Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 7:29:20 PM EDT
I've searched many books on the origins of various terms, and one internet searches (though I'm not as good at this as most) to find the origin of the term 86'd. As in getting kicked out of a bar (or whatever else).

Anyone here have the answer?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
never searched but always wondered. enlighten me please.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly, it was the address of a Speakeasy in Chicago during Prohibition!

It was No. 86 'something' Street. When you looked up the number in the city directory, there was no such number on that street.

So to '86' something, simply meant that it wasn't there....

Eric The(OrSoI'veBeenTold!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm I asked this same question-here- brb
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw a special on the history channel I believe.  The speakeasy was equipped with emergency liquor disposal devices that would drop the bottles from the bar into a trap door which deposited the bottles in the sewer.  The fuzz showed up and they 86ed the booze... it went buh bye!
View Quote

from some review on Amazon...
After viewing a History Channel production of "Secret Passages" I was told that the tavern-lore term, "86", originated in the '20's speak-easy, Chumley's, at 86 Bedford Street in New York City. Initially, while the police raided the bar through the back door, regular customers were encouraged to "Go 86," which meant to flee through the front door. After repeated raids, hidden doors and passages allowed the favored customers to escape through other exits, leaving the tourists as bait for law enforcement.
View Quote

There is more info out there. Or someone will come up with the definitive answer. This [i]is[/i] the Internet after all...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Send an e-mail to maill call and see if they use it on the show.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]www.wordorigins.org[/url] corroborates the speakeasy story.  it offers some other suggestions, too.  check it out.  it's got some etymology for catch-22, too.

edit:  .org not .com
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
86'd may have some of its origin from Article 86 of the UCMJ, unauthorized absent, or awol.

Has anyone else heard of this possible origin?

Bilster
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top