Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 9:21:13 AM EDT
Which should I get?  I was thinking about a Honda 250EX versus a 300EX 4 stroke.  The 250 is a lot less and the lowest I have seen is $2900 plus tax and license.  The part that kills me is the prep charge.  Depending on the dealer its anywhere from free to $500-700 dollars extra.  I can sell you my preban AR15 for $10 plus a $1850 cleaning and storage fee!  Bah humbug!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Two stroke: faster, simpler.

Four stoke: longer life.

If you're mechanically inclined and enjoy perfoming top-end maintenance, go for the two stroke.

If you want something you don't have to bother with (beyond normal maintenance), go for the four stroke.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
 4-stroke.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#4]
2stroke=young folk
4stroke=old folk
If your going to use it in the woods go 4stroke
Long basically flat trails, 2stroke
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=Sportrax+250EX&ModelYear=2003&ModelId=TRX250EX3

Honda EX 250 and 300 are both 4 stroke. The biggest difference is the 250 is automatic clutch, based on the Recon with revised cam and timing, and no racks. Had a Recon for a couple of years. Lots of fun but the big CC war always wins out!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You failed to mention what kind of riding you intend - and that is the critical factor.

I have a Dune config Yamaha Banshee - In the sand I rule! - Now, I can swap out my paddles for knobbies, but that still won't do me much good trying to tow something through a mud bog.

BTW - I want to get a Warrior as a dual purpose and loaner/guest ride. (Electric start & reverse for the lazy loafers)
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice guys!  I was told the the 250 was a 2 stroke.  I am just a basic rider.  There are nice hill trails near my girlfriends parents near Ludington Michigan. Nice ups and downs and twisties.  Not many flats.  I was going to get the 400cc version but besides the cost, I almost killed myself even with a 125.  I didnt realize how much air I could get off a little hill.  My girlfriends kid said I was at least 8 feet in the air.  I landed it solid but so did my ankle. High ankle sprain that took almost a year to fully heal!  Now I know why you guys where those boots!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate having to mix the gas.  4 stroke.

Honda did make a 2 stroke 250 back in the 80's.  250R I think it's called, and they're still popular for making all out racing quads.

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Yamaha, Big Bear 400,2 wheel drive, plenty of power, lots of low end torqe, great for pulling, can anywhere a 4 wheel drive can go.

The Hondas are faster, but you will pay more. HTH.

[img]http://fototime.com/03C77EA2B52B1FB/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]
4 stroke! like it or not, 2 stroke vehicles are on their way to being banned outright. ATV's, snowmobiles, PWC's and dirt bikes. A 4 stroke will save you in the long run.
And look around for a good used one, screw the dealer prep. charges. Since the majority of ATV's never get driven, and not hard if they do, it should be easy to find a 1-2 yr old rig with 20-25 miles on it and still be under "warranty".
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
There are very few 2stroke ATVs being built these days. Personally, the only one I can think of is the Yamaha Blaster (200cc).

The Honda 300EX is an excellent choice. It has a tremenous reputation. There was a legend floating around in the off-road community that some biker-bar stole one, and was going to sacrifice it. The bikers had the throttle pinned to see how long it would take to blow the engine. After a 1/2 hr., the story said they drained the oil and waited for another 1/2 hr. before the thing melted.

The 400EX is also an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
They are finally starting to get some good 4 stroke technolgy on to the quads now. I've got a Grizzly.

It has a 660cc Liquid Cooled, 5 valve motor. The thing will do about 70 mph, and its a Utility. Its little brother the Raptor, has the same motor, but 2 carbs. Even more performance. They seem to respond pretty good to pipes/jetts too, although not nearly as good as a two stroke.

LS1, What kind of riding do you want to do? The Big Bear would be a fine choice for you, or maybe a Kodiak 400 if you want 4x4. It all depends on the riding style you have. The most important thing to do, is get out and test ride as many quads as you can. Decide what YOU like.

Wobblin, There are a few more 2-strokes than you might think. The Blaster is one, but there is the Banshee, Gas Gas makes a 300cc two stroke, and Bombardier(sp) makes a 2 stroke sport quad. They are however being phazed out.

-Jared

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wobblin, There are a few more 2-strokes than you might think. The Blaster is one, but there is the Banshee, Gas Gas makes a 300cc two stroke, and Bombardier(sp) makes a 2 stroke sport quad. They are however being phazed out.
View Quote

Ah, yes, the Banshee, how could I have forgotten it. Wasn't that a twin-cylinder?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
And Polaris...

Banshee is the RD350LC motor from about 82
2 cyl, 2 carb, 2 stroke, too fast and too much fun!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
A Warrior is way too underpowered to do anything with except go on fireroads or flat surfaces.
It can't climb hills, it can't do mud, it can't do sand.
It's a great little putt around quad.

If I had a job and the cash I would buy the Kawzuki KFX400/Z400 (it's the same quad, yellow for Suzuki, green for Kawasaki).

If you want a two wheel drive performance quad without a lot of thinking (or maintenance) then the new Kawasaki KFX700 is a good quad to look at. Shaft drive, variable automatic drive transmission, a v-twin motor.

Quoted:
You failed to mention what kind of riding you intend - and that is the critical factor.

I have a Dune config Yamaha Banshee - In the sand I rule! - Now, I can swap out my paddles for knobbies, but that still won't do me much good trying to tow something through a mud bog.

BTW - I want to get a Warrior as a dual purpose and loaner/guest ride. (Electric start & reverse for the lazy loafers)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I second the four stroke. I had a 4Trax 300 and there was noplace me and her could't go. Get yourself a couple 2 1/2 gallon plastic tanks for extra fun... just bungee 'em down on the rack!!

2 stroke - speed
4 stroke - torque
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A Warrior is way too underpowered to do anything with except go on fireroads or flat surfaces.
It can't climb hills, it can't do mud, it can't do sand.
It's a great little putt around quad.

If I had a job and the cash I would buy the Kawzuki KFX400/Z400 (it's the same quad, yellow for Suzuki, green for Kawasaki).

If you want a two wheel drive performance quad without a lot of thinking (or maintenance) then the new Kawasaki KFX700 is a good quad to look at. Shaft drive, variable automatic drive transmission, a v-twin motor.
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

I agree that a warrior is marginal in power - it needs paddles to make use of what it does have in sand. - But its for newbie/guests and a backup if one of the others units has problems. They have been almost unchanged during the sales run so I might pick up a older year model with very low hours fairly cheap.  I would not feel safe letting a novice on my Banshee, they might not be able to handle it if it came on the pipe at the wrong instant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top