Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/9/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
Decided to finally start a retirement fund at age 27. I went through New York Life for a Roth IRA. Met with the agent today who is a shooter, member of the NRA and an officer at one of the local gun clubs, so I knew it was a guy I could trust. Anyways most of this stuff is over my head so I needed an agent that could guide me through the process and help a long the way. Going to be putting away about $250 a month into the IRA and they are going to be a little more aggressive with my contributions for "MainStay" mutual funds. Sound like a solid plan?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not entirely convinced the gubmint will be able to keep its filthy mitts off Roth IRAs.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You could have just opened up a tradeking account and squirreled away your 5500 a year, and just buy a sp500 index fund.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could have just opened up a tradeking account and squirreled away your 5500 a year, and just buy a sp500 index fund.
View Quote

Yea well I don't understand any of this shit and if I did that I'd probably end up pissing my money away. But I will check it out anyways. I haven't signed anything for the Roth IRA yet. Was planning on doing that next week.

Opening this Roth account I'll have at least have somebody who knows what they are doing with my mutual funds/etc.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yea well I don't understand any of this shit and if I did that I'd probably end up pissing my money away. But I will check it out anyways. I haven't signed anything for the Roth IRA yet. Was planning on doing that next week.

Opening this Roth account I'll have at least have somebody who knows what they are doing with my mutual funds/etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put the max amount into the Roth IRA, $5,500 a year.  It comes out to $458.33 a month.

Do you have a 401K through work?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If you dont have an account with Vanguard - you are paying too much.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You got started good. Now get started learning all about it.  The more you save at an early age the better you will end up.

There are many options. Land they are not making any more of it .  Drips,  rent property, living below you means etc.

Good luck you have done the hardest part you got started!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Put the max amount into the Roth IRA, $5,500 a year.  It comes out to $458.33 a month.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 401k. I really cannot afford the $458.33 per month as I am trying to get into my first house this year.

Quoted:
You got started good. Now get started learning all about it.  The more you save at an early age the better you will end up.

There are many options. Land they are not making any more of it .  Drips,  rent property, living below you means etc.

Good luck you have done the hardest part you got started!

That's the way I look at it. At least I got started. I was talking to him and he has some 40 and 50 year olds going to him that are looking to start a retirement account and at that point there is really no help.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not entirely convinced the gubmint will be able to keep its filthy mitts off Roth IRAs.  

View Quote

Remember, feds just wanted to start taxing 529 plans and decided not to because of the hell that was raised. They will try it again to help the women and children and anyone wlse that will get them re-elected.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations, you are giving your money away to .gov. Hundreds of politicians and millions of FSA thank you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congratulations, you are giving your money away to .gov. Hundreds of politicians and millions of FSA thank you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Bale out, bale out. You want to invest in mutual funds, that part is fine but NYLife takes too big of a commission for the funds. Life Insurance Companies really take advantage of their customers and charge large commissions. Go ahead and set up a small account, then go down to Ed Jones or another broker and tell them you want to buy some growth mutual funds. In both cases let them explain their fee and commission structure, then you can decide who is best.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bale out, bale out. You want to invest in mutual funds, that part is fine but NYLife takes too big of a commission for the funds. Life Insurance Companies really take advantage of their customers and charge large commissions. Go ahead and set up a small account, then go down to Ed Jones or another broker and tell them you want to buy some growth mutual funds. In both cases let them explain their fee and commission structure, then you can decide who is best.
View Quote

You know the fees are set by the mutual fund company right? Jones will offer an "A" share fund with American Funds with a 5.25% load and probably a $75 a year maintenance fee. The annual expense ratio will probably be .50% to 1.%, that's what American Funds will charge annually.

The NYL person will offer something similar.

edit- cschaeff is correct if NYL recommends you pay another fee for a financial plan. Walk away if that happens.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really just afraid of losing all the money I am putting in there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Vanguard is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Vanguard offer adviser services? Like I'd sign up for an IRA and they would have someone who goes and picks the funds and all the bullshit for me?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want safer funds, I'd suggest fidelity and their 2050 or 2060 fund... Nothing to pick, just shove money in and wait. Max out your Roth in any way you can though 460/mo, its the least you can do if you're not doing a 401k or other employer sponsored plan.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.  My dad's money manager took me on for free, if that weren't the case I would have gone with Vanguard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No 401k. I really cannot afford the $458.33 per month as I am trying to get into my first house this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful with a house.  They can be money pits with unexpected expenses.  Make sure you are going to be in the area for 5+ years.  A house ties you down and may make it harder to change jobs.  Buy a house below your means so you aren't "house poor", meaning you are putting a lot of money into the mortgage/mortgage insurance/insurance/property taxes/new furnace/etc.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Smart401K and have been VERY pleased with their quarterly recommendations based on my risk tolerance. Very happy with a steady return and it's pretty worry free. Re balance according to their recommendations every Quarter and that's it. Change your risk tolerance whenever.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're also not making as much as you should.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all are.  But the good news is that you can still buy metal, property, and live frugally at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I've seen locally EdJones fees are crazy and they get everything up front. Of course I don't know if they are all like that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does Vanguard offer adviser services? Like I'd sign up for an IRA and they would have someone who goes and picks the funds and all the bullshit for me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do... Only if you have over a million with them though
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fidelity is great too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

thank you for your valuable contribution.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is why proper asset allocation is critical.

Ferri, All About Asset Allocation
http://www.amazon.com/About-Asset-Allocation-Second-Edition/dp/0071700781

probably the most important text anyone could read. it's not a math book, it simply explains why asset allocation is the single greatest influence on risk and return, and how to balance the two.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concur.  I expect government to change the rules and allow for IRAs to be converted to government securites.  Full faith & guarantee of the US Government  I'd rather spend my money on toilet paper.  At least it's useful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
And that would be the dumbest post of the day.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Concur.  I expect government to change the rules and allow for IRAs to be converted to government securites.  Full faith & guarantee of the US Government  I'd rather spend my money on toilet paper.  At least it's useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

an IRA is a type of tax-advantaged account, into which one puts investments.  (think of it as an empty drinking glass).
a "government security" is a type of investment.  (think of it as orange juice).

so, you are expecting the "government to change the rules and allow for IRAs to be converted to government securites" -- which is basically saying a drinking glass would be converted into orange juice.

ok.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would they do that if my IRA is invested in real estate?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is important!  Investment managers make money off of fees.  Sometimes those fees are high, Vanguard is not.

RF
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

an IRA is a type of tax-advantaged account, into which one puts investments.  (think of it as an empty drinking glass).
a "government security" is a type of investment.  (think of it as orange juice).

so, you are expecting the "government to change the rules and allow for IRAs to be converted to government securites" -- which is basically saying a drinking glass would be converted into orange juice.

ok.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok.

ar-jedi

Not to mention that the stock market (one investment option for IRA funds) relies on supply and demand for prices. If the government were to sweep up all of the stocks, the supply and demand would be gone and prices would evaporate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Ar-Jedi and others - we were once a nation of laws.  Back in the Reagan era people went to jail for white collar crimes.  That doesn't happen today and I wouldn't put anything past the government and those who can buy the legislation they want.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Spoken like a dude who knows nothing about Roth IRAs.  Lol

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, they'll be dipping into everything.

I thinks Roth IRAs may be the last in line.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they will eventually force people over a certain age to put a portion of their retirement account(s) in T bills or something.  For their own good.  But I still have faith and contribute to my retirement account, because I don't believe they're stupid enough to wage total war on old people's money.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#39]
So why did the conversation deviate from Roths?

What's the downfall other than the "my IRA is better" approach?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is important!  Investment managers make money off of fees.  Sometimes those fees are high, Vanguard is not.

RF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF

ok, you folks are co-mingling at least three different issues here.

an IRA (whether Roth or Traditional) -- as noted above -- is a TYPE OF TAX-ADVANTAGED ACCOUNT.  other types of tax-advantaged accounts include 401k, 403b, TSP, and so on.  these sorts of accounts are administered by "custodians", of which there are hundreds including local banks, brokerage houses, insurance companies, and so on.  

1)
"opening an IRA" is the process of setting up the account.  Vanguard, Fidelity, T.Rowe Price, and other IRA custodians all offer "no annual fee" IRAs.  that is, the act of setting up the account and maintaining the account (sending you statements, etc) is no charge to you.  OP: at the minimum, your IRA custodian should not be charging you to set up an account, nor should they be charging you an annual fee to maintain the account.

2)
investments are made "within the account".  what investment products are chosen define the makeup of the IRA (this is one part of a process called "asset allocation").  your IRA could contain cash-equivalent, stocks, bonds, mutual funds (including index funds), bond funds, and several other types of investment products.  with respect to costs (one time and recurring), it makes a huge difference on what is purchased AND how they are purchased (more on this in a moment).  for example, if you open an IRA before April 15th and contribute the 2014 max ($5500), you could purchase (example) $2500 of an ETF (exchange traded fund) such as SPY for a one-time flat share trading fee of about $8 to $15.  that's it, that's your cost to get into this particular investment.  it will be relatively the same amount at Vanguard, Fidelity, T.Rowe Price, and just about every other "efficient" custodian.  the share trade cost with an IRA maintained at a brick-and-mortar bank will be higher for a couple of reasons.  

other investments will not incur a share trading fee; for example, purchasing an index fund may be "no-fee" but instead that fund incurs internal costs referred to as the expense ratio (ER).  no matter where you buy the fund, these internal costs will be incurred by you, however they are computed within the fund and reflected in the NAV (net asset value) of the fund.  that is, you don't pay them directly.  for example, if you have a Fidelity IRA you can purchase at no fee (via the Fidelity fund supermarket) the Vanguard S&P500 index fund "VFINX".   the ER on VFINX is currently 0.17% -- which is very low and therefore very good.  most of your investment VFINX is working for you, and not paying someone.

OP: the three custodians referenced above have very low share trading costs and offer a plethora of low cost (= low ER) funds, both (managed) mutual and (unmanaged) index.  

3)  
all of the above depends on YOU making investment product buy and sell decisions.  to wit, the "I" in IRA stands for "individual".  nonetheless, some folks either lack the skill or time to make investment product selections.  for this reason advisers exist to assist in investment decisions or completely manage your account.  they are not doing this for free, however.  they are getting paid, either up front (via a sales "load" on a fund for example) or continuously (via a percentage of AUM -- assets under management) or IN SOME OTHER WAY.  but they are getting paid -- trust me on this they are not doing work for free.  

OP: if you decide to use an adviser, i HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a person chartered as a "fee-only" financial planner.  google this term, understand how a "fee-only" financial planner differs from other types, and why it is beneficial TO YOU FINANCIALLY to disconnect the advice-giving from the product-selling.  this is very important.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/102014/feeonly-financial-advisers-what-you-need-know.asp
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/lesson15/index5.htm
http://www.napfa.org/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ar-Jedi and others - we were once a nation of laws.  Back in the Reagan era people went to jail for white collar crimes.  That doesn't happen today and I wouldn't put anything past the government and those who can buy the legislation they want.
View Quote

read the OP's question and then look at what you have written above in your two posts in this thread.  don't shit on his thread.  start you own thread complaining about the world.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sound like a solid plan?
View Quote

i pulled together some links for you.  you should read these.

1. the difference between taxable and tax-advantaged accounts:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1628800__ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_need_to_start_saving_for_retirement___Where_do_I_start_.html&page=1#i47482466

2. the difference between an account (such as an IRA, or 401k, or brokerage, etc) and an investment (such as stocks, mutual funds, etc):
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1669572__ARCHIVED_THREAD____If_you_had_1k_to_invest.html&page=3#i49571557
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the last paragraphs of that post !!!

everyone starts off [feeling helpless about long term investing]. but, the first time you saw an AR15, and started to take it apart, you also had no idea what to do. and now, you can not only do it in the dark, but you can explain to others how it works and why it works the way it does. investing is no different. in the beginning, it looks like an immense set of unrelated gears in a giant transmission. for this reason i dissuade you from concluding that it is "not-understandable" –– like most complex things, long term investing is made up of simple building blocks. which brings me to...

for more information, here are the only three investing texts that you will ever have to read:

The Four Pillars of Investing, by William Bernstein
The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, by Taylor Larimore et al
All About Asset Allocation, by Richard Ferri

with those three books under your belt, you will be ahead of 99.99% of all long term investors. these texts are straightforward to read and designed for normal folks -- they are not math books. they are easy-to-read texts which explain long term investing with lots of practical examples. when, where, how, and why to invest in various investment vehicles during various periods of your life, and more importantly what *not* to do as well.

it is my belief that whether you choose to self-manage your long term investments /or/ pay someone to manage your long term investments you should have an understanding of how it is all supposed to work –– what options are available, what strategies are prudent at various life stages, and how the risk-vs-reward balance is attained. otherwise, you are truly deer hunting in the dark –– and as a result the odds of coming home with venison are basically nil.

View Quote

3. what a "fund supermarket" is, and why its a huge advantage to open an IRA with Fidelity, Vanguard, or T.RowePrice -- all of whom have huge fund supermarkets
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1628800__ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_need_to_start_saving_for_retirement___Where_do_I_start_.html&page=1#i47482651

4. how to transfer an IRA from one custodian to another:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1669572__ARCHIVED_THREAD____If_you_had_1k_to_invest.html&page=3#i49571729

IRA = individual retirement account.

role of IRA custodian = do paperwork.
role of IRA account holder = manage investments INSIDE the IRA.

the following applies to ANYONE with an IRA:

if you think your historical IRA performance is poor, it's your fault. own up to it, and decide to do something about it.

YOU control the contents (the orange juice) of an IRA account (the glass). the guys who are performing a custodial role (Fidelity, Vanguard, Prudential, etc) are doing the accounting. that's it.

if the fee structure of the custodian where you have your IRA is poor, or the breadth of the investment options available inside the IRA is poor, or the website that the IRA custodian offers makes MySpace look modern, or ANY OTHER REASON YOU ARE NOT HAPPY.... it's simple: move the IRA.

moving an IRA is so easy it is stupid to wait 10 more minutes.
View Quote

5. examples on how to run asset allocation analysis using free online tools:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672620__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Vanguard__Fidelity__TD_Ameritrade_or_another__For_IRAs__small_time_investing_and_speculating_for_fun.html&page=1#i49685150

6. how cash works INSIDE an IRA or other account (aka "sweep position") including an example featuring Howler Monkeys
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672620__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Vanguard__Fidelity__TD_Ameritrade_or_another__For_IRAs__small_time_investing_and_speculating_for_fun.html&page=1#i49699589

7. advanced topics: conversion of IRAs from one type to another
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672620__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Vanguard__Fidelity__TD_Ameritrade_or_another__For_IRAs__small_time_investing_and_speculating_for_fun.html&page=1#i49707422

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep laughing, I don't mind. I would rather pay a 15-30% tax on my Roth IRA funds when I retire than lose money by keeping it in the bank or as gold bricks under the bed. Since opening a Roth 10 years ago and fully funding it for the past 8-9, I have more than doubled all my contributions. How are the toilet paper futures looking?

Then again, you may have the last laugh when the government taxes my Roth by a criminal percentage in order to pay for those that failed to prepare for the future (and blew all their money on toilet paper instead of wise investments).
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure, except he would pay income tax on money he takes out of it after he is 59 1/2, but why would that matter.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sure, except he would pay income tax on money he takes out of it after he is 59 1/2, but why would that matter.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you can open a roth ira with tradeking...if not theres scottrade, etrade, etc....
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Dude 401ks are free money if your company will match a certain percentage.  If your company does NOT match than why the fuck are you working there.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#47]
I have all my 401k funds going into a Roth through work. I contribute the max that is matched by the company, 7%.

I'm 51 and have already retired once so my circumstances are much different than yours.

The important thing is that you are contributing, do what you can afford and pretend that it's not there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

probably the most important text anyone could read. it's not a math book, it simply explains why asset allocation is the single greatest influence on risk and return, and how to balance the two.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

The standard Vanguard Target Retirement funds seem to have a long track record with good return. What is your thought putting everything in one of these?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Get an index fund and don't waste your money.

20 years of stupid talking here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

DON'T be afraid...at this point in your life you need to take more risks...once you get near retiring scale back your risk profile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top