Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 11:08:57 PM EDT
Ill be staying in a condo on a slope somewhere in Breckenridge Colorado in January.  Anybody know laws for open carry there?  

I gave the Breckenridge PD a call but the deputy was clueless and offered me the law for carrying a firearm in a vehicle.  When I told him I wanted to carry on my person he freaked out, said there was a law for it, and then he told that they "sincerely ask" that I dont carry on my person.

He then told me he'd look it up and give me a call back.

Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Warning! I am not a lawyer!

That being said, the Colorado State constitution does not explicitly prohibit concealed carry, so unless Breckenridge prohibits it, you could theoretically get away with it. HOWEVER, alot of sheriffs will charge you with disturbance if you open carry. I personally wouldn't but if you decide to, let us know how it goes...

Edited to add,

Oh, and will you be wearing a jacket around town? If it covers your gun, you've just gone concealed. You might also call the Summit County Sheriff's Office to check.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Top:

I'm just over the hill!  Again, I'm no lawyer but....

Open carry is probably legal.  There are a couple of people around here that carry openly but that is the exception rather than the rule.  LEO's are very nervous about open carry.

The Kingdom of Breckenridge is pretty left-leaning.  While in the area, check out Yankee Traders on main street Frisco.  High prices, but they carry class3 stuff and 50's.

With all the tourists, Breck is pretty safe unless you consider the prices.  Vehicle carry is permissible.  CO also has a "Make my Day" law, allowing the use of deadly force for the protection of property.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
try here.

[url]http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/colorado[/url]

txlewis
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I carried open for about 12 years before Ky enacted its CCW. I never had any type of trouble at all. A few looks and some people asked if I was LEO. Never arrested, never jumped, nada. I think it is more important to have a gun when you need it then to worry about if it is concealed or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top