Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My problem is the billions wasted on field trails and research, only to throw it away with something that was tested for a few months and likely did not score as high as the private company submissions, which also came with a complete family of camouflage. Just a thought.

We should have something that is substantially better and different than the world of multicam knock offs that every OPFOR and Paramilitary element in the world is using.

We'll see what happens with the 2018 Joint uniform.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.hyperstealth.com/scorpion/

It lays out the scorpion scores vs. multicam.

Multicam scored better in each area except sandy desert, where the scorpion pattern with khaki TA-50 did better (Though I imagine that was largely due to the khaki PPE)

http://www.hyperstealth.com/scorpion/Woodland-Desert-Scorpion-vs-Multicam.jpg
View Quote

I've read this study.  What those percentages mean is not entirely clear, but they're not wildly different from one another, particularly in desert and woodland environments.  More important, nothing in that link substantiates this claim that you made:  "well the original Scorpion pattern came in 2nd to last in the Army camo trials 10 years ago"

In fact, the link you provided says it did better than the previous winner, the so-called All Over Brush pattern: "Why did the Army decide to go with Scorpion in the Phase IV effort? It preformed well enough overall to garner two of the top 10 spots in this test - one with matching PPE and one with Multicam PPE, outperforming both the Multibrush and Desert Brush pattern in overall effectiveness which was their (Army owned patterns) top contender in previous Natick testing."
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Everyone should quit opining about copyright and patent violations unless you're a lawyer or a member of the patent bar.  This is all complicated stuff, sometimes your customer keeps the intellectual property of what you give them and sometimes not--this was an issue in Colt's trademark of the M4 and the government's sharing of the patented plans with other manufacturers--and it's all negotiated by the big boys.  

Here the government had obtained scorpion, owned the rights, and could tweak the pattern however they wanted, which is what they did to make OCP2.  Crye did the same thing earlier and made a new pattern called Multicam.  Crye wanted to continue to extract licensing fees from the government use of Multicam and the government--our government, our money remember--wanted more freedom to do with the pattern as it will. The patterns are virtually identical in look and effectiveness, so for everyone who thinks Multicam is a good thing, we got a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My problem is the billions wasted on field trails and research, only to throw it away with something that was tested for a few months and likely did not score as high as the private company submissions, which also came with a complete family of camouflage. Just a thought.

We should have something that is substantially better and different than the world of multicam knock offs that every OPFOR and Paramilitary element in the world is using.

We'll see what happens with the 2018 Joint uniform
View Quote

Or we wont is my guess
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Breaking new ground with this post OP.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got the Scorpion V2 500d DWR fabric I ordered from www.Rockywoods.com , who started with about 50yds, and was gone in about 2 days. A May 2014 production lot. I couldn't find any misprints or faults in the polyurethane backcoating so I assume this is from pilot lot production by one of the fabric printers, possibly even Duro Industries. The V2 appears to use the same base roller as Multicam, with the sunlight splotch roller altered, the tree branch roller omitted.

The roller index side is marked as follows:

Pattern repeat areas being compared, each circled in same color 550 cord:

Pattern Comparison Area1:

Pattern Comparison Area2:

Pattern Comparison Area3:

Now the next question I have is, will a new webbing print roller be made with the sunlight portion altered or, will the official webbing match be the ugly POS knock-off color tape developed by Natick a couple years ago to save money:

My suspicion is this is going to be the tape, educated guess from notes by Murdock Webbing that they are developing a 4-color OCP Jacquard-style webbing, which is the camo pattern is achieved by weaving in of the various colored yarns in the specific pattern instead of printing ink onto tape dyed in the camo pattern's lightest color.

Jacquard style Multicam webbing at OC Tactical (not my store nor any affiliation)

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
We'll see what happens in 2018 when there is a push for joint everything... lol
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top