plastics (who's resins are higher quality these days)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The plastics used for the A1s were always kind of relatively weak.  It ptobably doesn't have a lot to do with any aging.  That's why they changed the plastics when the A2 was designed.  The A2's plastics are leaps and bounds more durable than those used with the A1.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's due to the taste that the water takes on.  Not because the bottle is going to self destruct.  Think of the date as more of a "best by" whatever date.  You can safely drink the water long after the date on the bottle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Discuss.

Having a bad day?

He is correct, but sort of missed my point and chose to try to end my thread with his arrogance, and I know that comes with post count and popularity with most on here. Anyway this is a discussion forum and I got that out of this thread regardless. Have a good day and Happy 4th!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kid seats only need to last a few years. Why make the product more expensive?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is that people sell them used on Craigslist and yard sales and getting used longer than intended, some in auto accidents which poses more risk.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#21]
My plastic credit cards have an expiration date on them...

I don't worry about plastics, the first generation Glocks are running just fine.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a topic for GD.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#24]
My Police trade in Glock was made in the early 90s and it still runs like a champ

Receiver looks the same as the day I bought it.

Free
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
... as long as you don't torture them by constantly leaving them on dashboards, etc. to be embrittled, faded, and just plain destroyed by UV light.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway this is a discussion forum and I got that out of this thread regardless.  
... as long as you don't torture them by constantly leaving them on dashboards, etc. to be embrittled, faded, and just plain destroyed by UV light.  

Well you did get an idea what I was talking about. You are saying that they can be damaged by the elements and there are weapons left in trunks and passenger compartment where they are subject to sun and heat. I'm just trying to get an idea on some peoples thought on this. Sorry if wasn't as straight forward as I could have been.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't trust plastic iron sights, nor are they nearly as compact and easy to dial as metallic sights.

The minor weight savings is not good enough to justify using a big over-sized component because plastic has to be made stupid large and thick in order to equal the strength of metal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Problem is that people sell them used on Craigslist and yard sales and getting used longer than intended, some in auto accidents which poses more risk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why they have expiration dates.

Are people willing to pay more so that the 3rd owner who buys it in a yard sale gets more use out of it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#30]
My 23 year old Glock 23 has somehow managed to survive.

I have a Honda lawnmower with a plastic deck
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a couple old camaros and an 85 Corvette. Now those could have used a Glock interior.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I know there have been a number of multi-decade Glock wring-outs, where writers have kept track of the round counts into the hundreds of thousands (replacing some small parts and springs), left them in salt water for months, buried them, etc

But I think what would've been an interesting test would be to have a dewatt Glock frame and put it up some high window in somewhere that gets constant sun and see how it holds up to decades of UV wear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know there have been a number of multi-decade Glock wring-outs, where writers have kept track of the round counts into the hundreds of thousands (replacing some small parts and springs), left them in salt water for months, buried them, etc

But I think what would've been an interesting test would be to have a dewatt Glock frame and put it up some high window in somewhere that gets constant sun and see how it holds up to decades of UV wear.
View Quote

Since glass filters out most UV, it would need to be in direct sunlight.

The modern "engineering" type glass reinforced plastics are both harder and stronger then the older types.
Where a metal part will bend or break, a plastic part will often flex and return to usable shape.
Plus, plastic won't rust, which in a back up sight for an AR would be a real advantage where maintenance of things like back up sights is often missed.

As above, using the best material for the job is the critical decision.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#34]
We use UV additives quite a bit for companies whose products will spend a lot of time ouy in the sun. A lot of companies probably don't use UV because once you start adding more and more additives the costs goes up.it can also affect surface appearance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top