Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/17/2002 11:13:37 AM EDT
I'd take THEIR laws in a heartbeat! [:(] [url]http://www.nj.com/statehouse/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1040109719210290.xml[/url] Senate gives nod to 'smart gun' bill Futuristic legislation aimed at child safety Tuesday, December 17, 2002 BY TOM HESTER Star-Ledger Staff Five years after it was first introduced in the Legislature as a futuristic way to protect children from shooting accidents, the Senate yesterday gave final legislative approval to a bill that would make New Jersey the first state to require the sale of handguns that can only be fired by their owners. The upper house approved the the bill, which would mandate "smart gun" technology -- once it is developed. The measure passed, 29-5, with 6 abstentions. Gov. James E. McSleazy, who came under fire from both sides of the debate after he was accused of striking a deal with the National Rifle Association to scuttle the "smart gun" legislation, said he will sign the bill quickly. His aides could not provide a date yesterday. "I commend the Senate and the Assembly on the passage of the Child Proof Handgun legislation," he said in a brief comment. "I look forward to signing the legislation." Bryan Miller, director of Ceasefire Cocksmokers of NJ, which led the uphill push for passage of the legislation, said he is hopeful McGreevey will sign the measure before Christmas. "Publicly, the Governor has always said he supports the bill and I expect he will sign it shortly," Miller said. "This is a great day for the children of the state and their parents and grandparents, and I expect the Governor will recognize that fact." Under the legislation, only high-tech handguns that could be fired only by their owner could be purchased in New Jersey three years after the technology is developed and only after they are declared safe for use by the state Attorney General. Once "smart guns" are available, standard handguns could no longer be bought or used in New Jersey except by law enforcement officers. Antique and inoperable guns would be exempt from the law. "This was a hard-fought battle, but we are now in a position where we will be able to keep kids safe, by requiring that only the authorized user will be able to operate a handgun sold in New Jersey," said Senate co-President Richard J. Codey (D-Essex), who first co-sponsored the legislation in 1997. "We are also sending a clear message to the handgun manufacturers that as soon as the technology is perfected to produce childproof handguns for the mass-market, they will have a market in New Jersey." Opponents of the legislation consider it a form of gun control and say "smart gun" research is nothing more than fantasy. The Senate turned back a last-ditch plea by Sen. Gerald Cardinale (R-Bergen) to change the bill to allow standard handguns to be used in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, which represents the National Rifle Association in the state. The association, which has more than 100 clubs with 25,000 members, sponsors competitive shooting statewide. The legislation does exempt mainly military-style handguns used in competition sanctioned by federally sponsored marksmanship programs. Carol Katona, a lobbyist for the group and a competitive shooter, said the bill would prevent the training of young people for Olympic competition. "We are tired of being demonized," she said. "We are parents who love our children, and enjoy the sport and as long as we do it responsibly, we see no need for more controls." Once the Governor signs the bill, it will be up to researchers at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, other universities, or gun manufacturing companies to actually develop a "smart gun." NJIT is working on a technology through which a handgun would recognize its owner by the grip. Researchers cannot predict when, if ever, a "smart gun," will be ready for the public. McGreevey was embarrassed in October when lawmakers and lobbyists said privately that he and his aides attempted to scuttle the "smart gun" bill as part of a deal with the NRA to keep gun lobby from targeting him in his re-election in 2005. The Governor insisted he never opposed the measure. Ten Republicans joined 19 Democrats in support of the bill, including Senate co-President John O. Bennett (R-Monmouth), and Sen. Joseph Kyrillos (R-Monmouth), the state GOP chairman. The 5 negative votes were cast by Republicans and 5 of the 6 abstentions were Republicans.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:15:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 11:21:01 AM EDT by Saiga12]
as a kalif member, ive NEVER pissed on, shit on or bitched about another state or its members, and wont start now. i prefer not to kick people when there down. this law will prolly hit Kalif next year.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:18:34 AM EDT
We all must make sacrifices to help fight the war on terrorism.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 11:19:36 AM EDT by FooBarBaz]
Originally Posted By RBAD: McGreevey was embarrassed in October when lawmakers and lobbyists said privately that he and his aides attempted to scuttle the "smart gun" bill as part of a [i]deal with the NRA[/i] to keep gun lobby from targeting him in his re-election in 2005.
View Quote
Is this true? RBAD, get outta Jersey. I did about a year and a half ago and havent looked back. FooBarBaz
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:28:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:29:42 AM EDT
I've got too much family here. I'm trapped FOREVER! [:(]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:32:01 AM EDT
Nearly my entire family is in NJ, so I know how you feel. I go back for either Christmas or Thanksgiving, and try to get my folks or my brother and family down to texas once or twice a year as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 12:06:54 PM EDT by ProfGAB101]
It had better apply to all law enforecement... edit - no exemptions!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 12:09:07 PM EDT by RBAD]
Yeah.. Right ! Sure... Makes Sense... [;)] (SNIP) "[red]standard handguns could no longer be bought or used in New Jersey except by law enforcement officers.[/red]" (SNIP)
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:21:01 PM EDT
The only way to kill this is to force LE to use the same technology foisted on "civilians". It'll never pass if they do that. LE fights this all the way. Wonder why LE doesn't want this? [?]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:24:31 PM EDT
Wasn't one of the driving feely-goody points of this law so that officers could not be shot with their own weapons?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:25:36 PM EDT
This doesn't have anything to do with Kalifornistan. I'm not going to be supportive of the gov't of California's utopian fantasies, especially when I am paying some of the highest power rates in the country, thanks to a California law that protects it's citizens from the realities of the free market, they simply passed their utility expenses onto other states.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:36:01 PM EDT
There will be no private gun ownership in the US in 100yrs, with the possible exception of heavily regulated rifles and shotguns for ranchers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:44:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: We all must make sacrifices to help fight the war on terrorism.
View Quote
Ahhhh yes, the obligatory ATTEMPT to blame this on Republicans, while in fact, NJ is a TOTALITARIAN LIBERAL STATE. Want to know how this legislation will be meaningless? THE MANUFACTURERS STOP DEVELOPEMENT!!! Read the language more carefully....
Under the legislation, only high-tech handguns that could be fired only by their owner could be purchased in New Jersey three years [red]after the technology is developed[/red] and only after they are declared safe for use by the state Attorney General. [red]Once "smart guns" are available, standard handguns could no longer be bought or used in New Jersey[/red] except by law enforcement officers. Antique and inoperable guns would be exempt from the law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:35:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Balzac72: Ahhhh yes, the obligatory ATTEMPT to blame this on Republicans, while in fact, NJ is a TOTALITARIAN LIBERAL STATE.
View Quote
[red]Ten Republicans joined 19 Democrats in support of the bill[/red]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:42:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RBAD: I'd take THEIR laws in a heartbeat! [:(] [url]http://www.nj.com/statehouse/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1040109719210290.xml[/url] Senate gives nod to 'smart gun' bill Futuristic legislation aimed at child safety Tuesday, December 17, 2002 BY TOM HESTER Star-Ledger Staff Five years after it was first introduced in the Legislature as a futuristic way to protect children from shooting accidents, the Senate yesterday gave final legislative approval to a bill that would make New Jersey the first state to require the sale of handguns that can only be fired by their owners. The upper house approved the the bill, which would mandate "smart gun" technology -- once it is developed. The measure passed, 29-5, with 6 abstentions. [red]Gov. James E. McSleazy[/red], who came under fire from both sides of the debate after he was accused of striking a deal with the National Rifle Association to scuttle the "smart gun" legislation, said he will sign the bill quickly. His aides could not provide a date yesterday. "I commend the Senate and the Assembly on the passage of the Child Proof Handgun legislation," he said in a brief comment. "I look forward to signing the legislation." Bryan Miller, director of Ceasefire [red]Cocksmokers[/red] of NJ, which led the uphill push for passage of the legislation, said he is hopeful McGreevey will sign the measure before Christmas. "Publicly, the Governor has always said he supports the bill and I expect he will sign it shortly," Miller said. "This is a great day for the children of the state and their parents and grandparents, and I expect the Governor will recognize that fact." Under the legislation, only high-tech handguns that could be fired only by their owner could be purchased in New Jersey three years after the technology is developed and only after they are declared safe for use by the state Attorney General. Once "smart guns" are available, standard handguns could no longer be bought or used in New Jersey except by law enforcement officers. Antique and inoperable guns would be exempt from the law. "This was a hard-fought battle, but we are now in a position where we will be able to keep kids safe, by requiring that only the authorized user will be able to operate a handgun sold in New Jersey," said Senate co-President Richard J. Codey (D-Essex), who first co-sponsored the legislation in 1997. "We are also sending a clear message to the handgun manufacturers that as soon as the technology is perfected to produce childproof handguns for the mass-market, they will have a market in New Jersey." Opponents of the legislation consider it a form of gun control and say "smart gun" research is nothing more than fantasy. The Senate turned back a last-ditch plea by Sen. Gerald Cardinale (R-Bergen) to change the bill to allow standard handguns to be used in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, which represents the National Rifle Association in the state. The association, which has more than 100 clubs with 25,000 members, sponsors competitive shooting statewide. The legislation does exempt mainly military-style handguns used in competition sanctioned by federally sponsored marksmanship programs. Carol Katona, a lobbyist for the group and a competitive shooter, said the bill would prevent the training of young people for Olympic competition. "We are tired of being demonized," she said. "We are parents who love our children, and enjoy the sport and as long as we do it responsibly, we see no need for more controls." Once the Governor signs the bill, it will be up to researchers at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, other universities, or gun manufacturing companies to actually develop a "smart gun." NJIT is working on a technology through which a handgun would recognize its owner by the grip. Researchers cannot predict when, if ever, a "smart gun," will be ready for the public. McGreevey was embarrassed in October when lawmakers and lobbyists said privately that he and his aides attempted to scuttle the "smart gun" bill as part of a deal with the NRA to keep gun lobby from targeting him in his re-election in 2005. The Governor insisted he never opposed the measure. [blue]Ten Republicans joined 19 Democrats in support of the bill[/blue], including Senate co-President John O. Bennett (R-Monmouth), and Sen. Joseph Kyrillos (R-Monmouth), the state GOP chairman. The 5 negative votes were cast by Republicans and [blue]5 of the 6 abstentions were Republicans.[/blue]
View Quote
[red]Is someone jerking the collective chain??[/red] [blue]The bill would not have passed without republicans[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:47:53 PM EDT
The article is LEGIT ! [:(] (Sorry.. [b]I[/b] made a few edits along the way)[:D] The Republicans in NJ are the equivalent of Ted Kennedy Democrats. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:55:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86: The bill would not have passed without republicans
View Quote
Shaddup and keep voting for Republicans. Only they will protect your right to keep and bear arms.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:03:38 PM EDT
F@%* THAT! VOTE FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN WRONG!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:40:55 PM EDT
That means that if they start selling "smart gun" technology tomorrow, 3 yrs and 1 day from now you can't legally possess the handgun(s) you have now. New Jersey voters need to personally thank those 15 Republicans that made this bill possible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:45:25 PM EDT
Ahhh....the sweet sounds of fucking liberalism. Soak it all in, boys!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:59:49 AM EDT
It's likely they will never succeed in developing that technology. If that's the case, the law will never amount to anything other than giving liberals and antis the warm fuzzies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:06:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: It's likely they will never succeed in developing that technology. If that's the case, the law will never amount to anything other than giving liberals and antis the warm fuzzies.
View Quote
Arghhh!!! Unfortunately, you are most probably incorrect in that assumption. The [s]Shitty, Filthy, Disgusting[/s] Fine State of New Jersey is providing funds directly to NJIT and several firearms manufacturers to develop this "technology". Make no mistake about it, they WILL have a "working" prototype developed in short order. There are no provisions for rescinding the legislation and restrictions if the "technology" turns out to be a dismal failure. In effect, this will a complete ban on handgun ownership in our fine state. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:15:33 AM EDT
I don’t care how smart a gun is. If the person holding it has evil intent or if a child who has no firearms training is left to his or her own devices and imagination then bad things will happen. Why not do what works. Teach hands on firearms safety classes in school or make it available for after school. THISISME
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:17:30 AM EDT
I go to NJIT, the program is being developed 300 feet from where I'm sitting right now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2002 4:27:03 AM EDT by Ponyboy]
I have a hypothetical question. Let's say that a person, nobody in particular, voices that he/she wishes that a certain state, but it could be any state, slides off the continental shelf and into an unnamed body of water. Would that be considered bitching? [;)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:30:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Katana16j: I go to NJIT, the program is being developed 300 feet from where I'm sitting right now.
View Quote
Ok.. You now know your mission! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:54:37 AM EDT
hehehe...I have trouble calling the Republicans 'traitors', for the simple fact that it's not anything new. They were just voting in order to keep their jobs. Bret Shundler and Doug Forrester tried to campaign as Republicans, and it didn't work. Give anyone a HINT that you are for gun rights, and you're pretty much seen as wanting police stations to hand out free M-16s to anyone convicted of a felony. And hell, even if the big manufacturers don't work to develop this tech, there will be some small company who will design something that the AG will certify. IIRC there is some small NJ based firm claiming to be months away from a working model. Poof...instant handgun ban without using the word 'ban'. With regards to the NRA, that is an interesting pickle. They had a major push on the local gun rights groups to keep quiet about this legislation, because word was they made a deal with McSkeezey to veto it. Of course, for some reason word got leaked to the press, and by then it was pretty much too late to fight it.
Top Top