Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 10:58:55 AM EDT
I was reading this CNN story and saw it said, Large and Small arms fire.  

I was wondering what constitutes large arms fire?  50cal and up?

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/12/17/kabul.attack/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Artillery.  Small arms is traditionally infantry-type weapons up to and including small mortars and heavy machine-guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Large arms would have to be, as already said, mortars, artillery, armor,etc. I've repaired a lot of small arms but nothing bigger then a MK-19 40mm. I think of small arms as crew served machine guns and smaller.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
More media shit.

Notice that the 7-11 always gets robbed by a 'heavily armed gunman'?

I've NEVER heard of a lightly armed gunman.

What they probably mean is arty fire.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Large Arms Fire;
Large-caliber weapons, such as mortars, cannons, howitzers, missile and rocket launchers, that are designed to fire indirectly at targets spotted by other forces, such as armoured vehicles, infantry, and buildings.

Small Arms Fire;
Man portable or vehicle mounted light weapons, designed primarily for anti-personnel use. Inlcude rifles, pistols and light machine guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya but, what's a high powered rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top