Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
I started building ARs back in the early 90's, right before the federal ban came into effect.  Back then, there were only a few companies making rifles, and even fewer making parts - and virtually all of the part guys were generic mil-spec (FN et al) resellers.  I was pretty much out of the AR game for 20 years, but noticed that as time progressed, other companies sprung up, and the reputations of many of the older companies seem to have changed radically.  Bushmaster and DPMS were considered cream of the crop back in the day, and were priced accordingly.  Oly and Stag were considered bottom of the barrel when they got popular - maybe 10 years ago, but were really cheap to buy.  Now, those rolls seem to have reversed, and there are a zillion or so parts guys out there now with varying reputations.  Has quality really changed for the older guys, or have higher quality options been introduced.  Are there really differences in true quality other than cosmetics, or is it a Ford vs Chevy thing?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford vs Chevy. I shoot with a large group of people. Most of the major brands are present. They are all good ARs. It seems to me if you don't like what I like you have "junk". My brothers best friend has a nephew who's neighbor's oldest son doesn't like brand X. Therefore it's no good. Get what you like best and enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS has always been sub-tier.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
See what I mean. Speak for yourself. My DPMS has been 100% for a long time. When I buy another one it will be DPMS. (DPMS hasn't gone bankrupt.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
See what I mean. Speak for yourself. My DPMS has been 100% for a long time. When I buy another one it will be DPMS. (DPMS hasn't gone bankrupt.)
View Quote

Sweet!

I wouldn't suggest a DPMS to anyone in this market.  Definitely not saying they are the worst AR out there... just saying they aren't even in the same league (and don't try to be) as your BCMs, DD, KAC, ect ect.  DPMS's market is the gunstore "I want an AR to shoot at the range 5 times a year and don't know where to start" customer.  The DPMS rep on here is always really helpful and respectful despite the shit they take on here so I'm honestly glad you are buying from them

We have all owned a DPMS at one time or another bro
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Only DPMS part I own is an A2 rear sight kit that I put on an FN upper.  Fits like crap.  But, it works.  No other experience with their rifles, tho.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, wrong tab.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Talk to people who go to classes.  DPMS shits the bed all the time.  It works for a toy, not something to defend yourself with.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talk to people who go to classes.  DPMS shits the bed all the time.  It works for a toy, not something to defend yourself with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of failures are we talking about?  Front fell off or just jams?

The only rifle I have ever seen that was reliably unreliable was a Bushmaster and I suspect it had more to do with that individual gun.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I attend several high round count carbine and pistol classes each year.

What I have witnessed is that with lower tier brands like Bushmaster and DPMS is that quality is hit and miss. Some run great, others are pure shit. When I say shit I mean things like improperly staked gas keys causing compete stoppage. I see failure to extract etc etc I usually loan out a quality bcg.
I also see a lot of guys that run their guns too fucking dry. Lube it, a lot. It won't hurt it.

OP, companies like BCM, Daniel Defense and the like are of much higher quality than bushy or dpms these days.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You've got me there. I shoot my gun at the range and out in the woods doing a little varmint hunting. I have far better guns for self defense. I guess I would see it differently if like you I was always fighting off attackers and zombies from long distances. But, alas, I'm not. Also I just read in American Rifleman that DPMS is the 2nd largest AR manufacturer in the world, Morgan Stanley hasn't had to bail them out of bankruptcy and as mine is an excellent gun, like DPMS I will keep on truckin'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top