Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2002 10:56:11 PM EDT
Perhaps some of you might remember this thread from a couple months ago?[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=149582&w=searchPop]Skinheads beat man to death in Phoenix[/url]

Well in this mornings Arizona Republic there was a interesting follow up story: [url=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/1222arrest22.html]Father of murdered man persuades suspect to surrender[/url]

Two months after his son was beaten to death outside a Phoenix pool hall, Cole Bailey Sr. sat across from one of the suspects in a Denny's booth and persuaded him to surrender to police.

Christopher Whitley, 24, was arrested at the restaurant at 3308 W. Grand Ave. at about 5 p.m. Saturday and was booked later on several charges, including first-degree murder, said Sgt. Randy Force, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Three suspects were identified in connection with the Oct. 16 beating death of Cole Bailey Jr. Police arrested Brandon Miller, 24, in October on a charge of first-degree murder. Sammy Compton, 26, is still at large.

Bailey Jr., 20, had gone to River City Pockets at 11th Street and Bell Road in Phoenix to inquire about a job. He was beaten to death when a fight spilled outside the bar.

Bailey Sr. told the media that if police didn't find the suspects, someone else would. Two days after the killing, he hired investigators.

He said he tracked Whitley through Washington, Oregon and California.

"Anywhere that harbored him, I was there," he said. "There was no place for him to go, nowhere to eat, basically nowhere to hide."

Whitley agreed to meet with Bailey on Saturday. He made "no denials, no admissions" and "seemed to offer condolences," the father said. "He was just tired of being chased."

Force said that Whitely had contacted police earlier this month, indicating he would turn himself in. Saturday's meeting with Bailey gave him the opportunity.

"Police can only handle so many cases," Bailey said. "But my focus is only on one."
View Quote

Wow. He hired his own posse and tracked this guy down through multiple states. And he finally got tired of running, came back to Phoenix and turned himself in.

But how did he keep from killing that fucker when he was sitting opposite from him in that Dennys?

Mr. Cole Bailey Sr. is surely a rare breed in these days. And he isn't finished, there is still one more suspect out there on the run.
[img]http://www.adl.org/learn/news/compton.jpg[/img]
Sammy Compton 26, also has "White Pride" tattooed across his back. All three were part of a white supremicist gang called "Stoners for Life"
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding.  And what compassion.  We could all learn something about persistence and compassion from this story!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for Bailey Sr!  I would have liked to have seen the reaction of the Phoenix P.D. when they heard that the victim's father was in contact with one of the perps, face to face.  Anyone know if the investigators are getting closer to Compton?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
No there was no word on wether either the police or Bailey's PI's know where Compton is. It doesn't mean they don't have a idea, they just didn't say and apparently he isn't fed up running.

Compton is the oldest of the three and has the longest criminal record. He is looking at either life without parole or the table. He may therefore not be as tired of running yet. And he may know more gang people and have more resources to shelter him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, the father showed restraint I'm not sure I'd possess for the murderer of his son. Hope this POS goes away for a long long time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
... Talk about cool!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
bumped for people on pacific coast time
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Compassion my fucking ass!When somebody kills your son compassion is for pussies.I'd rot in hell before I'd sit across the table from my sons killer and "persuade him to surrender"
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... I'd rot in hell before I'd sit across the table from my sons killer and "persuade him to surrender"
View Quote

... Unfortunately, you'd probably rot in prison for a long time first.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Outstanding.  And what compassion.  We could all learn something about persistence and compassion from this story!
View Quote

Yep!!

Don't know if I could've shown the "compassion" part though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Ya' gotta figure though, how much better it would have been for this guy if the father had just killed him than for him to be tossed into prison with a 70-80% black/hispanic population with the words "White Pride" tattooed across his back. [:D]

As far as the father, I haven't seen that much self-control since Ron Goldman's father at OJ's acquittal.

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Was the kid who was murdered white?
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#12]
What a stud!  Rare breed these days.

Agree with The Macallen here, white power boy is gonna be "bitch numbah one" in the AZ prison system.  He'll be wishing he was dead a thousand times over.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should that matter?

I have three kids. If anybody ever tries to hurt any of them, it wouldn't matter what color they (or we) are, I only hope I can find Mr Bailey's self-control.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT with the hope that someone will recognize Compton and drop a dime on his ass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#15]
police will probably detain him and threaten arrest for interfering w/ an investigation.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Hadn't thought of that. Hope he's not harrassed for being a vigilante.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#17]
He made sure that there was a reporter from the Republic sitting in the next booth with the PI he hired. That makes it kind of hard for the PD or the County Attorney to take action against him without a lot of negative publicity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm impressed with that guy.

Reminds me of the story of the guy who had the media present when the FBI visited him at home to discuss his AR during the sniper shooting earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I'd rot in hell before I'd sit across the table from my sons killer and "persuade him to surrender"
View Quote

... Unfortunately, you'd probably rot in prison for a long time first.
View Quote

I didn't mean to imply I would kill him there in the restaurant full of witnesses.One thing people overlook is the fact that it's about impossible to be convicted of murder if there's no body.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Should that matter?

I have three kids. If anybody ever tries to hurt any of them, it wouldn't matter what color they (or we) are, I only hope I can find Mr Bailey's self-control.....
View Quote

Did I say it mattered?

I'm trying to determine if it was racially motivated.

You sure are quick to think the worst of people.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Stoners for life?? It sounds like they should call themselves Bitch for life - hope he enjoys prison ;o)

NOTE - when trying to make a case for your race please refrain from punk ass names.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Necessary Ingredients

darkness
tarp
shovel
thoroughly scouted wilderness

doom on the guy who tries this shit on my kids
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Christopher Whitley sitting on a bench before prison.  (_._)

Christopher Whitley sitting on a bench after prison.  (_O_)
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Necessary Ingredients

darkness
tarp
shovel
thoroughly scouted wilderness

doom on the guy who tries this shit on my kids
View Quote

" I've got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anyone will miss you..."
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn. I can't believe that the father had that much self control.

That being said, it is a sad fact that the father would be in prison right now if he had implemented the justice on this shitbag that he deserves.

I hope that the other fuckhead is caught soon.

Oh, and "skinheads" in a gang called "stoners for life"? What a couple of dirtbags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top