Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 4:16:40 PM EDT
I was waiting for my flight at LAX and decided to use American Airlines computer in the club to check the ar15.com boards to kill some time. A message popped up that stated this was a restricted website that was disallowed by American Airlines. I went on some other websites that some find much more offensive and it let me in just fine.  
I know the computers are owned by American, and they can restrict what they want, but I pay a lot of money every year to be a member of that club and think it sucks that they will not even allow me to check my e-mail because it has an AR15 in the title.
It is small choices like this that turn the customer off, and with the Airlines going out of business, they should watch their step.
I talked with the club manager and they said it was a "corporate policy."
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i think there is another web site that goes directly to ar15.com.  Not sure but Jobs.com or something like that.  I'm sure someone will point you in that direction.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Content filtering.

There's an org setup that daily updates the records for this huge database.

Most of firewalls use this database to keep people out.

Try this next time to see if maybe AA content filter doesn't work by IP address.

http://jobrelatedstuff.com/

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I was trying to research sextants and was restricted from "sexual content websites."  Uh, a sextant is used for navigational purposes.  Dumb asses.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe if they cut out the clubs and internet access, they could save some money!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Draft a letter and send to their corporate headquarters stating your displeasure in their censorship. I'd advise them that you'll tell every friend, relative and business associate you can, to go to another carrier. After that I'm sure nothing will happen but at least you'll get it out of your system.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks, I had no idea about the other website address, that one will go on my work computer as well.
As for closing the clubs, they closed all the clubs that were losing money.  For people like me who travel 100-150 times per year they are a great place to get work done while waiting on your flight that may or may not take off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://jobrelatedstuff.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
They mainly block the IP, so the other urls won't work either. The filtering software is up to date on this concept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top