Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2001 2:12:38 AM EDT
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010423/us/columbine_violent_media_1.html[/url]

snip...

Columbine Victims File $5B Suit

By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) - The families of several victims in the Columbine massacre have filed a lawsuit against companies that create violent video games and sex-oriented Web sites, claiming their products influenced the gunmen.
View Quote

This should come as no surprise to anyone.

Though the $$$$ amount is more than I could have imagined.

Suits are to be directed mainly at the video game industry and Hollywood.  Not sure if High Point and Intratec are to be included in the lawsuit.

Ok- Looks like the gun manufacturers aren't included in this particular lawsuit.  Not yet at least.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Has to be somebody elses fault.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has to be somebody elses fault.
View Quote

In a nutshell:

Companies named in the lawsuit include Nintendo (news - web sites) of America, Sega of America, Sony Computer Entertainment and Time Warner Inc., which is now AOL Time Warner, and ID Software Inc. and GT Interactive Software Corp., creators and publishers of the game ``Doom.''

At least that's who the lawsuit names as defendants.

Hey!  They forgot to mention "Duke Nuke'em" and the famous Running With Scissors game "Postal".

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
well at least they arent going after the gun industry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
well at least they arent going after the gun industry.
View Quote

Good thing too.

Worst case scenario:

I don't think the gun industry revenues total 5 billion in ten years!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
It's about frikkin' time.

Let the rest of America start to scream about how it's not the object, but the misuse of that object.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The parents can't understand that they produced flawed children and have to blame someone else for their polluted genes.

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi, I'm a columbine parent.  My child was tragically killed by a couple of psychos.  Now because I'm a fat lazy bastard who doesn't want to work, I think I'll sue people who make video games.  

That way I'll get lots of money, and my lazy ass won't have to work anymore.  I will be able to just sit at home and watch my butt grow as I sit on the couch watching rosie and eating obscene amounts of fast food, and chocolate.

I don't care that these companies had nothing to do with the death of my child, all I care about is that I'M GOING TO BE RICH!!!!  Lets see, to make the grief go away I better call the Porsche dealer, my realtor so he can start looking for any $5 mil houses that are for sale, my travel agent since I have always wanted to travel Europe...
--------------------------
I feel bad that these people lost their kids, but give me a f'ing break.  They just want a payoff because they are too lazy to work, and it doesn't matter what happens to anyone else as long as they get paid.  Too bad they weren't overcome with grief, and killed themselves like that one lady did...

(edited because I can't spell)
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
HKer, right on the money, bro.

They forgot to sue Burlington Coat Factory. Clearly they are also partially responsible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my Harley riding buddies son was a victim of the Columbine shooting.  The boy in now paralyzed from the waist down.  

Both he and his dad have been on National TV several times, and both have spoken out against using the incident as a rallying point for more worthless "gun control laws".

I have to say I'm proud to know that there are some that walk it like they talk it even after falling victim to a tragedy.  After the shooting my buddy, quit his job and moved his new family to be closer to his son that was living with his previous wife.  

I couldn't blame them if they joined this suit, because they are just regular folks whose lifes were upturned, but knowing them I doubt they are parties to this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone deserves to be sued it`s the people holding the leash on the cops drinking coffe outside waiting, while the killing went on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]
let me ask a question since i'm not as bright as everyone else is here, what video games, movies, or violent misic did hitler or stalin play or listen to? none, but lets not confuse the facts with feelings. it is called parental responsibility!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
These are the parents of the VICTIMS, not the shooters.  The parents who are fat, lazy, etc are the parents of the shooters.  Why is everybody slamming the parents of the victims?  Also, if you will notice, some of the companies being sued are anti-gun.  I say, sic em!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#13]
somebody here at work (oops) was telling me that one person died because of blood loss after waiting for LEOs to get to him.  Said he was waiting almost 2 hours or somthing for the swat team to make it to them.  The Swat policy was to clear each room before proceding...too bad they started on the complet opposite end of the school.  Seems to me you go to where the shooting is to end the incident quickly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Isnt THAT who they should sue....????

The parents that had NO clue their kids were making bombs in the 'family' garage?????

And what would class action be without an entire class...????

Rosie, Sarah (Collect from her estate) and the rest of the Kommies that have made our children spend DAYS on end in Gun free target zones....

Nintendo and the sort are at worst, unknowing accomplices twice removed. Again, the catch phrase needs to be 'Personal Responsibility'. While these same parents claim soverign victim status, they too allowed their kids schools to become 'Gun Free target zones'....

It takes a village.....idiot to see target zones are ridiculous....

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I have it on good authority that each of the shooters were wearing Fruit-of-the-looms. I didn't see that company named as part of the lawsuit, however.

This suit is bad for gun owners because if it is carried through, it becomes case law (a precedent if you will) that says it is okay to blame the manufacturers of inanimate objects for society's problems.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Of course the after the fact law practicioners are into the act.....i say, should they be awarded a settlement, payment should be ruled to come from ALL news network profits!..NOT taxpayers pockets.........[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely ridicolous...going to blame everything else so we can get money.  You know it's awful funny how a large amount of money can make people feel better about losing their loved one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]
[left]the problem in columbine high school is the all the ANTI's and clinton uses this has there[b]TOOL[/b] for more gun control. Its sad to say that all the gun control in the world won't stop someone from killing another. but an  agenda for them is worth a million bucks. Hey iam all for some gun control NCICS(whatevertheycallit) to me is NOT a bad thing!
but totally banning weapons because of what they are is down right dumb. this is what
this country was founded on. i personally think banning importing parts was the dumbest thing
ive seen. they want to jack up prices so bad that a regular joe cannot afford them. how am
i suppose to replace my barrel of my AK47. i would like original parts but now it looks like i have to lathe one out myself. has for these kids id really crack down on them hard. but
hey what do i know iam not has smart has a polititian.[/left]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I say sue the parents of the shooters...   It is their fault.  Millions other can play video games and still function normally....  
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#20]
This is no different from suing tobacco companies for making their products accessible to minors.  The same barbra streisand makes these law suits possible.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
let me ask a question since i'm not as bright as everyone else is here, what video games, movies, or violent misic did hitler or stalin play or listen to? none, but lets not confuse the facts with feelings. it is called parental responsibility!
View Quote

It's difficult to argue with that. Although, for all we know the aformentioned dirtbags had good parents.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#23]
ISN'T IT IRONIC, AOL/TIME WARNER IS ALSO ANTI-GUN!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Columbine Families Demand $5,000,000,000.00
View Quote

That's a lot.
Who's their frickin' lawyer? Dr. Evil?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lets see, to make the grief go away I better call the Porsche dealer, my realtor so he can start looking for any $5 mil houses that are for sale, my travel agent since I have always wanted to travel Europe...

(edited because I can't spell)
View Quote

I guess some people grieve differently.

That's what those Menendez brothers apparently did.  

Soon after they scatter gunned their parents, they bought Rolex watches and a Porsche.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HKer, right on the money, bro.

They forgot to sue Burlington Coat Factory. Clearly they are also partially responsible.
View Quote

LOL- but it's no laughing matter.

Well, since it's gone that far....

What material did the trenchcoats consist of?

Nylon wholesalers and cotton producers can be added to the lawsuit.  YKK zipper producers as well.  Or was it a button down trenchcoat?  Unless there was a "straw" trenchcoat buyer.

Along with the salesperson at Burlington Coat Factory who [i]should have known[/i] that these kids were up to no good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Obviously lot's of $$$$ is needed to care for the victims who will have a lifetime of mounting medical bills.

Just couldn't imagine $5,000,000,000.00 worth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in the Metro Denver area and I'm so sick of hearing about the Columbine families! They just received a 2.5 million settlement from the families of the shooters (homeowners insurance paid). They are sueing the school, the police department, the 3 counties that had their deputies respond and they even wanted to sue the state. In the end where does the city, counties and state get the money... from the taxpayers! Now they want everyone to pay them. I feel sorry for the kids that survived and are permanetly disabled because they deserve some money from the killers parents, but the families that lost their kids don't need any more cash! Right now there are public funds that have been set up for the kids from all of the local people and corporations donating to the victims but the families want more.
Moral of the story here is that the families want everybody in Colorado to pay them and now they want everybody in the US to pay them and they are going after some big money makers who will have to raise prices and you and I will pay in the end!
Sorry for your loss Columbine families, but you can FUCK OFF because you won't get a dime from me!
Sorry for the rant but this stuff is on the T.V. and in the newspaper every night and it makes me sick.
It is sad that a person's child getting killed or wounded equals a big payday for the parents.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, 5 billion? Well, they could certainly buy their kids the most fashionable bulletproof clothing available, and perhaps even arm them with discreet 007 type guns so that they would feel secure if a couple of other dickweeds decided they were having a real bad hair day
[:)]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Gee, and here I was thinking it was the 2 guys behind the trigger who were at fault.

Others could have done somethings differently, this is, and will be always, true.  But it's the gunmans 100% complete and total fault for his actions, period.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sorry for the rant but this stuff is on the T.V. and in the newspaper every night and it makes me sick.
View Quote

You forgot to mention on AR15.com too!!!!

I take responsibility for that one.

Nice rant!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#32]
They should add the parents of the shooters for spanking them when they were children, most all cartoon animators, the movie industry, all tv stations, the NFL, XFL, and NHL. Schools themselves for teaching war history and throw in most all Religions also because the bible contains and talks about some violent stuff also.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I have to say that without the advice and assistance of a lawyer, crap like this would never see the light of day!

People using their common sense would just say 'It's a tragedy' and get on with their lives.

With a lawyer, however, someone or something has to be sued.  There's no such thing as an unpreventable tragedy, someone's at fault and they simply must be sued.

It's called 'full employment for lawyers.'

A town too small to support ONE lawyer can always support TWO![:D]

If contingency fee agreements were limited to those cases where the plaintiffs truly could not afford the ordinary hourly rates of legal representation, crap like this would tend to go away. In a contingency fee arrangement, the lawyer is paid only if the case if won and the judgment is actually collected.

Pay the lawyer's hourly rate and then ask him if he believes that the case has merit and what the chances of success might be. If he/she is honest, you'll get a totally different answer from that given by an attorney on a contingency contract.

I know that there are some exceptions to this, but I believe that the exceptions would be cases we'd all agree should be handled on a contingency basis.

Hey, all this from a lawyer!  Remember me when the Revolution comes - I want amnesty!

Eric The Hun Esq.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I am going to sue Adam Eve for taking a bite of that apple, thereby making me, and my children suffer in the world outside of Eden.  God also has a hand in this for allowing snakes in the garden-he will be sued.  The devil has also been named, as an accessory and for causing mental anguish and unlawful temtation.  I an suing for all the money ever produced because if Adam and/or Eve had not been negilgent, we would not have had any use for money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Eric the Hun, I am a lawyer and I believe you have libeled my profession and myself personally.  That knock on your door is my process server.  I am suing you.

See ya in court, buddy! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, while they're at it, they should demand a new S.W.A.T. team for the Littleton Colorado area.

They've turned tactical response in to a spectator sport.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Contra21 and Maxwell are right.  It's the goddam parents that screwed up their kids brains.  Either by not raising them or letting them look and act the way they did.  I have a 12yr old son and know how "easy" it would be to let him do what he wants to do.  He knows right from wrong and is VERY good with guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#38]
LMFAO@ M4.....I think we HAVE found something to agree on!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top