Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2014 4:37:05 PM EDT
I have heard talk on this forum about Red Creek Tactical in Utah, their cerakoting operation, and the quality of the work they do. However, while the quality of their work may be good I wanted to warn everyone about doing business with them and share my experience. I sent my gun to them earlier in the spring to be cerakoted and was quoted six weeks, eight maximum. While this seemed a little longer than usual (in the past other companies have done it for me in about 3 weeks), I was willing to wait because I believed their work was worth it. At week 6 I called the owner, who happens to be the sole employee, and was informed that he actually hadn't started it, but promised it would be done by week 7. At week 8 I called and the same thing, but he promised he'd work overtime that weekend. Fast forward, now it is MONTH 7, I have called every week and I still have not received my weapon back. He has used every excuse in the book such as equipment issues, personal sickness, computer problems, shipping errors, etc.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, 6 weeks ago I told him I wanted it back completed or not. He promised me it was finished and would take it to the shipment facility himself. I received a tracking #, but never actually received my weapon. When I called him and expressed my disappointment I said if he couldn't send me my weapon back soon, then I would have to start considering other options such as calling Cerakote themselves, and calling the local police department. He didn't seem to care at all and told me to please go ahead, it wouldn't matter, and he was busy with other stuff at the moment (WOW). He then stopped answering his phone and emails over the past few weeks and refused to return communication, despite my only wanting to know the status of my gun and have it shipped. Only when I called from a out of state number did he actually answer, and even then he had nothing to say, no apology, simply "the police can't help you because its a civil issue...I'm busy with other things."
So now I have contacted the local police department, Cerakote, and the ATF. I have never been treated this way by a company, especially being a member of the military, and cannot express my feelings toward this company, the owner himself, and the way they do business. They are not only dishonest, but unprofessional and I would caution anyone against doing business with them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Stolen firearms are most definitely a police issue, not civil.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I would skip the BBB, for now.  A missing firearm is a task for the local PD.  I would never have waited that long.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, I did contact the local police department where they are located and they told me there was nothing they could do, as far as they were concerned it was a civil issue, since it is a business transaction (which I don't understand), but regardless since then I have contacted the State Police Department and the ATF, which both have been much more helpful and are working to help me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy sounds like a hugely unprofessional tool to me.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?124750-Red-Creek-Tactical

I don't care what business you are in. If you are the president of a company, big or small, you don't use the word asshole when corresponding with a potential customer. I'm not offended by it personally, but it's beyond unprofessional.

Best of luck to you OP. I hope you get your rifle and any money you've paid back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the warning! I was going to send some work their way, I've since changed my mind.

Side note, in before join date post count reply
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
How far is his business away from you? If it was me, I would show up to his place of business and leave with either my weapon or his head in my hand. One of the two. I hate shady mother fuckers with a burning passion. Go get your rifle back OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
6-8 weeks is insane for a Cerakote job. It takes my local guy about 3 days to get one done. Go to his shop and get your rifle back. If he doesn't have it, then head to the police in person.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the warning! I was going to send some work their way, I've since changed my mind.

View Quote

OP never said anything stupid or worthy of being called out. That happens in GD, not the tech forums.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a shitty deal, OP. You should definitely keep calling the police though. Make them to their job.

Curious, but what does you being in the military have to do with this?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Really not a far ride go get your shit !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I can only go on what you've said, but I think you should have been very clear about what you told the police. I would call and flat out say, "this dude stole my gun. I paid him for work, he kept my gun and won't give it back. He wont answer the phone or any other communication."

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
New user / check , butthurt /check . Norcal , next
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
That's fucked, sorry you gotta deal with BS like that
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

OP never said anything stupid or worthy of being called out. That happens in GD, not the tech forums.
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Right on time lol.

Call the cops, OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Norcal could say familiar.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
No pictures, no care.  Not reading until pictures are posted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I had Red Creek Tactical Cerekote a scope for me earlier this spring, I was quoted 6 weeks as well.  After 8 weeks, I called and pestered until I finally got it after 11 weeks.  I had felt a little bit of compassion for him since I was under the impression he was busy.  Well, when I finally got my scope back it looked like it was done in someones garage by a middle schooler.  Lines not straight nor was the tape lined up as it wrapped around, leaving weird edges/angles.

/Not impressed and he definitely won't get my business again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Joe Firearms does excellent work, they are in Sandy Utah.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure why people think BBB is anything other than a scam.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Man that crap makes me mad. I have a friend who sent his spyderco paramilitary2 into this gun shop that also did a lot of custom work like cerakoting and would even do custom color digicam patterns like the para2's have so they would be different colors and the guy promised a couple week turn around but it took my friend 4 months to get it back and it was done half assed.

This guy was so bad that customers started a forum dedicated to bitching about the business and dozens of people were getting screwed over. The owner was also a bit of an a-hole and told them he was so busy and this was his side business blah blah.

Well if you are that busy then advertise appropriate  turn around times you jerk
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Ernie did a receiver set for me, and it took like 3 times as long as he quoted it at. I think it was like 4 months before I had my receivers. There was a spot that looked like a drip on one of them too. Oh well
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
That's a bummer. What does being in the military have to do with it though?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#25]
That's a drag. Call your local PD and you need to push the PD at his location to take a report that it was stollen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.

<------- Former Marine
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#28]
There's no such thing as an ex- Marine. "Former Marine" is perfectly fine!

<----- current Marine
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its an integral part of the story man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Update: He has since sent my gun back, but only after I contacted ATF and the state police department. I also found out when I called cerakote that he was actually on a suspension from them for so many complaints, but they promised to remove his business from their map altogether.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post is in GD.

I think that's one of the reasons new people get so pissed. Post in a tech forum, end up being thrown in the shark tank...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not only is it an integral part of the story, I just found it weird that when I sent it to him he promises priority to military and law enforcement. So I reminded him of this when I spoke to him later on concerning the outrageous wait time and priority he was giving other business.
View Quote

Thanks for editing your original post.  Previously, it had reeked of "I'm a special snowflake because I'm military".  Now it makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This post is in GD.

I think that's one of the reasons new people get so pissed. Post in a tech forum, end up being thrown in the shark tank...
View Quote

It isn't tech.  It's a business review.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#34]
scanning scanning scanning

nope, still  no picture.  still no care
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
6-8 weeks is insane for a Cerakote job. It takes my local guy about 3 days to get one done. Go to his shop and get your rifle back. If he doesn't have it, then head to the police in person.
View Quote

Some good shops have backlogs. A few bad ones do too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The gun is not in OPs possesion. Wtf are you wanting pics of?

Eta: op send itstock a dick pick so he shuts up/cares.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Credibility is what I really want.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've sent guns out for work twice (chrome plating handguns). First time was AP&W with a 10 week turn around and excellent work. Second time was to another well-known company, 2 day turn around, and I've got two rust spots from where they didn't apply the chrome right.

A backlog doesn't mean much. FWIW, the guys who fucked up the chrome on my 1911 had an excellent reputation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why people think BBB is anything other than a scam.
View Quote

Absolutely.

The BBB has no authority to do shit. And if you think the BBB will "scare" this guy into making the deal good, I have some beach front property in Nevada for you......
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Member: gunnervet

stopped reading after that
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Said the 13er.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not only is it an integral part of the story, I just found it weird that when I sent it to him he promises priority to military and law enforcement. So I reminded him of this when I spoke to him later on concerning the outrageous wait time and priority he was giving other business.
View Quote

I may give mil and public safety a discount but cutting people in line because of their job is a weird business practice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
You are one of those that screw the rest of us.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, and your remarks are SOOOO much more relevant since you have 268 posts...

Thank you for the warning OP.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

sonnyroofy

December 22, 2013

Stop caring what you think after that------------ 14'er

Ed

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've sent guns out for work twice (chrome plating handguns). First time was AP&W with a 10 week turn around and excellent work. Second time was to another well-known company, 2 day turn around, and I've got two rust spots from where they didn't apply the chrome right.

A backlog doesn't mean much. FWIW, the guys who fucked up the chrome on my 1911 had an excellent reputation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but ANY shop can make mistakes. I did a bunch of stuff one day over the summer that all turned out perfect, except one piece. It rusted before it left the shop. The only thing I can think of is that I sweated on it.  No biggie, I re did it.  Had it gotten out, I'd have sent out a call tag, re done it with top priority and given a partial refund. Shit happens. How you fix it is pretty telling.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I may give mil and public safety a discount but cutting people in line because of their job is a weird business practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Said the 13er.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said the 13er.

Indeed.

Sorry about your gun OP.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#49]
wow this thread has it all

14er

1st post is to complain about a company

cerakote/duracoat faggotry

the veteran card
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top