Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 1:47:04 PM EDT
My trusty old 4516 failed a few weeks ago.  I could probably have fixed it myself, but decided to outsource the repair.  

I decided to send it to S&W.  I thought S&W may charge me a few bucks more than a local shop, but those S&W guys should know what they're doing.  

- Around 11am, I called the toll-free number (800-331-0852).  I was nice, and told the guy that my beloved pistol stopped working, that I thought the extractor was broken, and that I wanted to send it in for repair.  I NEVER mentioned the word "warranty".   He immediately sent me an email with a prepaid Fedex 2nd day shipping label (to "SAW" in Massachusetts).  

- About 2pm that afternoon, I dropped it off at a local Fedex place.  

- About two weeks later, I received email notification that S&W was sending me a package.  It was my 4516.  S&W replaced the "ejector" and the "recoil rod spring".  

The repair didn't cost me one dime.  

Another reason I like love these S&W third generation pistols.  

My 4516 is one of my favorite pistols.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W does that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they are still offering trigger work and such on them, I've been tempted to send my 915 in just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
They're good people. Best friend had a whole cylinder replaced by them on his 625, and he wasn't the original owner. Fun had also had some serious work done to it as a competition gun.

Didn't cost him a dime.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're good people. Best friend had a whole cylinder replaced by them on his 625, and he wasn't the original owner. Fun had also had some serious work done to it as a competition gun.

Didn't cost him a dime.
View Quote

They replaced the cylinder on my model 10 that was a police trade in I bought for $250.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that is good old American Customer Service !!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have four of them.  One is my EDC.  Very nice to hear this.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
At the height of the last panic, a co-worker had an issue with her S&W M&P-15. She called S&W, got a pre-paid shipping label and had it back within 10 or so days. Impressive!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W gets it.
Sounds like they made a customer for life.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The best handguns made in the 20th century.  I can't speak to the new stuff, but a S&W revolver from the "old days" is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have a 2nd Generation S&W and are unaware, there was a recall for the decocker and hammer getting hung up in the firing mode.

A simple touch of the slide would release the hammer and bang.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
thats how it should be done. good to hear co.'s still standing behind their products.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W is a solid company.  They fixed my gun and I didn't even contact them.  They contacted me when I was bitching about my gun here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Had warranty work done by them twice when I did not even ask for it on 2nd and 3rd Gen pistols I sent them for  repair. Minor stuff on high round count guns, but still appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I removed the grips from my 5906 and they shattered in to 20 pcs.  Smith & Wesson sold me a replacement grip for $20.00 plus shipping.
I asked about the recall on old gen 3 service weapopns and the guy (Who claimed to be working for the company 30 years) said "What recall?"

OP is cooler than me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, you do bitch kind of loud.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W is a solid company.  They fixed my gun and I didn't even contact them.  They contacted me when I was bitching about my gun here on arfcom.

Well, you do bitch kind of loud.  

Oh I can, for sure.  No doubt about it.  

But in this case, it was mild.  Not a 15 page rant.  Can't recall the details, but it was in GD, and I might have started a thread complaining that my stainless steel slide was rusting.  Got an IM from a S&W rep and they sent me a brand new one.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The best handguns made in the 20th century.  I can't speak to the new stuff, but a S&W revolver from the "old days" is the gold standard.
View Quote

So true.  

The only reason they aren't expensive: they made so many of them.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had warranty work done by them twice when I did not even ask for it on 2nd and 3rd Gen pistols I sent them for  repair. Minor stuff on high round count guns, but still appreciated.
View Quote

I think some of the old timers there just like the opportunity to work on the older guns and do freebies just so they can.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The real question is did you get a Gen 2 or Gen 3 mag?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Smith and Wesson has model customer service and technical support.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.  I didn't try that trick: sending it in without a mag.  Maybe that's why they did the repair for free.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL.  I didn't try that trick: sending it in without a mag.  Maybe that's why they did the repair for free.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1727546_Beware_Smith_and_Wesson_Model_15_TS.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top