Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2001 3:03:29 AM EDT

I have had several job offers for considerably more than I am currently making. Most likely near Sarasota.

The logistics would be tremendous but I'd be a complete fool if I didn't at least look into the possibilities.

Want to know what the Gun ranges are like.
I would be leaving mine here at the house and that would be the only thing here that I'd miss. Except for a few very close friends.

What is the House market like? I hear the area is growing like mad.

Are there many AR shooters in the area.
I might be coming down for an interview in the near future maybe we could meet up.

Looking into all the aspects.
Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Delmarksman
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have had several job offers for considerably more than I am currently making. Most likely near Sarasota.
The logistics would be tremendous but I'd be a complete fool if I didn't at least look into the possibilities.
Want to know what the Gun ranges are like.
I would be leaving mine here at the house and that would be the only thing here that I'd miss. Except for a few very close friends.
What is the House market like? I hear the area is growing like mad.
I might be coming down for an interview in the near future maybe we could meet up.
Looking into all the aspects.
Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Delmarksman
View Quote

Sarasota County has a new 600 yd. range but it
has no pits. Bring your ATV or a Dirt bike.
Lots of AR and Class III shooters.
Great beachs and the water has that Caribbian
green color. Excellent fishing.
One of the first things you learn when you move
to Florida is how much people miss you now that you are gone and they can't wait too see you again.
Sarasota is one of the better areas to live in
and is 1st. in the State for median income and
has the ammenities that you would expect to find. No State income tax and they are talking
about getting rid of the intangable taxs, stocks
and bonds etc..
No State income tax.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#2]
So your thinking of leaving your home on the range? Thinking of urban living? Money is a powerful motivator. I dont envy your decision. I`m trying to do the opposite. Leaving the city for rural surroundings. I`m willing to take a cut in pay to do so.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey,I live in orlando,and I heard the "Orlando Rifle and Pistol Club" is great.I Have not checked it out yet,but it supposedly has a huge outdoor range,with multiple stages and whatnot.Anybody know of this place?
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Delmarksman,

Knight's Trail just south of Sarasota is a 100 yd range with strict firing rules. East of Bradenton there is a 600 yd range that is very Class III and 'fun' shooting friendly.

What HANGFIRE said is very much true. If you purchase a home, try to get one with a well/sprinkler system. Saves $$$$ during the dry season.

I live and was raised in Bradenton, just north of Sarasota. The area is expanding rapidly, mainly to the east, as the west side is almost totally developed.

There is nothing in the US like the Gulf of Mexico!

Keep us posted on your adventure. I'm sure we can assist ya if you have questions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are quite a few AR fans down here, you won't be lonely!!!  Come on down and get your concealed carry permit too.  Our State is comfortable with legal, law abiding citizens defending themselves or possibly even others.

One quick question though, do you know how to vote???
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey,I live in orlando,and I heard the "Orlando Rifle and Pistol Club" is great.I Have not checked it out yet,but it supposedly has a huge outdoor range,with multiple stages and whatnot.Anybody know of this place?
View Quote

It's off Narcossee Road(sp), Southeast of orlando. on plus side, the HP range faces north, but is only 300 yards.
Come on over to Port Malabar Rifle & pistol Club here on the coast in Palm Bay. We have a very active HP program on our 600 yd range with  a monthly NRA any/any long range match saturday and an xc sunday.  Also a not quite monthly CMP Garand match and a monthly training/practice/fun 200yd match.  Plus IPSC, 3 gun, class 3, cowboy, bullseye pistol, schutzen, clays, trap, skeet, small bore,  plus more that I can't remember. http://www.net4u.net/gunclub/
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's off Narcossee Road(sp), Southeast of orlando. on plus side, the HP range faces north, but is only 300 yards.
Come on over to Port Malabar Rifle & pistol Club here on the coast in Palm Bay. We have a very active HP program on our 600 yd range with  a monthly NRA any/any long range match saturday and an xc sunday.  Also a not quite monthly CMP Garand match and a monthly training/practice/fun 200yd match.  Plus IPSC, 3 gun, class 3, cowboy, bullseye pistol, schutzen, clays, trap, skeet, small bore,  plus more that I can't remember.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have lived in this area most of my non military life.
Sarasota is a little south of the Tampa Bay area and way better. I live 40 miles to the north and greatly prefer Sarasota. It is a nice old town, Founded by artists and old money, relatively genteel for central Florida. There seems to be some land still available outside of Sarasota for around $5 to $10K per acre depending on how far out. A modest middle class home in a subdivision would probably average $150 to $200K. This area is overdeveloping badly and will continue to do so till we run out of water or a hurricane decimates all the new development.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks Terry!
I have only shot my M4 on a range of 75 feet:)
I'll check out the Orlando club first,since it's SO close to me.Terry,do I have to be a member to shoot at the Orlando club? they have not answered my e-mail yet,I just want to go down there and shoot a bit every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
There are several private clubs in the Orlando area - Central FL Rifle & Pistol on the SE side, Seminole County Gun & Archery on the NE side, the Eustis club (not sure of the official name), Chuluota Sportsman's Club (Oviedo) & Titusville. I know several folks in the Malabar organization and occasionally go over to shoot sporting clays, but it is a pretty good drive from Orlando. I am a member in the Seminole County Gun & Archery Asssociation (Senior Range Safety Officer for the shotgun range) and will be more than happy to discuss our club & facilities offline with you. Our website is www.scgaa.org and you can reach me at [email protected]. We are much more informal than Central FL - very few formal matches. Central FL is VERY competition oriented to the point of it being difficult to shoot informally on the weekends I am told. Both good facilities, just different priorities. We have a 300yd rifle range, large pistol range, plinking/Class 3 range, shotgun (5 stand), etc.

Drop me a line.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thanks Terry!
I have only shot my M4 on a range of 75 feet:)
I'll check out the Orlando club first,since it's SO close to me.Terry,do I have to be a member to shoot at the Orlando club? they have not answered my e-mail yet,I just want to go down there and shoot a bit every now and then.
View Quote

You need to be a member or go with a member to just shoot, but can attend and shoot in a match as a non-member(we charge you a couple extra bux). I warn you that once you get on a full sized range you may get bit and be in the market for a CLE service upper for that m4......
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks all for the info. You guys are too much.

Originally I am from Fl. Born and raised. 5th. generation Florida Cracker.

I was misplaced by good old Uncle Sam east of D.C. and the stench of liberals is always blowing this way. Towards Delaware, that is.
But I have my own range in my back yard, sooo...

I basically grew up between Orlando and the Sarasota areas. This would be like moving back home after 17 years.
Most of my and my wifes family are still down there. She wants tomove back so bad she can't see straight.

Hangfire, Thanks you pitch well. Great points.

Rich, D*mn man, You are always bringin' me down.
Just kiddin.
The possibillities are endless down there.
I have exhausted most of the Major work in the Area. Just completed(last year) a Ten year Federal Highway project.
I do mostly Subdivision work now and it just doesn't pay.
You have a point too.

The one thing that stands out in my memory about the Orlando Area is there was a place to shoot within a half hour in any direction. My fovorite was near Apopka. "Shoot Straight G.R."
They had it all. Army Navy Store on one side, G.R. on the other.

Osprey, Will do.

SofaKing I'd like to check that place out. I was looking for it when we were last down. I think it's near International Drive.

Older Crow that is where my Sister lives I think. They just moved again.
But She is the one driving all this this.
She is lining up jobs, houses, and would do  anything to get me to "come home". She and I are the only ones in my family who can get along. And really the only one who I am close too.
She is already dropping off my Resume at several companies.

And you are sooo right about having a well down there. Florida is in a perpetual state of Drought. And Wild Fires.

Yes I Vote. And Yes I will get my FL ccw. I already have Delaware's so it should be a simple process. Del is mostly restrictive on their issuance. And seems to be ever more so with firearms in general. The Capital, Dover has banned gun shows and dealers.
And thanks for the link, Terry.

Griz, Know Seminole county and Oviedo well or did.

My Mom lives in Winter Park just outside Orlando.

AHHHHH more and more reasons why I am a fool to stay here.
But I have my own range in my back yard.

Thanks to all I missed too.
Decisions Decisions.
Lets see how the Job Offers go before I lose sleep over the anguish of losing my Range out back.

[beer]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
You can always get a long gun that fires cbcaps, the neighbors wont hear it. It`s fun but dont let your friends see you. Sorta like the moped/heavy woman idea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh Delmarksman,

I forgot about that range that sits 'bout three miles offshore. Infinate positions, unlimited range (facing west) and moving (bobbing) targets! Kinda gives a new meaning to 'SPRAY  and pray'!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
[url]www.manateegunclub.8m.com/index.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top