Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2001 5:08:34 AM EDT
Yeah , I know ...what else is new?
It seems like Knox has a point with these amendments. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  

The way I voted was to consider the officially endoresd NRA position and vote opposite of that.

Same for directors.  Vote only for those that do not have NRA endorsement.  I think I voted for Ted and Ollie and 2 others.  Don't fill up your ballet you don't have to vote for 14 or what ever it is directors.  Just no more than that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
By the time I got my ballot, it was already too late to vote (admittedly I live overseas). Maybe the NRA leadership is studying the techniques of the Democrats?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought as much. In Heston's opposition statement he made a reference to "Knox and his band of dissidents..." What's up with that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Adam,
My ballot said that it can be received no later than April, 29, 2001. Unless yours is different you still have time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Adam,
My ballot said that it can be received no later than April, 29, 2001. Unless yours is different you still have time.
View Quote

Okay, I obviously misread something!! Now what did i do with that ballot...

Why are you looking at me....

Why is everybody laughing at me???...

Seriously though, I am going to pull my foot out of my mouth and go a lookin' - hope I didn't throw the ballot away.

Adam
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I think Knox is more in tune with the rest of the membership.  I was able to attend the 99 (98?) meeting in Phidelphia.  It was truly a shame to hear the people on the podium attack Neal Knox.  He is probably the most dedicated, tireless, uncompromising defender of our rights.  

The NRA leadership has, IMNSHO, gotten entirely too comfortable with their $100,000+ a year paychecks and the kickbacks that Neal's amendments will end.

These amendments are worth voting FOR.

Thanks for reading,
Norm
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Where are the Ballot...? Can't we vote both? As long we all believes in the same meaning.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote 100% Knox.  The fact that the antis hate him more than Hillary hates Monica tells me he's on the right track.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
So what do you think of Heston in all of this?
He throws (at least his name is at the bottom of the statement) some inflammatory remarks in Knox's and his band of dissidents direction.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Taz,  the ballot comes in your [i]American Rifleman[/i] or [i]Hunter[/i]  You have to be at least a five year menber.  Used to be life menmbers only.  The ballots came out a couple of months ago, Feb IIRC.  You can also vote at the annual meetings, if you're lucky enough to be there in person.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info. I think I have it.....

NRA Directors - bad

Knox and Co.  - good

[:D]

Link Posted: 4/18/2001 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Not necessarily bad.  Just a little too comfortable, pulled back from the edge as they are.  Marion Hammer, et al, can still give a pretty decent speech.  I just don't like her internal politics.  She's been paid too well for too long and now thinks she deserves it without question.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
KNOX ROCKS
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Neal Knox is DA MAN!!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I am about over the NRA. I have been a member for over a year and they still have yet to send me a membership card. Hell, I didn't even get my magazine subsciption until like two months ago. I have called over and over and over, but to no avail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]
if NRA directors are BAD, does this make Ted Nugent the exception to the rule?
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Ted is probably an exception to most rules.  I'm not much on his style of music, but I like his politics, his attitude and his new book.  [:D]

He's one director I didn't mind voting for.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
WTF?  So you need to be a member for 5 years before you can vote, even if youre a life member?  I signed up about 2 yrs ago, and went straight for the life membership, but apparentlly don't get to vote.  That kind of pisses me off.

I can see the reason for the 5 years, but would think the life membership would overrule that because of how much it costs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a bit uncomfortable with Ted Nugent as NRA spokesman.  He is an interesting guy, but sometimes his behavior is atrocious.  Consider what he did to some of the bootleg t-shirt salesmen he caught outside one of his concerts.  He confiscated their merchandise and stopped just short of assaulting them.  Ted also hates Napster and considers online music trading theft.  What does this have to do with his stance on guns?  Simple.  He can't get his ideology straight.  Freedom in one context is not the same as freedom on another.  What Ted really is saying is that he wants to be the one to decide what is what.  That's the same trap that our elected leaders, and the leadership of the NRA, appear to have fallen into.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#22]
HKer,
You most definitely get to vote. You should have received a Ballot in your March 2001 issue of whatever mag you chose. Check it out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with Ted Nugent as NRA spokesman.  He is an interesting guy, but sometimes his behavior is atrocious.  Consider what he did to some of the bootleg t-shirt salesmen he caught outside one of his concerts.  He confiscated their merchandise and stopped just short of assaulting them.  Ted also hates Napster and considers online music trading theft.  What does this have to do with his stance on guns?  Simple.  He can't get his ideology straight.  Freedom in one context is not the same as freedom on another.  What Ted really is saying is that he wants to be the one to decide what is what.  That's the same trap that our elected leaders, and the leadership of the NRA, appear to have fallen into.
View Quote

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that copyrights, patents, and the like are the same as regular property rights. If you build something with your own muscles and/or brain, that's your property and other people shouldn't be able to take it without your permission. I don't see any conflict with freedom there, as without secure property rights freedom can't exist.

But Nugent does make some crude statements sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Freedom in the one sense means being able to do, say, think, and be whatever you want so long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights or well being. Free downloads of copyrighted material is NOT freedom!!!  It's akin to theft.
Think of it this way. If you invented a widget and got it patented, would you want someone else to bring it to market and become rich without paying you a dime for your effort? Thought not. Same thing with copyrights. Granted, Napster users aren't getting rich off their downloads, but they are circumventing paying the people that created the product they are stealing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nugent was right on in his treatment of the bootleg t-shirt salesmen. If they want to make money off his image then they should have to pay the licensing fees-anything less is THEFT. Napster users who download music without paying for it fall into the same category if the musician is not willingly giving it away. To me they share the whiney liberal mentality of wanting everything handed to them and not having to pay for it.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad to see that most people here know what is going on at NRA headquarters.  There are people that I respect who don't exactly adore Neal Knox (Robert K. Brown comes to mind), but Knox would be my choice as the head of any gun-rights organization.  As far as Napster, their ridiculous arguments do nothing but brainwash even more Americans in believing that they are entitled to the property of others.  Back to the NRA:  We need to make Neal Knox president, and hire the guy at Fred's (of Shotgun News fame)as Chief of Righteous Propaganda.  Word.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top