Quoted:

That part, you missed it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't do weekly maintenance, either. Just check fluids before I drive and I do drive that car most of the spring, summer, and fall. Change the oil and everything else just like I would any other car. A properly maintained car doesn't need nearly that much attention. If so, why own it?

So you don't do maintenance while doing maintenance. Sweet! You guys should get together for an engine build.

Much Knowledge

So Pro

Very Fast

I saw it, I just didn't know whether or not to believe that or the second part of your comment.  

ETA: Not even worth talking to you guys with babyshit mills. You claim to check your car before driving but, never do weekly maintenance. Then claim it requires no more attention then a normal car. Which is it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I saw it, I just didn't know whether or not to believe that or the second part of your comment.  

ETA: Not even worth talking to you guys with babyshit mills. You claim to check your car before driving but, never do weekly maintenance. Then claim it requires no more attention then a normal car. Which is it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't do weekly maintenance, either. Just check fluids before I drive and I do drive that car most of the spring, summer, and fall. Change the oil and everything else just like I would any other car. A properly maintained car doesn't need nearly that much attention. If so, why own it?

So you don't do maintenance while doing maintenance. Sweet! You guys should get together for an engine build.

Much Knowledge

So Pro

Very Fast

I've never had to do weekly maintenance to anything, and I sure wouldn't own shit like that.

You SHOULD occasionally check your fluid levels and tire pressure, no matter WHAT you drive.

Course, that's common sense, which these days isn't very common. Apparently.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have owned classic cars my entire life. My first vehicle was and still is (Still own it) a 1965 Ford F-100. After that a 1965 Ford Galaxie500XL Convertible. I now own a 1968 Dodge Charger....

So I have been "Making these run" my entire life.

Here is what you are looking for, and what my experience has been while driving old rigs as real life daily drivers. First and foremost, EFI!!!!   Let me make that larger for you:   EFI!

EFI Will be the single most labor saving upgrade on these old vehicles. Beyond that is wiring. If you get these two areas perfect, and modernized, the rest is no differant than whats on the road now. Bearings are bearings, Tires are tires, the rest of the car is not a problem overall.

I drove my 1965 Ford Galaxie in California for the 4 years I was in the Marines and was constantly working on it, because I was young and dumb.

I think if I would have left it alone, it would have been just fine honestly.

With todays fuel, EFI is what you are after in these classics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with a classic truck.  People with classic cars always wish they could haul enough beer and steaks for the entire weekend.....and a motorsickle.

Having done this several times, even if you start with a free project vehicle, you will be balls deep at $30000 in a year if you do it right and don't milk the project into never-get-doneness.  All parts and materials, no labor.

I went low buck with this one.  $20K into the wind.  When I decided to keep it, the last $10 went into it:

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have owned classic cars my entire life. My first vehicle was and still is (Still own it) a 1965 Ford F-100. After that a 1965 Ford Galaxie500XL Convertible. I now own a 1968 Dodge Charger....

So I have been "Making these run" my entire life.

Here is what you are looking for, and what my experience has been while driving old rigs as real life daily drivers. First and foremost, EFI!!!!   Let me make that larger for you:   EFI!

EFI Will be the single most labor saving upgrade on these old vehicles. Beyond that is wiring. If you get these two areas perfect, and modernized, the rest is no differant than whats on the road now. Bearings are bearings, Tires are tires, the rest of the car is not a problem overall.

I drove my 1965 Ford Galaxie in California for the 4 years I was in the Marines and was constantly working on it, because I was young and dumb.

I think if I would have left it alone, it would have been just fine honestly.

With todays fuel, EFI is what you are after in these classics.
View Quote

I haven't gone EFI. A lot of people talk about it and I see the benefits of it, but I'd feel like I killed part of the car if I did that. That is entirely just my opinion and I won't argue anyone to do one or the other.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
search "pro touring".

That sounds like the ticket for you.  

ebay.com
pro-touring.com
lateral-g.net

"RestoMod"
Start here.
http://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z280/azc1967/IMG_0507.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z280/azc1967/IMG_1482_zps5b6c9331.jpg

More, please!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't gone EFI. A lot of people talk about it and I see the benefits of it, but I'd feel like I killed part of the car if I did that. That is entirely just my opinion and I won't argue anyone to do one or the other.
View Quote

I'm curious as to why you think that. Not arguing, just wondering.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want a cruiser it doesn't get any cooler than this. 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/mrkma/lincoln_zps6bec3852.jpg
View Quote

one of my favorite cars hands down for some time now
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My pussy is so wet right now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
old cars are fun, but they are work.
The new engine is almost done for summertime

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/sixgunsblazing/Mobile%20Uploads/CA0FB898-C7EC-4C29-9FF5-245CF2E68BFF_zpsbowqudlt.jpg

My pussy is so wet right now

This piqued my curiosity... Do go on... LMAO
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the motor is a 1967 and it did not have EFI. It wasn't until last year that it was rebuilt and I wasn't going to change it.

ETA: I like having to pump the throttle if I haven't driven the car in a week. I like sweet talking it to start. I enjoy the complexity and originality. I truly know my car. No check engine light, no flashing lights. Do I dare say, "it has soul?"
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you thought about any of the more modern day collectibles? Perhaps the 1985-87 Buick Grand National or 1994-96 Chevrolet Impala SS?

1985-1987 Grand National

1994-1996 Chevy Impala SS
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you thought about any of the more modern day collectibles? Perhaps the 1985-87 Buick Grand National or 1994-96 Chevrolet Impala SS?

1985-1987 Grand National
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/10/10/12/50/1987_buick_grand_national-pic-29648.jpeg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/lil_pendejo/IMG_20130715_155241_920.jpg
View Quote

Sexy
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have lusted after the things on this website for quite some time:   Icon Broncos, FJs and pickup trucks
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

More, please!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
search "pro touring".

That sounds like the ticket for you.  

ebay.com
pro-touring.com
lateral-g.net

"RestoMod"
Start here.
http://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z280/azc1967/IMG_0507.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z280/azc1967/IMG_1482_zps5b6c9331.jpg

More, please!

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

1985-1987 Grand National

View Quote

I have owned an Impala SS and always wanted a GN or GNX both nice fun cars you don't see everywhere. I do prefer a convertible though. My last toy was a 1972 GMC Jimmy (full convertible) that I installed a 2005 chevy 5.3 LS out of a suburban with a 4 speed automatic behind it. It changed the truck into a very reliable 15-20 MPG worry free vehicle. I had it for 5 years and it was time for a change so I sold it and bought a 2001 convertible vette.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sexy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1985-1987 Grand National
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/10/10/12/50/1987_buick_grand_national-pic-29648.jpeg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/lil_pendejo/IMG_20130715_155241_920.jpg

Sexy

I wondered back when these came out how they would hold up.
I haven't seen many original examples out there.
most have been totally rebuilt already, with no mention of the computer controlers in the rebuild articles I have read.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Go to some local shows and look around without your wallet . Near me in Atlanta is at least one dealer in just what you describe . There are at least 2 in Tampa . Car shows are where you start . Also if the Hot Rod Power tour is near you go to a stop. Carlisle Pa. Has 3-4 massive car shows a year
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine.

1967 Ford Mustang coupe resto-mod:
- 351 Cleveland 4V
- Holley Avenger 4-barrel
- Hooker headers
- Ford top loader transmission with close ratio, Centerforce clutch, Hurst Competition Plus shifter
- Mild cam
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- 9-inch Ford rear-end with 3.50:1 gears, 28 spline axle, posi-traction
- front power disc and rear drum brakes
- American Racing 15x7 bullet-style wheels

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much anything from the GM G-body line makes a great platform for a restomod or pro-touring build.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]

I skipped through some of the thread before posting so apologies if some if this has been covered...

Does it have to be older? I love the looks and raw simplicity of the old sheetmetal from the 50's to early 70's but they're not as impressive performance wise anymore. Most of the power numbers were grossly inflated until about '72 but by that time all the emissions controls hit and everything really sucked hard. Most newer Japanese econobox sedans perform better than most of the old muscle cars, are orders of magnitude more reliable, and fuel efficient.

If you don't know a lot about cars and just want something to drive and enjoy I would highly recommend looking into something newer with fuel injection. By the 1980's fuel injection and better manufacturing standards made vehicles so much more reliable and the drive ability (brakes, chassis etc) is light years ahead of those old cars.

The '86-87 Buick Grand National is a great choice. I just sold mine in December. Depending on the condition they can range from less then $10k to ~$20k for a really low mileage mint one. If you're in the $40-50k range you could easily buy a '97 Buick GNX (only 547 made). Those have pretty much only appreciated in value or at least not gone down lately.

An '88-93 Fox body 5.0L Mustang is another great choice. The sky's the limit with a car like that for modifications and there's tons of them around.

A GMC Scylone or Typhoon would be another really cool choice and you don't see a lot of them anymore.

C4 corvette might a fun option too.

There's a bunch of really cool import options from the 70's-90's as well but i'm assuming you want more american muscle so i'll leave them out for the time being.

I used to love owning older vehicles and working on them. After about 10 years that got old. I like *driving* cars not constantly working on them to sort out all the little problems with carbs, timing and god knows what else that decided to rust out, stop working or just fall off.

It's a tough balance finding something that not *too* nice because you won't want to drive it much to risk putting miles on it and killing the value or just finding something that's a clapped out piece of junk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I just want to find a streetable project that works well with 2.5-3" exhaust and runs low 13s, or a nice older 4x4 truck pre emissions
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top