Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/17/2003 2:20:09 PM EDT
OK, I tried to negotiate a special rate with the owner that would let me do these REAL cheap. But it seems not only was he unable to offer volume discounts, I learned that they will soon be out of Stg58 versions and will be raising costs of the SA58 versions.

Well I hate to see anyone miss out. Personal interest aside, I think these are the best deal on a .308 today. God that sounds like a car sales man.

Anyway, I will do this if it flys.

Stg58 Rifles $900 + $35.00 (s/h/ins)

Stg58 Carbines $950.00 + $35.00 (s/h/ins)

Options: Type I or II receiver. With or without carry handle cut (If you want no carry handle cut you can only get the Type I).

Come standard with hard case, manual, 20 round mag and lifetime warranty.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgCvBEoTTIK0VlttRUWnmQNR2!lmoBtoeJE9jy45kU7feL8mihO*UAm22nMwYPp7PLI*62DJQZhY0!RH9puAzWuMR64m15YNZemjELq!aVg/DSA-02.JPG[/img]

I would need at least 10 on board to make this happen.

PLEASE READ: [url=http://www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004383][red]DISCLAIMER!!![/red][/url]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had the $900 I'd take you up on the rifle version (if I could get it without the muzzle brake.)

Unfortunately, I'm strapped for cash.  Good tax return this year, and it's all going to pay bills [:(]

Thanks for trying.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Pfft, I prefer the SA-58 anyway.

(The above is indicitive of the fact that the poster is broke, wants an FAL, cannot afford any of them because PSU decided to increase tuition, and is very very bitter. If he had the money he'd jump in on this and later change the handguard. He also didn't get laid this weekend.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The SA58 models use 100% DSA parts.

The Stg58 models use a combination of DSA and Steyr (Exc. or New Only) parts.

Since Steyr Parts are cheaper than new DSA production parts the Stg58 models are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The rep you talked to wasn't working with you...

I just ordered an STG58 rifle - $875 after shipping and my FFL dealer's cut.  Not to put a downer on the group buy, but they could have done better.

I'm glad I ordered now though since they will be running out [:)]
View Quote

Yup, SB you ordered one basically at dealer cost and paid your FFL whatever little profit he was willing to accept.

So lets see, $850.00 plus some small amount for me, yup that adds up to about $900.00.

I was trying to organize a group buy for those people who don't have the availability to order firearms AT COST.

And like I said, the OWNER (not a rep) wasn't interested in cutting me any special group purchase deal. He was interested in raising prices as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Though I think I'd prefer the SA-58, I'm still gonna go shake my piggy bank and see how much falls out get back to you on it.

I also want do a little more comparing between the SA58 and STG58 as well as the standard vs. carbine. Any insights to offer between the SA58 and STG58 AFA performance, durability, reliability?

And I just acquired an M1 Carbine & a crapload of accessories too and I STILL don't have an OKO on my new CAV15 yet either.  

But a DSA FAL is a [b]MUST HAVE![/b]

[:\]

Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
what is the time frame on the purchase?  I was saving for a sa58 carbine, any chance of those as a choice in the group?
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably will NOT be doing a SA58 Group Buy. They will soon raise the prices and with the small difference between dealer and retail (to say nothing of internet retail) it is just not worth the effort, especially with DSA unwilling to work with the dealer.

I am basically only doing this since these are gonna be unavailable soon and it is a opportunity to hook you guys up and make some change at the same time. I know what it is like to "miss out", been there done that.

The main difference between the Stg58 and SA58 models is price. Keep in mind that DSA only uses New or Exc. Steyr parts. This is a far cry from the G1 "kit guns" out there. And they use the same identical receiver as on the SA58s.

The only other differences are the brake, the Stg58s use a browning style shown in the pics and the SA58 uses the more common 3 hole brake. The Stg58 have a grey phospate parkerized finish while the SA58 tend to be matte black.

The SA58 also come in a wider variety of furniture configs, camo finishes, etc. But the same upgrades/accessories can be added to a Stg58. You can even send a completed DSA rifle in for a camo job for $300.00.

Since DSA is Steyr spec the parts are pretty much identical. It is simply that NEW production parts cost more than existing parts.

The SA58s are REALLY NICE and if you are into presentation grade stuff that is what you want. But more than a few guys I know sold their SA58s for a Stg58 when they saw how nice they actually were. My advice, if money is NO OBJECT then save for the SA58. If money is a consideration the Stg58 is more bang for the buck. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad DSA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
SteyrAUG--

What's the difference between the type 1 and type 2 receivers?  Is one better than the others?

How much longer till they run out of the STG58's????

Man, this sucks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
TO All -

The Stg58A IS indeed the best deal in a .308 battle rifle today (and I do NOT care if I sound like a used car salesman [:D]  )

And personally to SteryAug -

Thanks, dude for doing these great deals for us here, and for you pics of the Shot Show. Yer a good dude.

Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am interested (though terribly broke).
A couple of general questions.
What is the velocity giveaway in standard NATO 7.62 for the carbine vs. standard version?
What is the weight differnce?
How much extra for the piccatiny rail on the upper receiver.
I have decided against the M1A for my 7.62 purchase.  SA seems to have some QA issues.  The DSA FAL does seem to be the best deal out there.  Especially magazine wise.
Thanks for putting this out there (with a small fee for your efforts.  This is America, after all)
View Quote

1. Velocity of standard vs. carbine - Don't know. Basically subtract about 4" of barrel.

2. Weight difference - Don't know. Again subtract about 4" of barrel.

3. Rail- Hey I know this one. The Zero Movement Heavy Dutty mount is not integral to the receiver but simply replaces the top cover.

4. Problems with current M1As is why I'm doing this one. And yes mag prices are icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Dagblabitawbernditkawazoierplummabowamizzavontizbit!!!!

I'm out 'o money and I'm told that there is a group buy on a rifle I've wanted for a long time now but will soon be no longer available.

[banghead]

Link Posted: 2/17/2003 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SteyrAUG--

What's the difference between the type 1 and type 2 receivers?  Is one better than the others?

How much longer till they run out of the STG58's????

Man, this sucks!
View Quote

Very little, basically about 3 small lightening cuts. the big diff is between type I,II and III receivers. Type III are slab sided for mass prioduction and lack the distinction of type I & II. Basically if you want a carry handle your want a II, if you don't want a carry handle you want a I. Order accordingly.

Have no idea when the damn will be dry. But the availability of Steyr parts in acceptable (acceptable to DSA being the operative word) condition is getting low. I also have a feeling DSA personally profits more form the SA58 models and want to move to them exclusively.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
DSA makes a great rifle. I have an SA-58 standard I got last March. It's a type 3 with the badger 21" barrel. Been very happy with it. The STG is a great value. The SA-58 by comparison runs about $1400.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, for those who are unfamiliar with DSA, I bought a STG58 last summer (at the same price steyr is offering...$900.)  I bought it blind, that is, never having handled one before.  I could not be more impressed with the rifle.  Quality is first rate.

If you are looking for a hi-cap, hard hitting semi-auto, I can't imagine how you would be disappointed with one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dagblabitawbernditkawazoierplummabowamizzavontizbit!!!!

I'm out 'o money and I'm told that there is a group buy on a rifle I've wanted for a long time now but will soon be no longer available.

[banghead]

View Quote

I'm gonna try and leave this open for 30 days before I move with it. This way people can get their funds together a little easier. I normally don't want to run concurrent group buys (I have the Serbu deal in the works, submitted and waiting for delivery).

But I also don't wanna miss the boat either. I've learned from experience that sometimes you got to get while the getting is good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
i own a few fal's...love 'em.

the type I is the early receiver with maximum lightening cuts, used from intro up untill 1960-61.

type II rec was only used in 1961-62 by fn...varies a little in the cut/reinforcement at the rear sides. also used by steyr on the stg-58 and the south african rand r1 rifle variants.

type III is the plain-jane, but strongest and heaviest of the three receiver styles utilized.

the big difference in the two series of dsa fal's is that the sa uses a brand new pipe, while the stg's are built using used bbls.

the sa-58 rifle weighs 9.75 lbs. unloaded and is 43" long with the 3-hole brake.

the sa-58 carbine weighs 8.25 lbs. and is 38.25" long over the 3-hole brake.

note: these brakes are very loud!

Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought mine with a type II receiver for $795 plus $20 shipping.  It actually came in a rifle case.  I had significant FTEs on the original gas port setting with quality hirtenberg ammo.  After I opened it up a little, no more FTEs.  The bottle opener on a Swiss Army Knife is actually a good tool to do this with.  The ports get bigger as the numbers get smaller.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I too wish there was that ficticious pot of gold to stumble on--I want an AR, Fal, and Cetme.  It seems that the Cetme and Fal will be 'drying up' to an extent.

Btw, for those desiring something in between the 21" and the 16" (I think) there are many who will cut, recrown, and/or reattach a break for a low nominal fee.  So, you can easily get that ~18" mid-length to keep the velocity up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
The differences between the SA-58 & STG-58
The SA-58 has the US made lightweight lower saving a couple ounces & A new badger made barrel.
I prefer the STG-58 As far as I could tell All the parts on my gun are as close to New as can be.(They say the Styer barrel is like new, But using a scope I could not see any imperfections in the couple I have checked), I do not like the badger barrels as the integral brake is Way too loud (All the DSA brakes are LOUD); DSA will install A new Argentine Chrome lined barrel at no additional cost.
I had mine made with the Type 1 receiver, Argie barrel cut to 18inches, DSA US made Belgian Type Handguards & DSAs new scope mount. I installed a slipover fake flash suppressor that looks like the short Belgian flashider, But slips down flush with the muzzle, So my 18inch barrel  looks like a 15inch barrel ($35 shipped, Made by a guy over at the FAL files E-Mail [email protected] for those interested), It came in a hard case with one mag and a reprint of the Belgian FAL manual.

My advise, Get one while you can! The best FAL type rife available today !

Link Posted: 2/17/2003 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Steyr, count me in for one!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought they'd be more receptive to a group buy. I got one of their Fal receivers from a FalFiles group buy and I thought they did pretty good on the price. Not great, ($320) but certainly much less than retail (I think it was under dealer cost).

Maybe its worth looking into a group buy of receivers?
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought they'd be more receptive to a group buy. I got one of their Fal receivers from a FalFiles group buy and I thought they did pretty good on the price. Not great, ($320) but certainly much less than retail (I think it was under dealer cost).

Maybe its worth looking into a group buy of receivers?
View Quote

Not interested, looking to get a group buy on completed rifles under warranty. Tossing a run of the mill G1 kit on a DSA receiver is a far cry from having a DSA built gun.

Be plenty of time to build "part guns" on DSA receivers when the warrantied Stg58s are gone.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've gone in on two buys with SteyrAUG.
I will do it again when the right rifle comes along.
Fortunatly  for me, I just got a STG58A from him.
So I can't do it again right now.

Give me a heads up if you ever do a HK MP5 group buy SteyrAUG.[naughty]
View Quote

Hey legs, The 58A is that badass mofo with the bipod, ain't it?

SteyrAUG, I can't tell from the pic, there IS a bipod on the 58, correct? If so, I'm in. Carry handle would be good also.
AB
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't speak eye-talian worth a hoot, but url below looks interesting.  Maybe somebody could tell me how to get a web translation??

[url]http://www.euroarms.net/ExOrdinanza/ExordTextIT/CatalogoVirtuale/Austria/AustriaTXT/FAL_STG_58.htm[/url]

I'm 90 per cent in...will crap or get off the pot not later than Saturday morning.  Based on the URL, if I go I'll go with a type II receiver and no carry handle.

Steyer, thanks mucho for your time and trouble.

-hanko
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

SteyrAUG, I can't tell from the pic, there IS a bipod on the 58, correct? If so, I'm in. Carry handle would be good also.
AB
View Quote

Bipod is standard on all Stg58 models. Carry handle is also standard but you can order a Type I with NO carry handle cut is you desire that configuration.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#31]
IM mail
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Stg58 carbine a couple of months ago. The day I bought it I put 4-battlepacks of ammo thru it [each has 140-rds]. ZERO malfuctions.

Got home and realized how well thought out this rifle is. It sooo much easier to clean that an AR15. After taking off the dust cover & removing bolt, the breech-face is right there. You can clean this rifle in 5-minutes, NO hard-to-reach spots.

All parts are way over-engineered. All springs & pins are rock solid. Even the safety selector is about as thick as a nickle...no sorry ass stampings here. The bolt group looks all but indistructible, seriously solid bolt.

Finish is dull grey, very uniform. I was able to polish out some brass dings with a copper-brush. All parts look new. Barrel is shiny crome-lined 16".

I bought 12-magazines for $100, try that with AR-mags.

Carbine feels rock solid when shooting. Loud as hell. No "spoiiiing" as with the AR's recoil spring; just a solid thud. Empty case ejection is as hard and powerful as with any HK-91. The empties went low and to the right for at least 25-feet.

I'm very impressed with this rifle. I highly recomend it to anyone. I can see why DSA is running out of them. The carbine looks mean as hell at the range. It makes all the range snobs leave.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmm... Already have an Entreprise and two ARS STG58 carbines. I suppose I could use a DSA if someone is not anal about transferring the rifle to CA without the pistol grip or mag (which is legal).
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Very interested, but I'm in the same boat as mattja. Would shipment to CA be a problem?
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 3:55:32 AM EDT
[#35]
If there's 30 days (~March 15?) then I'll jump on this opportunity.  What a deal!  Thumbs up to SteyrAUG.

I'll keep checking back here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Would this be the correct link to give the specs on the rifles?  Mmm....that Type II[bounce] STG58's got me all warm and fuzzy.  Steyr you da man.

[url]http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=04&storeid=1[/url]
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Paging Mr. Steyr, paging Mr. Steyr. You have another IM.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Which type rec. was  the one tested against the m14?
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I just got an SA58 carbine from Steyr about 2 months ago.  He was great to work with.  Don't hesitate to order from him.  

Don't ask me how it shoots though.  My sad, lack of rifle range shooting availability has kept me from shooting it yet.  Hopefully in the next week or two though...
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Are the mags for these rifles metric or english?  Sorry for the newbie FAL q...
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Dem rifles and mags be metric.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Using all Steyr parts would guess METRIC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Most excellent...thanks for the quick response...learning the FAL as I go here.

I have a friend who's interested as well...so that makes 2 rifles for me!
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#47]
What are the different barrel lenghts?

Are there any other options like plastic furniture,quick detach bipod....ect.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OK,
Now I am getting serious.  The wife is going to have to get over this.  I want this gun now.
Questions.
Can we get the Argie chrome lined on this deal?
Not a deal breaker, just curious.
Also, who do you deliver to in Houston?
View Quote

OK, regarding options/updrades, DSA really doesn't do that with the Stg58 series. The barrels are Steyr so they are chrmoe lined and genuine military. Any upgrades (Belgian handguards, NM hooded sight, camo finishes) would have to be done post production.

So basically the group buy is for Standard Configurations with the options listed in the original post.

Personally I believe you'll find a DSA Stg58 doesn't need much done to it other than setting the gas system(which is simple). They don't arrive set, which is why one user had initial problems until he set it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I know I speak for many here in saying "Why me?, Why must I be tortured by dreams of group buys on evil black rifles!" but we live in CA.[>Q]
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Would this be the correct link to give the specs on the rifles?  Mmm....that Type 1 STG58's got me all warm and fuzzy.  Steyr you da man.

[url]http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=04&storeid=1[/url]
View Quote

Yes. This is the critter. I'll take one please.
AB
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top