Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
He'll go to some battered wives counciling program and tell the nfl he's sorry and he will be eventually reinstated. I doubt this year, maybe next.

It worked for the guy with the dogs, it will work for Rice.  If he has the ability to go through with the program.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course he deserves a right to make a living. He's free to do that elsewhere.

The NFL is a business. It has a right to employ whoever the fuck it wants to.

Ridgerunner posted this yesterday, and I like it a lot.

"Jobs belong to the employer, not the employee."
View Quote

Ha Ha. Didn't we just have a thread here  where LE was bitching about having to change jobs and "starting over" and losing pensions etc?  

"Jobs belong to the employer, not the employee."

Unless you have a strong union and management that will stand behind you no matter what you do.  Many in LE are not prosecuted and although there is often a huge cry from the public, many officers get to keep their jobs.

Remember the Dorner  case?  What happened to those officers that shot the shit out of the two women in the wrong truck??  Nothing!

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/8-l-officers-wont-punished-firing-103-times-two-unarmed-women/#axzz3CpQMl9oN

Shooting at two women over 100 times doesn't cause one to lose their jobs but smacking your GF does.

This is what I am talking about.  Mob mentality and political correctness run amuck.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I hardly think losing one's NFL slot renders one incapable of making a living. There's always gas station attendant, dishwasher, motivational speaker...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
His wife could give a flying fuck why should anyone else?
View Quote

Because his wife received 30 million reasons just this year NOT to give a flying fuck.

The PR cost is to the the Ravens, his employer, and the NFL, his parent company. They took (what they believe to be) appropriate action to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I am sure he can make a living doing something other than football.  I mean surely he pursued some type of engineering degree in college, or perhaps a degree in medicine?  He has to have backup plans, right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
public relations?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he has a degree from rutgers.... he should be fine.....

Yeah I sure he worked hard for that , and be extremely competent outside the football field

I can't find on google what it was

recreational studies ?

public relations?
mine sure wasn't in english

my god , my post above was horrible pre edit

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It turns out the NFL has a COC too.

They didn't strip his ability to make a living. He willfully violated a condition of employment.
View Quote

QFT.

OP sounds like a liberal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Phili sports personality sounds like he wants to hit her or something...

Howard Eskin Verified account ?@howardeskin

Ray Rice GF now wife Janay Parker needs 2 shut up. Disgusting that she and Rice got marriage certificate 2 days after he hit her. Disgrace
View Quote

https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/509336026306068480
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
he has a degree from rutgers.... he should be fine.....

let him make a living at walmart. Any company that hires him and promotes him as a "star" gets to deal with his. issues in the public.
View Quote

That was a nice left he threw. Maybe he could get a manager and enter the ring. He'd most likely be a cruiserweight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Losing your livelihood over something like that is no more ridiculous than being paid millions of dollars to play a game in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this ARFCOM or the goddamn Labor Union fan page?

Working in the NFL as a player is not a right, it is a privilege.  It is an incredibly outward facing position and your public image drives sales and revenue for your team and the league...period.  If your conduct threatens to hurt sales and revenues, then you should be fired.  period.

The NFL is always trying to expand their market and they have done a great job of doing it.  Their push over the last decade to attract women viewers has helped them become the billion dollar juggernaut they are today.  The Ray Rice video threatens to alienate a major part of their growing fan base and is a PR disaster.  Who caused it?  Ray Rice.  His actions threaten the company's bottom line, and so he absolutely should be fired.

This is not rocket science people.  If you have an employee who is costing you money instead of making you money through their detrimental actions, they deserve to be fired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He will get a come back, a book deal, and a TV mini series out of it. You'll see where his mom was abused and he joined a gang because no father...,  it will be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get the frenzy over this.  How the fuck does everyone think she got knocked out in the first place, butterfly kisses???  When I saw him drag her out of the elevator SIX MONTHS AGO, I knew he hit her  There was no mystery.  HE ADMITTED IT AND WAS PUNISHED.  He admitted he was an asshole and needed help.  To me, it seemed genuine.  Has he done it since?  I haven't heard anything.  This subsequent bullshit is mob hysteria generated by Fuckbook and Twits and smacks of double jeopardy.  Ahhh, fuck this shit.  People are idiots.

He will get a come back, a book deal, and a TV mini series out of it. You'll see where his mom was abused and he joined a gang because no father...,  it will be awesome.

Unlikely.  This will not be a Mike Vick redemption story.  Shelf life for running backs is very short, and his numbers declined terribly last year.  By the time he is done with any potential redemption tour crying on Oprah's couch he will be finished as an athlete anyways.  

A slightly past his prime QB can come back...a slightly past his prime RB cannot.  It is just the nature of the position.  He won't get another opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Losing your livelihood over something like that is no more ridiculous than being paid millions of dollars to play a game in the first place.
View Quote

They aren't paid millions of dollars to play a game, they are paid millions of dollars to entertain...they do so by playing a game.  If millions of people are willing to pay to be entertained every week, that translates to billions of dollars, and that translates to boatloads of money for the player.

Nobody on earth is overpaid...we're paid exactly what our employers and/or the market determines our work is worth.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They aren't paid millions of dollars to play a game, they are paid millions of dollars to entertain...they do so by playing a game.  If millions of people are willing to pay to be entertained every week, that translates to billions of dollars, and that translates to boatloads of money for the player.

Nobody on earth is overpaid...we're paid exactly what our employers and/or the market determines our work is worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree.  Note that I said "no more rediculous".  But if you're goi.g to accept that kind of money to be an entertainer, you had better keep the people entertained.  It's a fragile situation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The question is…… should he be stripped of his ability to make a living in his chosen profession?
View Quote

If his chosen profession is being an NFL player, then the answer is "yes".  Part of being an NFL player is protecting the image of the league.  He has tarnished that image and should be fired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree.  Note that I said "no more rediculous".  But if you're goi.g to accept that kind of money to be an entertainer, you had better keep the people entertained.  It's a fragile situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.  And that's why Ray Rice is playing Xbox today instead of practicing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Let's see if Arena Football will hire him.

I think even Gene Simmons would balk at signing him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]
He's not imprisoned. No one has made him unable to work — just not in the NFL. Many teachers are fired from schools and unable to find teaching jobs when they pull a bonehead move. Cops are often removed from the department and lose their certifications, doctors, lawyers, etc. Doesn't mean they can't find an income.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the same DA which let RR off so easy the same one trying to put the stifle moms who concealed carry in jail?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Hysteria....mass liberal hysteria....and domestic violence is just one of their tools. It's used as a tool to drain money out of your wallet, create welfare dependence, and attack peoples' rights to their property.

It's a huge ball of wax, designed to make the suspects PROVE THEIR INNOCENSE instead of requiring the state to PROVE THEIR GUILT, its a bunch of nanny-state bullshit. In the end, RayRay shouldn't have hit his wife but even she is now admitting that she is a bigger victim of the press than RayRay. If she chose to live in an abusive situation (that probably went both ways, you can't tell me she never raise her hands against him) then that was her choice as an adult living in a free country. But then again, we don't live in much of a free country anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Ray Rice is gonna be all right don't you worry and I'm betting his now wife doesn't care about a beating every once in a while if she gets some of his money.

The media makes a big deal about these things and the NFL is forced to dole out punishment to make it look like they are taking it seriously.

Next season after the media has moved onto someone else to judge, Rice will be back with another team.

Ostracized players can even become media darlings again if they say they found "God" and were really sorry for what they did!

For example see Ray Lewis, Mike Vick, etc..,

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
be stripped of his ability to make a living??

I have worked with several guys that have done far worse than punch their wife or GF.  Their  ability to earn a living was not taken from them.

NO, I DO NOT support what he did….. it's not OK.  I think he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and been jailed but he wasn't.

So, considering that there are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, etc. that have committed the same crime and their ability to earn a living was not taken from them, is it fair that Ray Rice has been stripped of his ability to earn a living at his chosen profession?

Is it a matter of "punishing the rich"?  Every talking head has been spouting " the rich NFL" and " the most successful league in history". What's that got to do with it?

If the government saw fit not to punish him in any meaningful way, should political correctness be used against him?

View Quote

I don't know where to begin on your rant.

"Stripped of his ability to make a living?" How's that? Is he banned from any kind of future employment? Sorry if he's no longer able to make millions playing a game, and no I'm not jealous of the "rich." I just don't believe that professional sports is going to miss one less thug.

And as far as "political correctness", I don't think it's ever been right to beat a woman. I guess I'm just old-fashioned.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
How, exactly, has his ability to earn a living been taken from him?  He was essentially fired by his employer.  Is he not free to seek employment elsewhere (outside of the NFL)?  Canada has a football league.  He also has a degree from Rutgers.  Is he not able to pursue a career using that degree?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't mind the guy being punished for what he did. What he did was disgusting. However. I am getting awful tired of all of this mob justice bullshit we have been seeing in the last few years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How, exactly, has his ability to earn a living been taken from him?  He was essentially fired by his employer.  Is he not free to seek employment elsewhere (outside of the NFL)?  Canada has a football league.  He also has a degree from Rutgers.  Is he not able to pursue a career using that degree?
View Quote

Maybe can he go play in the English Cut your Head off League
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Funny how he's considered to have more privacy rights than Donald Sterling isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
they are doing the jersey trade in for him in Baltimore.

bleacher report link

EDIT: supposedly he's out of Madden too
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My response is in that thread - where it belongs.  You were wrong, but for some reason don't want to admit it.  Regardless, let's keep it in the thread in which it belongs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have worked with several guys that have done far worse than punch their wife or GF.  Their  ability to earn a living was not taken from them.

NO, I DO NOT support what he did….. it's not OK.  I think he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and been jailed but he wasn't.

So, considering that there are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, etc. that have committed the same crime and their ability to earn a living was not taken from them, is it fair that Ray Rice has been stripped of his ability to earn a living at his chosen profession?

Is it a matter of "punishing the rich"?  Every talking head has been spouting " the rich NFL" and " the most successful league in history". What's that got to do with it?

If the government saw fit not to punish him in any meaningful way, should political correctness be used against him?

View Quote

This may be shocking to you, but in the olden days of not too long ago, men would indeed be fired for beating someone. Behavior outside the workplace was part of it. It isn't PC. Is it really too much to ask for someone from restraining from assault in order to maintain their contract?

As for being kicked out of the NFL, why not? The NFL is only an entertainment industry, and they will protect their image.

That is why wife-beaters are shunned, Christians like Tebow are run out, and homosexuals are given every opportunity to be on a team.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My response is in that thread - where it belongs.  You were wrong, but for some reason don't want to admit it.  Regardless, let's keep it in the thread in which it belongs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAWLZ
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The money isn't the issue and should not be considered in the mix. The question is…… should he be stripped of his ability to make a living in his chosen profession?

Again, considering that their are men from all walks of life and in all professions that did not lose their  jobs over the same type situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"On July 16, 2012, Rice agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens"

I think he's doing OK.

That's not the point and he won't receive the bulk of that contract. You are falling into the "screw the rich bastard" crowd.

No, I'm falling into the "screw the abusive scumbag" crowd.  Regarding "the bulk of that contract", even if he only gets paid two years' worth, that's $14M.  Why would he have to worry about making a living with $14M in the bank?

The money isn't the issue and should not be considered in the mix. The question is…… should he be stripped of his ability to make a living in his chosen profession?

Again, considering that their are men from all walks of life and in all professions that did not lose their  jobs over the same type situation.

The answer is no.
The answer is yes, if said profession is a league with behavioral clauses in its contracts with its teams and those same clauses are present in the players' contracts.
Just because he "chose" that profession does not mean he has a right to employment within it. The job belongs to the team and the league, not the player.
Ray Rice has not been "stripped of his ability to earn a living".
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, I'm falling into the "screw the abusive scumbag" crowd.  Regarding "the bulk of that contract", even if he only gets paid two years' worth, that's $14M.  Why would he have to worry about making a living with $14M in the bank?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"On July 16, 2012, Rice agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens"

I think he's doing OK.

That's not the point and he won't receive the bulk of that contract. You are falling into the "screw the rich bastard" crowd.

Because he's already spent $27M????
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I see boxing in his future.
View Quote

As long as he fights women half his size, he should do pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#36]
the issue is 7 months old..the nfl and team went back on punishments they doled out over half a year ago
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

Is that 14 total or 14 guarenteed?   I dont know the details of it, but nfl contracts are weird. Players almost never see the total amount of money from the contract.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

I'm reasonably certain that if I were to cold cock my wife on camera, not only would I be unemployed but I would most likely be incarcerated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Maybe the CFL is not so picky about woman beaters.

Jokes aside a year off is plenty good enough. After all the dumb-ass woman married him after he knocked her out.
View Quote

She didn't marry him.  She married a rather nice pay check...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#40]
He got fired for being an asshole. If I acted like an asshole in public and made my company look bad, I'd get fired too.

If he wanted to keep making money in his chosen profession he shouldn't have acted like an asshole in public.

Pretty simple.

I guess he better be careful with the money he saved up or start looking for a new job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Does he have to give back his $15 million signing bonus and his $15 million guaranteed money?

Figure he walks away with $15 million after taxes, agent fees, and entourage...if he can't live the rest of his life on that...he's a moron that should not breed.

Then again...he already is a moron that should not breed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

How the hell is he "stripped of his ability to make a living"?  If he squanders that $25M he has, he can go get a job like anyone else.  Or is the NFL the only employer out there?  Why can't he work at McDonald's?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#43]
His wife is still with him so let her decide.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
they are doing the jersey trade in for him in Baltimore.

bleacher report link

EDIT: supposedly he's out of Madden too
View Quote

Any other endorsement details?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
It's messed up what he did. But it's not the NFL ' s job to punish him. I understand they have to protect their image as do the Ravens. If I was a team owner I'd still sign him after this based on his talents and ability to be coached. His personal life is not my concern. Leave that to the law. But of course I do not condone what he did.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's messed up what he did. But it's not the NFL ' s job to punish him. I understand they have to protect their image as do the Ravens. If I was a team owner I'd still sign him after this based on his talents and ability to be coached. His personal life is not my concern. Leave that to the law. But of course I do not condone what he did.
View Quote

The NFL is not punishing him. They have not sentenced him to any jail time, restitution or community service.
What they have done is discontinued their public association with him, which is 100% their right to do.
The job Ray Rice was given within the NFL belongs to the NFL, not Ray Rice. He has no "right" to that job.
The job was his conditionally. He did not live up to those conditions. The only one "punishing" Ray Rice is Ray Rice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]
First : I'm of the opinion that if you are in a high profile job and you do stupid shit you should lose that job
Second : I'm disappointed in the internet for not having a Ray Rice .gif yet with subtitles of what Ray was saying (ie I told you that I get to push the elevator buttons...)
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#48]
This isn't a "the mean old NFL fired him for..." situation.

Try punching your gf/wife in the face and knocking her "the fuck" out, then have someone show the video to your boss and (more importantly) your female coworkers at "Company XYZ".

Nobody wants that kind of person working for them, especially if there's video someone can point to and say "look who they have working there".

I would be willing to bet at least 7 out of 10 people in this thread would be summarily shit-canned for it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't they have football in Australia?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
NOW it begins.!! N.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11500445/terry-oneill-president-national-organization-women-calls-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-resign?addata=module-b

NOW calls for Goodell's head.

I sort of want this but it seems to be on a downtrend.   People want and need the circus that is the NFL.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top