Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2001 8:15:25 AM EDT
I was wondering what you guys think is the best AR type rifle in .308win?  I'm looking for accuracy, reliability, ease of maintainance, and reasonably priced components and accessories.  

I've heard that the Knights SR-25 is great on accuracy, but is not 100% reliable and is quite spendy on parts.  I've also heard that the Armalite AR10T is quite reliable, but lacks in the accuracy department unless you invest in aftermarket parts.

Any others that you might recommend?  This could also include other .308 battle rifles such as H&K's, FAL's, M1A's, Etc..  Thanks!

-Red-
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
redhook, As far as ARs go, Armalite is really the way to go. I haven`t heard about many accuracy problems other than the occaisonal problem child. My Armalites probably have more accuracy potential than I do. Besides,Armalite stands behind their product 100%.  Just my .02 Bob
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Redhook: You can get the best of both worlds buy building a rifle with a Eagle Arms lower and  a GSE or  JP upper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
ArmaLite's the only way to go.  The Knight is nice but not as good.

The Hesse I've seen is really poor quality and it won't take FAL mags like I heard at first.  I've seen one ASA and they're trying to copy ArmaLite but have cheaped out.  No forgings are used at all. I really want a rifle made by Bob.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If you buy anything but an Armalite AR10 you will waste your money. If it has accuracy problems send it back and Armalite will make it right. My AR10A4 shoots 1 inch groups at 100yds no matter what I run thru it. JOIN THE NRA!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Double ditto on the Armalite.  I would take the advice on build your own lower (use Jewell trigger) and get a GSE match upper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot the GSE upper and don't see any advantage over the stock ArmaLite upper.  They do good work though.  I guess I just like a factory original.

Ditto on joining the NRA!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
ArmaLite is the only way to go for the reasons stated above. The AR10T 24" barrel will shoot
.5 moa or better, I watched the guy do it at the
Hernando Sportsman's Club Gun Range.
Service is fantastic compared to what I have received from outher mfgs over the years. When
you call a real person answers the phone and
they connect you to the right person the first
time. You don't have to explain your problem
to 6 people if you know what I mean and I think you do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Reason why  not to go with Knights SR25, I have heard they are a bit strange when it comes to customer service.  They aren't just slow but they also require wierd deposits before they'll work on one of their own guns.

Armalite Lifetime Warranty is a no hassle and no bullshit policy.

AR10T or SR25, I feel you're getting pretty much the same rifle in accuracy capability.  Reliability wise, they've both had a problem or two that can be tracked down to things like loosely staked gas keys or something where somebody assembling the rifle had a brain fart and didn't do something quite right.  Cost wise, Armalite is the bargin and has a plethora of mags available even though you've got to worry about the conversion stuff.   Lastly, want an Armalite right now?  You can run out and get a brand new one from multiple sources, if you want a new SR25 you've either got to wait several months for Knight's to finally get to your order after they've fullfilled military contracts or you've got to "luck out" and find a rifle out there in the condition you're looking for and willing to pay for.

AR10 is a wonderful gun, can't wait to start getting custom uppers for my A4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top