Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/26/2002 8:18:58 PM EDT
I got some christmas money and some best buy gift cards laying around and I want to upgrade the sound on my PC. My computer system: Intel celeron 1.8ghz asus p4333 mobo 512 mb ddr ram nvidia mx-420 64mb agp card 40gb ata133 maxtor diamond max I was looking at the new soundblaster audigy 2 card, its like $100 after rebate and they sell it at best buy where i have my gift cards. I really dont know much about sound cards though, the speakers that came with my computer are cheesy and i want new ones. probably just a 2.1 set up for now, i dont really need surround sound on my computer but im open to it...so what do u guys recommend?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:46:34 PM EDT
I'm not up on sound cards, but I've got Harman/Kardon speakers with subwoofer and they have excellent sound.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2002 8:56:50 PM EDT by Sniper_Wolfe]
I know this stuff, I've been looking around for new speakers and a new sound card but don't have the cash (going to an AR). VERY nice setup, especially the large amount of RAM (WAY more important than your actual processor, IMO). Altec Lansing makes the best-sounding speakers, IMO. SoundBlaster Audigy soundcards are THE best, and they make different types to suit your needs. Any one will work fine. your best bet for gaming is a 4.1/5.1 sound system, which can be found at Wal*Mart, Best Buy, etc. Just make sure that if you get a 4.1/5.1, you get an Audigy or other GOOD sound card. If, however, you merely want a decent 2.1 speaker system, you don't need one of those fancy Audigy cards, a simpler, cheaper card will do the trick...If you need anything else, just IM me. Oh, and also plan to spend about $100 for the speakers and $100 for the sound card, if you want the nice stuff. You could probably get by with an $80 or less grand total for the cheaper stuff, but then again you wanted an upgrade, didn't you? Edit: Creative also makes very nice stuff, they're the people who make SoundBlasters. If you see a good deal on a Creative system, don't hesitate to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:43:04 PM EDT
if there is a frys electronics near you, go there. spend most of the cash on the speakers. altec lansing are pretty sweet. i have 2 pair at home and a pair at work. the base kicks some serious butt. you might be able to find a 5.1 card for 20 bucks at frys. later lojack
Top Top