Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/13/2003 9:58:09 PM EDT
Is this for real? Those 2 pilots that bomded those canadian troops are saying that they were ordered to take drugs and that they played a role in the accident. Has anyone ever heard of this practice? The military admits that they are doctor prescrided and voluntary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:06:56 PM EDT
They are never ordered to take this drug. However pilots do have the option of using it. Some do, some don't. But when you have a 10-15 hour mission, you do what you have to in order to get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:15:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:19:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NSFJojo: ...
View Quote
Jojo on the case
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:39:55 PM EDT
Do they offer this OPTION to regular soldiers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:45:36 PM EDT
Go and No-Go Pills have been studied by the AF and Navy. Never been told to take them and but they are available to aircrews. They are not casually handed out...each pilot must sign for one missions worth of pills etc and then must see the flight doc in order to get No-go pills. Their is an operation need for some pilots. If you can imagine having to launch from a carrier for a 12 hour mission and then come back and do a night trap (hardest part of the mission)...you might want something to increase your attention span as well. This is a time proven technique with other stimulants as well...like pots of coffee to pull an all-nighter during college. I know dexamphetamine is not caffeine...but the affects are more enhanced as they are a prescription drug. Personally never had to use them...yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:48:07 PM EDT
If pilots take performance enhancing drugs, good for them, they need those types of things in high stress combat situations. Soldiers have to take drugs to stay awake or make them more alert. Of course drugs could affect their judgement, but I doubt that they were the sole cause of the friendly fire accident. my ... was to see if I still had the power to post.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:50:13 PM EDT
For some reason, I think this type of thing can be benefitial. I'm sure the services have only been "offering" it to those who may absolutely need it. Amphetamines don't necessarily cause a lapse in judgement. I would tend to think that if there was no way a combatant could get enought sleep to effectively perform the mission that needs to be performed, it would be better for them to be "high" on speed. Remember that in low to moderate doses, amphetamines act only as glorified, long-lasting caffeine. The problem comes when the "user" stops taking them and comes down. Of course, the more of the drug that is taken, the harsher the ensuing crash. This is when lack of judgement and possibly hallucinations occur. I find it incredibly hard to complete a task when I'm tired. Coffee can take care of that, to an extent. I have to admit - there have been stressful times when I wished I had something "more" than caffeine to help me perform a task. However, I know I can't take that shit because of the high rate of addiction that runs in my family. The addiction to coffee is enough!
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 11:18:22 PM EDT
The pills given to pilots are a chemical cousin of Methamphetamine. They have severe side effects. Some benificial like increased alertness and weight loss. Some dangerous like paranaio, and auditory hallucinations.
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 12:13:12 AM EDT
Most modern fighter aircraft do not have a way for the pilots to "piss". They either have to use a "piddle pack" or wear diapers. So lots of coffee is out. That's one reason why there is a "pill".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:09:21 PM EDT
??????? I found this link in my favorites folder....
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:59:54 PM EDT
Drugs are BAD, BAD, BAD!!! Except when your government wants you to take them. No drugs in school!!! Except when your teachers want you to take them, so you will sit up straight and behave the way THEY want you to behave. You fidget because you have some 4 letter disease, not because the teacher is so damn boring, so here, take this Ritalin. Duh!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:48:32 PM EDT
I saw one report that the pilot who dropped the bomb in this unfortuneate friendly fire incident had been told by the flight surgeon that he would be medically unfit to fly if he did not take stimulants.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:54:09 PM EDT
Defense smoke screen in this case. These guys blew it big time. They didn't follow rules of engagement, they weren't in a free fire zone equivalent and were supposed to get clearance. they asked and didn't wait, the Air controllers answer was to be friendlies in the area. Plus they were way too high for ground small arms to be a danger. You might be able to blame the pills if only one pilot made a major error in judgement, but both did and the grunts paid for it.
Top Top