Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2001 6:32:44 AM EDT
To give you a little background I have been around Shotguns and .22s my whole life.  I currently hunt pheasant with my Browning Auto 5.

I have recently gotten my pistol permit and joined the local indoor/outdoor range.  Now that I have this large capcity permit I can buy whatever I want.

My primary purpose for this rifle will be target shooting and plinking since I don't hunt deer (rifles for deer are illegal in Mass. anyway).  I think it would be fun to get either a nice accurate .223 rifle with a scope or a nice AR15 clone.

Besides looking great and being easily customized what are some of the advantages over a Savage bolt action .223 rifle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Good morning....I have to reply to this since I traded a Savage bolt gun in .223 for an AR.
I love to change parts--ruger 10\22 with 400 dollars in add-ons-so-- the savage became less exciting after I mastered shooting the thing.
Amd my biggest fuss about the savage--capacity--
5 rounds and then reload,5 rounds and then reload. I love the magazine capacity and the ease of changing magazines...side note sometimes
the cheap mags won't come out--right DTHOR.
Get an AR and if you don't love it, sell it.
But you will---and you will start buying all kinds of stuff, especially mags

Editet bkase I kant sbell
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Just in case you haven't seen it anywhere on AR15.com (how could that be possible???), there is a Limited Edition Group Purchase of an AR15 rifle manufactured by Rock River Arms for $660.
Not a bad way to get into it...

www.castle-arms.com
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Does a savage bolt gun look like this?
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1277466&a=9460188&p=46336264&Sequence=0[/img]

By they way I also have bolt action rifles...
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have to ask .....

Then, yes, you do.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 I think it would be fun to get either a nice accurate .223 rifle with a scope or a nice AR15 clone.

View Quote

Just a bit of info,

An AR-15 is a "nice accurate .223 rifle" unless we're comparing it to a benchrest rifle.

A MATCH grade AR can shoot as well as *some* bolt action rifles.

The way I see it, the AR is an accurate rifle.
Thats my story and i'm sticking to it [For those who say "you don't need one of those", Yes - I do!].
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course you want an AR15, what is wrong with you anyway [;)][;)]

Kuiper
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the AR-15.Its accurate.

If you want to go crazy about accuracy get a ar with  a custom barrel, free-float handguards,HArris bipod,good quality scope{Leupold ,US optics}.....ect.

It will do about anything a vannilla bolt action savage will do and a whole lot more
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, indeed.  E-mail and let's talk.

F.
8-)
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I also shoot sporting clays, pistols and started with a .22.  All mostly hunting rifles, which I think are beautiful.  I got involved with AR-15's back in '94 (I ended up buying two because it was unclear if they were going to be available anymore).  They are ugly guns (well at least the beauty is an aquired taste sometimes, at least it was for me.  I never even shot them for years.  Recently I got one out and decided to plink with it and it is just amazing the low recoil and accuracy of these things.  I do hunt deer (but not with .223).  The .223's are fun low recoil target rifles.  

And after you get past the ugly part they are pretty nice to shoot.  If you wiegh them down like a service rifle (Bushmaster makes a nice off the shelf one of these), the thing kicks less than your .22 and is accurate out to 600 meters (arguably)  Ammo is cheap and you can shoot 5 rounds or 100 from the same gun without reloading.  

If the rifle is mostly for fun.  The AR's are a lot of fun compared to a bolt action.  There are lots of different uppers and add ons.... bipolds lasers scopes etc.  So one of these should keep you busy for awhile.  Personally I think you should buy both the bolt action and the AR but the AR is just all around a lot more fun.  

Actually, maybe you better not buy one or you may soon find your gunsafe with about 10 (like I now have).  Watch out, they can be habit forming. [smoke]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course you do! Life is not complete without one.

AR15 and Savage Bolt gun is like comparing an Assualt Weapon to a Sniper Rifle.

Accuracy: Savage hands down.
Fire Power: AR15
Accessories: AR15
Looks: AR15
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
?do I want an AR15?   Answer YES!!!!!!!   [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Every one wants one. Only a select few are privilaged enough to have one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Heck yeah get an AR.  I waited 35 years to get one.  Now I want at least one more, but they are like Lay's potato chips.  Can't have just one.  LOL!!!

[b]My black rifle with ATN 5X33L optics.[/b]
[img]blackrifle.tripod.com/ARwScope.jpg[/img]

Oh and the ATN scope is awesome.  The bullet drop compensator and range finding reticle really work.  At least out to 300yds.  Thats as far as I've shot with it, as that is the furthest range(target stands) at the range I shoot at.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If I ever run for public office - my campaign slogan will be:

" An AR in every lawful household and no more federal income tax or IRS!  National concealed carry for all lawful citizens as per the 2nd Amendment!!"

Can you imagine what would happen to the crime rate and the economy?

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
What, you went and wasted your money on a Glock?

What, you didn't believe me?

They're more addictive, well almost, than boxes of Havanas...LoL!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Of course you want an AR-15.  Everyone wants an AR-15.  Heck, I bet Ted Kennedy wants an AR, he's just afraid to admit it.

mattjedi[x]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell, JFK owned one of the very first M16s!  Post this thread over at CF, and see how fast you want to buy one, just to piss 'em off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top